IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Exhaust nut and bolt

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-24, 01:18 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Exhaust nut and bolt

I have a full catback exhaust system and the new system comes with 6 pairs of nuts and bolts. 4 for the front end where it connects to the cats (2 per bank) and the other two for the connection just before the axle back section. All 6 for f The nuts and bolts supplied are the same. But looking at the current original ones on the car, the back 2 are some sort of long bolts with a really stiff spring. Question is do I use the original ones with spring or use the ones supplied without spring? What’s the purpose of a bolt with a spring at the back compared to just a straight bolt and but?
Old 07-28-24, 02:34 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus-is2
I have a full catback exhaust system and the new system comes with 6 pairs of nuts and bolts. 4 for the front end where it connects to the cats (2 per bank) and the other two for the connection just before the axle back section. All 6 for f The nuts and bolts supplied are the same. But looking at the current original ones on the car, the back 2 are some sort of long bolts with a really stiff spring. Question is do I use the original ones with spring or use the ones supplied without spring? What’s the purpose of a bolt with a spring at the back compared to just a straight bolt and but?
If you notice the OEM gasket to axleback is a cup and socket. The springs allow some motion without introducing a leak. The special bolts typcally are so large in diameter up the shank they only work with OEM hardware. I'd imagine you can't use them and will be using those supplied.
The following users liked this post:
lexus-is2 (07-29-24)
Old 07-29-24, 12:39 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
If you notice the OEM gasket to axleback is a cup and socket. The springs allow some motion without introducing a leak. The special bolts typcally are so large in diameter up the shank they only work with OEM hardware. I'd imagine you can't use them and will be using those supplied.
does they mean using the nut and bolt supplied has a chance of introducing a leak? They’ve told me to use oem gasket in the joint for the new one. I’ve ordered a new oem gasket which looks like the attached picture. Plus the original spring and bolt I can’t see a seperate nut for it. I think the nut might be part of the original mid section. If the oem bolt and spring is to be able to fit through the new exhaust, should I use that instead and just put a matching size nut on the other end?

Or just stick to the standard nut and bolt supplied? Should I use thread locker on the bolts and which colour?

thanks

Old 07-29-24, 04:03 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Hindsite says, if current axle back uses that flange donut, and has spring bolt, you should be able to use it again. The bolt has a significant step from thread size to shank size where the shanks act as alignment dowels.
The following users liked this post:
lexus-is2 (07-30-24)
Old 07-30-24, 11:44 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

One concern I have using the original bolt with the spring is that it appears that the original bolt with spring threads into the midsection joint which has a factory welded nut. Therefore having the spring on the bolt end makes sense as that’s the side that could work itself lose from vibrations whereas the other side the nut is welded. Whereas for this new exhaust there is no welded nut and therefore if I was to put the original bolt with spring from one side and the use a nut on the other side, doesn’t that mean the vibrations are only being absorbed on the bolt end and not on the nut end potentially meaning that the vibrations can cause the nut end to come lose ? I’ve seen some people put double nuts. Not sure if that helps?
Old 07-30-24, 01:45 PM
lexus-is2
Advanced

The exhaust seller told me to re-use the doughnut gasket on the section of their exhaust but their exhaust flange looks completely different. It’s in the same location where the current spring loaded joint it. But the difference is that the new exhaust the mid section and back section seem to mate up with a flat flange so I find it difficult to understand how the doughnut gasket will work on this joint. I’ve attached a picture of the joint where seller is telling me to re-use gasket but I just can’t see how the doughnut one will work on this as one side will go into the recess maybe but the other side is the same but the doughnut is flat on the opposite side

is this right? Am I missing something?

Old 07-31-24, 06:07 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Recape please.
Catless midpipe and axleback? And axleback was bolted to OEM midpipe? If yes, you have problems.
The picture above requires a flat gasket, correct. OEM donut is no good.
I have OEM midpipe and F-Sport axleback, it retained the donut. That said, the F-Sport axleback is three pieces, the Y pipe uses flat flanges with steel gaskets. Think in terms of o-ring like thickness but steel with compression rings like some drain bolts.

I can't find the part number but it doesn't help you anyway.
Old 08-08-24, 03:51 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Recape please.
Catless midpipe and axleback? And axleback was bolted to OEM midpipe? If yes, you have problems.
The picture above requires a flat gasket, correct. OEM donut is no good.
I have OEM midpipe and F-Sport axleback, it retained the donut. That said, the F-Sport axleback is three pieces, the Y pipe uses flat flanges with steel gaskets. Think in terms of o-ring like thickness but steel with compression rings like some drain bolts.

I can't find the part number but it doesn't help you anyway.
Ok maybe I should explain better. So it’s a complete system that connects to the original cat flanges. It replaces the complete original mid pipe onwards. The new mid pipe has matching flanges to mate with the original cat flange and I’ve got a set of new oem gaskets for that.

the thing is that it’s made in 3 sections probably for easy assembly and transportation too. The new mid pipe goes to the back approximately where the original one used to sit and then it connects using the picture flange above to the rear sections. That is the flange that I can’t figure out what sort of gasket I need for it because they have not supplied a gasket for that. And that’s the same flange joint I was asking if I need to put oem spring bolts instead of the nut and bolt with washers that they supplied.