IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2005 is250 - power steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-24 | 12:18 AM
Sunnym996
2nd gear

Default 2005 is250 - power steering

Hello

I've been dealing with one thing after another once I have fixed a fault and I'm about losing my mind at this point.
Right now, someone had accidentally disconnected the power steering module from my car. This in turn has made steering stiff and the PS light is now on.

​​​​​I've had starting issues in the past. Believed to have some electrical issue where I've had the alternator replaced and purchased a new battery. (Not sure if these electrical issued could've faulted the power steering)

I'm unsure how to fix this. I've never had such an electric run car, do I need to take this in to get calibrated? Can I get this fixed at home? Do I need to purchase a whole new module?

Please help! It's the weekend. No mechanics are open. I'm also the point where I may just sell the car. Reluctantly. I've been through so much with my car so I don't want to let go at this point, but this problem I can't solve.
Old 05-28-24 | 09:04 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Hello,

Did you ever plug the Power Steering ECU back in?

Are you sure you have a 2005 Model Year IS250? Those only started from 2006 Model Year, it seems like you are not in the right forum section. Here is a link to a 2nd generation IS from 2006 to 2013 model years, which I think is what you have.

The story is a bit confusing, if the Power Steering ECU is disconnected, then yeah, you will get no Power Steering, unless you plug it back in. I don't think there is anything particularly complicated about said system, but for it to show any parameters, you will likely need to invest in a Techstream Cable, which will allow you to connect directly to the Power Steering ECU and read all the Faults it has stored.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 05-29-24 | 06:15 PM
TobiasSing
Intermediate

The second generation IS(250/350) was released a year earlier in 2005 in some areas of the world, just not the US. I will ask for the thread to be moved.
Old 05-30-24 | 02:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Sunnym996
Hello

I've been dealing with one thing after another once I have fixed a fault and I'm about losing my mind at this point.
Right now, someone had accidentally disconnected the power steering module from my car. This in turn has made steering stiff and the PS light is now on.

​​​​​I've had starting issues in the past. Believed to have some electrical issue where I've had the alternator replaced and purchased a new battery. (Not sure if these electrical issued could've faulted the power steering)

I'm unsure how to fix this. I've never had such an electric run car, do I need to take this in to get calibrated? Can I get this fixed at home? Do I need to purchase a whole new module?

Please help! It's the weekend. No mechanics are open. I'm also the point where I may just sell the car. Reluctantly. I've been through so much with my car so I don't want to let go at this point, but this problem I can't solve.
You first need to run diagnostics to see what DTCs are present, if any. If the module has been replaced, it needs to be initialized using Techstream. If you suspect there is a fault, running the initialization routine might help. There is also a yaw sensor in the car that VDIM uses to help steering and it needs to be initialized any time the alignment is adjusted. Many shops do not know this or do this.

AFA "accidentally" disconnecting the PS ECU - there's no way it could happen accidentally. There are multiple locks on those connectors (AMHIK) and even when working correctly, they can be very challenging to remove. You would have to release or break the locks before removing any of the three connectors and that is no accident.
Old 05-31-24 | 09:15 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

And yes, if your battery goes dead from age or failed alternator, the first thing to die is the power steering. Adding to that, you say you've had a lot of issues. If those issues were addressed incorrectly, like for example reconnecting the battery with the leads reversed, guess what happens??

The fuseable link gets blown. Guess what the most common fuse is that opens and disconnects, the 80Amp power steering fuse within the fuseable link.

If you bought a new PS module it needs calibrated using Techstream software. Toyota Lexus can do this. If not new, install old one as it is likely fine.

If the battery had the polarity reversed, check the 80A fuse. 99% chance it is blown. Do a search for fuseable link. Hundreds have been replaced due to mistakes. Its ~ $135 component. It's by the battery with a clear cover over it.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (06-01-24)