2022 is350 engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-24, 09:51 PM
bmanis350
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2022 is350 engine

Hello club Lexus family.
I have a 2009 Lexus is350 with a bad engine and a 2022 is350 8 speed rwd parts car. I want to take the engine out of the 2022 and put it into mine along with the 8 speed transmission. The Work of fitting the engine is something I can handle easily what I cannot handle is the wiring and ecu tuning. I know that the wiring harness will have to change a bit to connect with my car the older gen is. I have both ecus and don’t know wich one to use either. If anyone has any knowledge on this topic it would be super helpful to me. If anyone can help me plan out this build thank you in advance
The following users liked this post:
firestart9 (01-30-24)
Old 01-26-24, 12:08 AM
coolrydz
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bmanis350
Hello club Lexus family.
I have a 2009 Lexus is350 with a bad engine and a 2022 is350 8 speed rwd parts car. I want to take the engine out of the 2022 and put it into mine along with the 8 speed transmission. The Work of fitting the engine is something I can handle easily what I cannot handle is the wiring and ecu tuning. I know that the wiring harness will have to change a bit to connect with my car the older gen is. I have both ecus and don’t know wich one to use either. If anyone has any knowledge on this topic it would be super helpful to me. If anyone can help me plan out this build thank you in advance
That's interesting, Im very eager to know how this build will go.
Old 01-26-24, 11:53 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by coolrydz
That's interesting, Im very eager to know how this build will go.
Likely not well if one wants to keep that 8spd trans. The engine ecu is the transmission ecu (TCU) and several CAN bus protocols and CAN bus entities and their perspective hex ID on the bus changed thus, tossing 8spd trans and ECU into aged IS is no simple task.

OP, is that 3.5 an FSE or more likely an FSK?

The most surefire means to have a running vehicle is to swap the block keeping all sensors, harnesses, and all that jazz from your car and moving it over... beyond, that you will have a ****** ton of work to do.

That said, start a list of where used parts and compare them. Specifically PI/FI injectors, ignition coils, TB and all that. If you really have a whole car one could likely swap everything but it will take a year.

Gl

Last edited by 2013FSport; 01-26-24 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-27-24, 12:56 AM
bmanis350
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Likely not well if one wants to keep that 8spd trans. The engine ecu is the transmission ecu (TCU) and several CAN bus protocols and CAN bus entities and their perspective hex ID on the bus changed thus, tossing 8spd trans and ECU into aged IS is no simple task.

OP, is that 3.5 an FSE or more likely an FSK?

The most surefire means to have a running vehicle is to swap the block keeping all sensors, harnesses, and all that jazz from your car and moving it over... beyond, that you will have a ****** ton of work to do.

That said, start a list of where used parts and compare them. Specifically PI/FI injectors, ignition coils, TB and all that. If you really have a whole car one could likely swap everything but it will take a year.

Gl
yes it definitely seems to be a lot of work but the parts are already here and I need a running car anyway. I believe the engine code is 2gr fks. I would like to keep the 2022 engine and transmission together and use its ecu but then I would have to figure out how to wire the rest of the car? Parts car is being stripped now hopefully this project can be done
Old 01-28-24, 03:43 AM
coolrydz
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bmanis350
yes it definitely seems to be a lot of work but the parts are already here and I need a running car anyway. I believe the engine code is 2gr fks. I would like to keep the 2022 engine and transmission together and use its ecu but then I would have to figure out how to wire the rest of the car? Parts car is being stripped now hopefully this project can be done
That's the spirit. I can't wait for the project updates, hopefully soon.
I'm sure the 3IS 350 was gonna make it much easier as compared to FSK engine. IMO
Old 01-29-24, 08:19 PM
bmanis350
5th Gear

Default Update

All parts are here.
the engine and transmission looks bigger than my 2 is.
I believe the next part of the build will be much harder. If anyone knows anything about compatibility, wiring, tuning please reach out to me.
The following users liked this post:
firestart9 (01-30-24)
Old 01-30-24, 01:41 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

I'd make an account on Toyota's TIS site and get a valid addition of Techstream and a Mongoose cable. TIS will get you schematics and countless troubleshooting guides that will help understand the challenge ahead as you compare the two cars functions...

As I stated before, keeping the 8spd means you're keeping that engine ECU. Now the list of actual compatible vs incompatible computers (body, ABS, Immobilizer, Combination meter, VSC, HVAC, EPS, and all that), shoot through the ceiling. Do you have the other gsuge cluster and can you get/do you have the whole wiring harness from the dash?

In short, you will need to compare all ECU PN's and hopefully more are the same than different but that's a big leap pulling from a 2022.

Those are just the ECU's I know of that talk to our current engine control ecu, let alone the countless others. I'm not trying to be a kill-joy here, more so inform people it's not task everyone can do.

Each wire to the ECM ECU will need verified and potential repinned, or modified. And any CAN entity hex ID change will need a black box that converts that ID location to the one you have on your car.

This can be done but it's not for the faint of heart. Do a search on this site for posts of mine about MPX and CAN bus communications. There are articles on here and on the web about what Toyota does.

Our cars use four seperate communication protocols. The engine and trans although in the same ECU use two different ones. I'm just saying it's complicated.
Old 01-30-24, 01:52 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Engine bay...