IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is250/tsx/325

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-05, 09:32 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is250/tsx/325

Since the GS thread had the comparison between some of the models in the category I thought it would be fitting to have one at the entry level as well.

I excluded the G35, TL based on size and cost. I also excluded the C class based on cost (although a base C230 would be close). I left out the A4 cause the reliability is rather poor.

The comparisons assume 06 MY cars since the E90 325 and IS250 will be available as such. So by next fall we'll have all equiped with a 6MT and the base model should have about 210HP (assuming the TSX gets a slight bump) and all three will be in the $28K ball park (less for the TSX more for the 325).

I know people will say there's no way you can get a 325 for that much, but trust me if you forgoe the options there is - and yes I for one would take a base 325 - the only option I might consider is the fold down rear seat (unless it's standrd on the E90).

Of course the standard feature list will vary with the TSX including everything but NAV, the IS250 will have most items and the 325 have the least.

All will be in the low 7s 0-60 range. So then, what sets them apart?
Old 01-05-05, 10:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by biker
Since the GS thread had the comparison between some of the models in the category I thought it would be fitting to have one at the entry level as well.

I excluded the G35, TL based on size and cost. I also excluded the C class based on cost (although a base C230 would be close). I left out the A4 cause the reliability is rather poor.

The comparisons assume 06 MY cars since the E90 325 and IS250 will be available as such. So by next fall we'll have all equiped with a 6MT and the base model should have about 210HP (assuming the TSX gets a slight bump) and all three will be in the $28K ball park (less for the TSX more for the 325).

I know people will say there's no way you can get a 325 for that much, but trust me if you forgoe the options there is - and yes I for one would take a base 325 - the only option I might consider is the fold down rear seat (unless it's standrd on the E90).

Of course the standard feature list will vary with the TSX including everything but NAV, the IS250 will have most items and the 325 have the least.

Lexus has stated they are going after the 325. Clearly they think the 325 is the "man" in this segment. So we need a 6 cylinder and RWD to be a true competitor. The TSX is nice, but offers neither. So its not even a consideration.
The new 325 will be bumped in HP, so it will be a very good competition and try to extend its winning streak. Hopefully the new E90 3 does not let any weight or size increase hurt handling.
I actually would consider the G35 competition, you can have a leather/sunroof 4 door for 28k and easily, many models at 30k. It is big though, too big for these cars, too small for the next class up. They took the TL approach in making an in-betweener.

IS vs new 3 will be a great competition!
Old 01-05-05, 10:05 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

edit: Being not too fluent in BMW's internal factory code (e90, e36, etc..), therefore sorry if the 2004 bmw that's discussed here doesn't apply to what you are attempting to compare.

Having owned both a 2003 is300 and a 2004 bmw325 convertible, here's my personal verdict.

Although the is300 drives a lot more sporty than the 325, to me, 325's interior is by 2 steps much more refined than the is. edit: also, although the 2's interior might look similar in capacity, the bmw even smaller, the 325 i drive actually feels far more spacious than is300. This really took me by a pleasant surprise.

325's steering wheel, the metal part gives a really soothing feeling especially during long-term driving.

bmw's doors are a lot heavier. Some people love the european feeling that gives them an allusion of added security. For my perpetually feable arms, is300 wins in this category. Much easier to access in-n-out of the car.

is300's stock sound systme blows 325 away. to me at least.

bmw drives heavier..., is300 feels really fast. these 2 cars offer 2 completely different driving experience. I like to plug and go, so is300 gets my vote here.

reliability wise, i haven't had the luck to encounter any beemer problems YET. and guys here will tell you that toyota's bulletproof.

small thing, but i like the dim orange light(interior ambient light) shooting down from top of the BMW'sinterior.

it doesn't look like that you are seeking for the convertible option, so i'll leave out the part how much different and exciting it feels to drive a beemer convertible.

Last edited by tzu911; 01-05-05 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 12:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i heard / read that the tsx is a good handling car, so i think it's decent for its price, it's a fun car to drive. but talk about driving experience i think the is3 and the 325 has better feedback compared to the tsx. if you go hardcore i think the is3 and the 325 are more of a driver's car.

there are just too little info about the new is3 coming so it's hard to compare. but seems like they are going to be eyeing on the 330 as well, so the different in engine options (which they promised already) is very important, coz' they want to make the IS a broad enough range cars for everyone to purchase

with the current generations, i just have to say that lexus is doing a very decent killing with just one model of is (is300) against all bimmer 3 series
Old 01-05-05, 02:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 2000gs300
edit: Being not too fluent in BMW's internal factory code (e90, e36, etc..), therefore sorry if the 2004 bmw that's discussed here doesn't apply to what you are attempting to compare.

Having owned both a 2003 is300 and a 2004 bmw325 convertible, here's my personal verdict.

Although the is300 drives a lot more sporty than the 325, to me, 325's interior is by 2 steps much more refined than the is. edit: also, although the 2's interior might look similar in capacity, the bmw even smaller, the 325 i drive actually feels far spacious than is300. This really took me by a pleasant surprise.

325's steering wheel, the metal part gives a really soothing feeling especially during long-term driving.

bmw's doors are a lot heavier. Some people love that european feeling which gives them an allusion of added security. For my perpetually feable arms, is300 wins in this category. Much easier for access in-n-out of the car.

is300's stock sound systme blows 325 away. to me at least.

bmw drives heavier..., is300 feels really fast. these 2 cars offer 2 completely driving experience. I like to plug and go, so is300 gets my vote here.

reliability wise, i haven't had the luck to encounter any beemer problems YET. and guys here will tell you that toyota's bulletproof.

small thing, but i like the dim orange light(interior ambient light) shooting down from top of the BMW'sinterior.

it doesn't look like that you are seeking for the convertible option, so i'll leave out the part how much different and exciting it feels to drive a beemer convertible.

Thanks for the write up.
Rom, yeah the Japanese traditionaly have offered only 1 maybe 2 models. Lexus wanting to truly becoming a worldwide power, will have to match BMWs and Benzs multiple offerings.
Old 01-05-05, 02:59 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha, thanx man. i was tempted to put it in excel format.

when will is300 have a factory convertible version out....
think about it, a 6 cylinders lexus convertible, how exciting would that be!

sc430's front, imo, is not nearly as sharp as is300...
and it's 8 cylinders, too much for L.A.'s gas price

Last edited by tzu911; 01-05-05 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 10:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks for the write up.
Rom, yeah the Japanese traditionaly have offered only 1 maybe 2 models. Lexus wanting to truly becoming a worldwide power, will have to match BMWs and Benzs multiple offerings.
yup, i love the idea that lexus is going the euro style, good for the future
Old 01-05-05, 10:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 2000gs300
haha, thanx man. i was tempted to put it in excel format.

when will is300 have a factory convertible version out....
think about it, a 6 cylinders lexus convertible, how exciting would that be!

sc430's front, imo, is not nearly as sharp as is300...
and it's 8 cylinders, too much for L.A.'s gas price
wrong idea man, very wrong. the is300 eats just as much as as my 2 v8. the i6 on the is300 does NOT save gas at all!!!!! in fact, given that, i love driving my two v8 more than my is3 coz' they are smoother

but i can see about the front (and rear) of the sc430 though. the car is pretty extreme to most people
Old 01-06-05, 02:22 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus has stated they are going after the 325. Clearly they think the 325 is the "man" in this segment. So we need a 6 cylinder and RWD to be a true competitor. The TSX is nice, but offers neither. So its not even a consideration.
!
In the big picture world, most folks don't know or care much about FWD vs. RWD (but I agree that most other things being equal I'd take RWD). And since when is the source of the power that important. If the 210HP came from a 2.5L V8 it would somehow be better than a V6?
Acura came from nowhere and managed to take over from the A4 as the FWD alternative to the 325.
And while it is interesting to hear about the current models, those comparisons might not have any bearing on the 06 models both of which will be new from the ground up.
Old 01-10-05, 12:45 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

In the big picture world, most folks don't know or care much about FWD vs. RWD (but I agree that most other things being equal I'd take RWD). And since when is the source of the power that important. If the 210HP came from a 2.5L V8 it would somehow be better than a V6?
Acura came from nowhere and managed to take over from the A4 as the FWD alternative to the 325.
And while it is interesting to hear about the current models, those comparisons might not have any bearing on the 06 models both of which will be new from the ground up.
I agree that hp-wise there may not be a difference between a 4 and a 6, but there will be a torque difference. That said, I think a small turbocharged 4 car would be a blast to drive. Think Golf or Miata.
Old 09-19-14, 12:41 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Id rather get the tsx 4 cylinder with 200hp whereas the is250 its 200hp and its v6 lolwut. Bmw no good. Not reliable. Vtec rules!