IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Where do y'all get brake pads and the like done?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-24, 02:49 PM
rainjacket
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where do y'all get brake pads and the like done?

A chain like Jiffy Lube or Firestone? A local mechanic that you use for everything? DIY? The dealership? Where do you prefer to take your car for this type of thing (not major repairs, but also not as routine as an oil change).

I have an IS 350C that I picked up back in December, and I haven't had any of this come up yet (except for replacing the battery, which I did at the dealership -- the old battery was also apparently still under half warranty).
Old 04-19-24, 03:05 PM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 205 Posts

Pads and rotors are very easy to change with basic tools. There are a lot of videos on YT that will take you through the process step by step.

I always DIY the simple stuff, GL.
Old 04-19-24, 03:27 PM
rainjacket
Rookie

Originally Posted by KennyFSU
Pads and rotors are very easy to change with basic tools. There are a lot of videos on YT that will take you through the process step by step.

I always DIY the simple stuff, GL.
Pads are too much work for me! I'll do most interior trim work (if you just have to take off part of the dash and replace something for example), lights, and anything else plug-and-play like engine air filter. But that's about it for me :-)
Old 04-19-24, 04:16 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rainjacket
Pads are too much work for me! I'll do most interior trim work (if you just have to take off part of the dash and replace something for example), lights, and anything else plug-and-play like engine air filter. But that's about it for me :-)
It really isn't too hard but if isn't for you then that is your prerogative. Your best bet is a local mechanic as it can be done without using techstream (unless you replace calipers). If you aren't comfortable hunting for a mechanic I'd go to a Toyota dealer before I went to on of those chains.
Old 04-25-24, 04:38 AM
rainjacket
Rookie

Very helpful, thanks! Brake pads is just one example, what about something like tire pressure sensors? It seems like it's very easy to swap out but that they do have to be synced to the computer. I was reading in some other threads that folks were happy with a place like Tires Plus or even Costco for this. Anybody have thoughts there?

For that matter, what about new tires, also Costco? (Not that I need new tires for a long time.) Mostly I'm just curious what other folks are doing.
Old 04-25-24, 03:52 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rainjacket
. I was reading in some other threads that folks were happy with a place like Tires Plus or even Costco for this. Anybody have thoughts there?

For that matter, what about new tires, also Costco? (Not that I need new tires for a long time.) Mostly I'm just curious what other folks are doing.
The last time I bought tires for my LS I got them at Tire Kingdom. After that I bought tires for my Nissan Titan and my mom's Camry on Tire-Rack and had them installed at pep boys.