IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 lexus isf bass went out (no bass)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-24, 09:59 PM
Stunis
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 lexus isf bass went out (no bass)

Hello all, i’ve been doing lots of research and i’ve come to a dead end. i recently had my bass go out in my 08 lexus isf but everything else works perfectly well (i think) . i replaced the oem subwoofer with my other 2012 is250 sub and no change. So after that i went to an audio shop and they told me it could possibly be a wire within the ML amp. I’m not sure if anybody else has had this issue after researching forums. If anybody could tell me if there’s a solution ? or the best way to fix the amp if it’s the problem ? or maybe find a replacement, or just buy an after market amp it would really help a lot. thanks.
Old 04-25-24, 10:16 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by Stunis
Hello all, i’ve been doing lots of research and i’ve come to a dead end. i recently had my bass go out in my 08 lexus isf but everything else works perfectly well (i think) . i replaced the oem subwoofer with my other 2012 is250 sub and no change. So after that i went to an audio shop and they told me it could possibly be a wire within the ML amp. I’m not sure if anybody else has had this issue after researching forums. If anybody could tell me if there’s a solution ? or the best way to fix the amp if it’s the problem ? or maybe find a replacement, or just buy an after market amp it would really help a lot. thanks.

Anyone else drive the car that might have fussed with settings?

Specifically you are saying one channel (bass), has zero output but all other speakers work?

In the time you've owned the car, you know it used to work, now it doesn't, my question is, do you blast a lot of loud bass? If yes, it may be time to pull the amp and inspect components for damage. Some PCBA components can show physical damage while others show none at all forcing one to do electronic troubleshooting.
Are you up for pulling the amp? I'm guessing we can find a schematic showing output from the amp to bass speaker, then you follow those traces to circuitry designated for driving the load and/or do a quick continuity test to verify bass wires connect to bass speaker.
The following users liked this post:
Stunis (04-25-24)
Old 04-25-24, 01:42 PM
Stunis
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 2013FSport

Specifically you are saying one channel (bass), has zero output but all other speakers work?

In the time you've owned the car, you know it used to work, now it doesn't, my question is, do you blast a lot of loud bass? If yes, it may be time to pull the amp and inspect components for damage. Some PCBA components can show physical damage while others show none at all forcing one to do electronic troubleshooting.
Are you up for pulling the amp? I'm guessing we can find a schematic showing output from the amp to bass speaker, then you follow those traces to circuitry designated for driving the load and/or do a quick continuity test to verify bass wires connect to bass speaker.
The amp has been pulled, i didn’t check for any issues tho. i’m just curious to know if it’s the amp or subwoofer that needs fixing/ replacing if it’s simply the bass that went out.
Old 04-25-24, 01:53 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

The amp has been pulled, i didn’t check for any issues tho. i’m just curious to know if it’s the amp or subwoofer that needs fixing/ replacing if it’s simply the bass that went out.
PS - you'd have to open the amp and do a fine inspection of components. Of course you also have to know what you're looking for. Burned components, bulging caps melted stuff.
Give this a shot...

Anyone wanting more info about their audio, Nav, Amp, or anything else in the center;

1) Engine on, vehicle stopped, turn the light switch to OFF
2) Press and hold the Info button and turn the light switch on then off 3 times.
The touch screen will go into a new mode offering options for equipment versions, hardware versions and diagnostic features. You will also find settings for mic input and bluetooth volumes. Could be helpful if someone can't hear you.

Here are some crappy pictures. Units with Nav will have more options.
Turn the key off when done.

#2IS Audio Test
Go into System Check Mode.... on each one it will give more details if selected. All menus are nested, sort of like Techstream which you might consider using to.

Report back what you find.

The following users liked this post:
Stunis (04-25-24)
Old 04-25-24, 05:39 PM
Stunis
7th Gear

PS - you'd have to open the amp and do a fine inspection of components. Of course you also have to know what you're looking for. Burned components, bulging caps melted stuff.
Give this a shot...

Go into System Check Mode.... on each one it will give more details if selected. All menus are nested, sort of like Techstream which you might consider using to.

Report back what you find.

this is what i see

Old 04-25-24, 06:09 PM
Stunis
7th Gear

Old 04-26-24, 02:52 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Thats clear as mud from an old creek now! That said, it seems it may not be the AMP, rather a signal level fault at the HU? You don't have a lot posts so, I'm guessing asking in the ISF section may not help. But it would be interesting if someone with ML would post up a couple of those pictures of the same thing.

It seems you need to check if there is low level signal to the bass channel at the amp. I'm guessing a hand held meter set the milli-amps AC would show you something!