IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Business Week article confirms IS350 to have "well over" 300hp.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-05, 08:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SexySC
So how does something like a 360 hp/375 lb/ft GS460 vs. a 315 hp/285 /b/ft GS350 sound to you ?
for me it's of course different but for general people, they might want to see 380hp
Old 02-24-05, 05:41 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
for me it's of course different but for general people, they might want to see 380hp
I think I may be quite "generous" already for both models, you know with Lexus, they may not end up being that high.
Old 02-24-05, 07:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

. however though, you can't deny the fact hat in the industry, people pay more attention to hp number than tq?
Part of it depends on where you are. HP affects ultimate top speed more than acceleration...it is an indication of how much power the engine can produce at high RPM's, where air resistance and drag come into play...hence it is a more important figure in Europe, particularly in Germany, where speed limits are either nonexistant or much higher than in the U.S. and people usually shift gears at higher RPM's.
Here in the U.S., where acceleration is considered more important than top speed, torque is a more important figure than HP because, as the amount of twisting force the engine crankshaft produces when it meets the transmission, torque is much more important than HP both for low-RPM acceleration and for towing capacity, as in trucks and large SUV's.

You are correct that the average person doesn't really understand the difference...even as a car enthusiast I did not really understand it myself for a long time.
Old 02-24-05, 08:40 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HP/tq numbers are also just one factor in performance - weight is the other big one. That IS350 w/ 3xx HP won't go very fast if it ends up being some 3500lb pig. My guess Lexus found a way to keep it below the 3300lb the BMW330 weighs.
Old 02-24-05, 09:13 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Not long before GS450h is announced in New York

I don't have any factory information other than conversations with Lexus engineers yet the range of the HP on the IS350 that has been bandied about is 310 HP to 320 HP. Let's split the difference. It will be at around 315 HP @ 6,000 plus RPM's. Because of available torque the LS430 is a sleeper at 5.9 seconds 0-60. My torque estimate is about 280 ft/lbs for the IS350. Now imagine taking the 3.5 High Performance engine and adding an Electric Motor Generator to supplant the torque at the lowend of the Revs and you get the GS450h. At that point you have a V6 that outperforms the normally aspirated 4.3 V8. I am guessing you should get around 375 to 390 horsepower. The GS460 then becomes necessary if you still want to offer a conventional V8. The factory guys also told me that the new GS430 really has a 0-60 of 5.6 so for all of those people who think it isn't an improvement on the old GS400 the transmission change to a 6 speed gives it more range in both performance and fuel efficency than the Gen. 2. It handles way better stock than the Gen 2. When the CL boys start modifying it then it might be race worthy. The Electric power steering is quick and easy to control. The VDIM is like magic happens on the slick stuff or when your tires start to look like Bologna. Now I'm getting hungry for speed.......

Last edited by Rockville; 02-24-05 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-24-05, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Part of it depends on where you are. HP affects ultimate top speed more than acceleration...it is an indication of how much power the engine can produce at high RPM's, where air resistance and drag come into play...hence it is a more important figure in Europe, particularly in Germany, where speed limits are either nonexistant or much higher than in the U.S. and people usually shift gears at higher RPM's.
Here in the U.S., where acceleration is considered more important than top speed, torque is a more important figure than HP because, as the amount of twisting force the engine crankshaft produces when it meets the transmission, torque is much more important than HP both for low-RPM acceleration and for towing capacity, as in trucks and large SUV's.

You are correct that the average person doesn't really understand the difference...even as a car enthusiast I did not really understand it myself for a long time.
man you are not getting what i am trying to say. i know all about hp and tq (better be). but it's safe to say that 90% of the general public they dont' give a damn about it. heck, a lot of people who got the sl55 they don't know what they are getting anyway (please, i saw a 60 yr old lady driving it, tell me about it)

my gs4 is ONLY 300hp v8 but with the tc and lsd (no increase in hp) my car is fast compared to a lot of other cars, so yes hp and tq are only part of the issue, but to most people, they only look at one number and be with it
Old 02-24-05, 09:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I think I may be quite "generous" already for both models, you know with Lexus, they may not end up being that high.
i know what you saying that's the good and sad part i guess. lexus don't play the hp numbers, but they know if they don't "keep up" it's going to hurt them
Old 02-24-05, 09:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

i know what you saying that's the good and sad part i guess. lexus don't play the hp numbers, but they know if they don't "keep up" it's going to hurt them
Even if the IS350 does get 315hp as many have reported, I don't even think they'll necessarily match it with the GS350. Even with Infinit, they only bump the 6MT coupe version of the G35 to 298hp(with a reduced torque from 270 to 260)for 2005, & the M35 has only 280hp. So it shouldn't be difficult for Lexus to make enough of a differentiation for the GS460 from the GS350 even in hp.

But I think ' v e heard that the new S class will be bumped from S500 to S550, & 7 series from 745 to 748(?)so Lexus must try to keep up.
Old 02-24-05, 10:05 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Sexy SC that's the conventional route

Once Lexus turns down the Hybrid avenue the others can only watch and learn. Maybe Lexus will make a GS300, GS350, and GS450h and GS460 when all is said and done. Expect more hybrids to come to market and you will see an IS hybrid next. This is somewhat analgous to Mercedes history of using superchargers to increase performance. Lexus has always stayed the normally aspirated course. Now they will have the first high performance hybrid sedan on the market. Mercedes has already enlisted the help of GM to do a joint venture and produce a hybrid vehicle. GM has experience with large trucks and buses. They will be playing catch up and will come across a lot of patents along the way.....
Old 02-24-05, 10:09 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Out of sequence in thread

Originally Posted by Rockville
I don't have any factory information other than conversations with Lexus engineers yet the range of the HP on the IS350 that has been bandied about is 310 HP to 320 HP. Let's split the difference. It will be at around 315 HP @ 6,000 plus RPM's. Because of available torque the LS430 is a sleeper at 5.9 seconds 0-60. My torque estimate is about 280 ft/lbs for the IS350. Now imagine taking the 3.5 High Performance engine and adding an Electric Motor Generator to supplant the torque at the lowend of the Revs and you get the GS450h. At that point you have a V6 that outperforms the normally aspirated 4.3 V8. I am guessing you should get around 375 to 390 horsepower. The GS460 then becomes necessary if you still want to offer a conventional V8. The factory guys also told me that the new GS430 really has a 0-60 of 5.6 so for all of those people who think it isn't an improvement on the old GS400 the transmission change to a 6 speed gives it more range in both performance and fuel efficency than the Gen. 2. It handles way better stock than the Gen 2. When the CL boys start modifying it then it might be race worthy. The Electric power steering is quick and easy to control. The VDIM is like magic happens on the slick stuff or when your tires start to look like Bologna. Now I'm getting hungry for speed.......
Expect the GS350 to have the same muscles as its little brother but carry more weight.
Old 02-24-05, 10:15 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But I think ' v e heard that the new S class will be bumped from S500 to S550, & 7 series from 745 to 748(?)so Lexus must try to keep up.
That would be the 750 from BMW (about 370HP). The same engine will be going into the 550.
Old 02-24-05, 12:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Even if the IS350 does get 315hp as many have reported, I don't even think they'll necessarily match it with the GS350. Even with Infinit, they only bump the 6MT coupe version of the G35 to 298hp(with a reduced torque from 270 to 260)for 2005, & the M35 has only 280hp. So it shouldn't be difficult for Lexus to make enough of a differentiation for the GS460 from the GS350 even in hp.

very good point andrew. it depends on how lexus tunes their car i suppose. the only thing i see is i should try to sell my is3 asap
Old 02-24-05, 12:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

. . . the only thing i see is i should try to sell my is3 asap
. . . for the new IS350 or Gene's SC430 ? or both ? & are you still thinking about your favourite LS430 too
Old 02-24-05, 02:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

man you are not getting what i am trying to say. i know all about hp and tq (better be). but it's safe to say that 90% of the general public they dont' give a damn about it. heck, a lot of people who got the sl55 they don't know what they are getting anyway (please, i saw a 60 yr old lady driving it, tell me about it)

my gs4 is ONLY 300hp v8 but with the tc and lsd (no increase in hp) my car is fast compared to a lot of other cars, so yes hp and tq are only part of the issue, but to most people, they only look at one number and be with it
I DO get what you are trying to say...we're just saying it two different ways. I DO understand that most people don't know or care about the HP-torque difference.
This has traditonally been one of the problems with Honda engines.....especially some of the smaller higher-performance fours like on the S2000, Si, RSX, etc.....
They make great HP figures per liter of displacement but no torque.....and you have to rev the hell out of the engines to GET that HP.

Frankly, on the next IS, I'm not as concerned about either HP or torque as I am AWD availability. Unlike you SoCal guys, we sometimes NEED it here on the East Coast....but AWD helps even in rain.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-24-05 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-24-05, 09:00 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Lexus AWD is untraditional

I drove the GS300 AWD this evening in the snow and it felt much like a RWD except it really came out of the hole well. Instead of exhibiting understeer it had some rear end drift. This was with the all season run flat 17's. The 70% rear power makes it mimic a rear drive. It had no problem getting purchase on the straights but the VSC tried to keep me inbounds if I was too aggressive in the curves. Overall it was fun. The real surprise was when I tried the GS430 and it didn't matter what I did it just went where I pointed it. It took off very slowly even with the hammer down. The VDIM just overrided my bad decisions. Now if I could only get it to handle my finances...... The IS300 was rarely seen in our region with the VSC. It could definitely have benefitted from VSC. The manual shifts had a limited slip diff. for a while and then it was deleted as an option. The IS250 AWD should be popular here in the East and in the Central region. You folks in Florida, Texas and California will get more of the RWD's. I hope they all have VSC. Maybe the IS350 will be offerred with VDIM like its big brother the GS430.

Quick Reply: Business Week article confirms IS350 to have "well over" 300hp.