IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car won't start after overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-24, 07:43 PM
Shuck
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car won't start after overheating

I have a 2010 IS250, I was driving and heard a clicking sound, the temp gauge went all the way left to the cold side and the car started to overheat. I pulled off and it died, I wasn't in a good spot so started it again and got it to a better spot and it died and wouldn't start again. I opened the hood and there was coolant everywhere, I towed it home, read the codes and got:
P0117(Engine coolant temp sensor-low input)
P2017(Intake manifold air control actuator position sensor/switch, bank 1-circuit high

So I replaced the coolant temp sensor and nothing, it cranked but won't start and the code didn't go away. Towed it to a shop and he said there was no voltage to the direct injection high pressure fuel pump, it was bad. That didn't sound right so I took it to another shop and they said the water pump was bad. I changed that out today but it still won't start and the two codes remain. I am stumped, did the ecm shut off power to the fuel pump when it started to overheat and why did that code not go away when I replaced the coolant sensor. Any help would be appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
Yodog (06-20-24)
Old 06-20-24, 08:17 PM
Yodog
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Shuck
I have a 2010 IS250, I was driving and heard a clicking sound, the temp gauge went all the way left to the cold side and the car started to overheat. I pulled off and it died, I wasn't in a good spot so started it again and got it to a better spot and it died and wouldn't start again. I opened the hood and there was coolant everywhere, I towed it home, read the codes and got:
P0117(Engine coolant temp sensor-low input)
P2017(Intake manifold air control actuator position sensor/switch, bank 1-circuit high

So I replaced the coolant temp sensor and nothing, it cranked but won't start and the code didn't go away. Towed it to a shop and he said there was no voltage to the direct injection high pressure fuel pump, it was bad. That didn't sound right so I took it to another shop and they said the water pump was bad. I changed that out today but it still won't start and the two codes remain. I am stumped, did the ecm shut off power to the fuel pump when it started to overheat and why did that code not go away when I replaced the coolant sensor. Any help would be appreciated.
maybe valve cover leak? Or maybe you just need to press on the brake pedal super duper hard and pump it simultaneously when pressing the start button trying to turn on the car (wiggle your steering wheel to the left n right too)