IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS250/350 Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 03:00 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay... After an exhaustive one-to-one comparison, I've finally found ONE (1) feature that the new GS has but the new IS doesn't... Automatic tilt-down and folding mirrors!!

I'm guessing that perhaps the smaller size of the IS makes this feature unnecessary?
Old 03-01-05, 03:38 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...just for the hell of it
Old 03-01-05, 03:51 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

*DROOL*They better build that LF-A.....just look at the cooling fans in the duct,while the lame executives at Toyota say that there is no place for this vehicle for a company so invested in hybrids,there sure as hell is a place for this halo vehicle in the Lexus line up.Any one else agree??
Old 03-01-05, 04:18 PM
Nas
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robloc93
*DROOL*They better build that LF-A.....just look at the cooling fans in the duct,while the lame executives at Toyota say that there is no place for this vehicle for a company so invested in hybrids,there sure as hell is a place for this halo vehicle in the Lexus line up.Any one else agree??
Lexus needs to go ahead and make this car. This way they can join the "elite" companies. A lot of people say Lexus cannot reach prestige of MB, or other companies due to the lack "S600" or "SL55" model. The LF-A would be able to compete with the NSX, 911s, SL's, etc. Plus the car seems to have an awesome look to it.

The IS' front is growing on me. I didn't like the bumper at first, but it is growing on me slowly. I'll have to reserve my judgement on which cars I like (IS350, 330, etc - I could like both, haha) until I see them in person. I hope we can see the IS in other colors soon. I like to see it in a black color.
Old 03-01-05, 04:35 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nas
Lexus needs to go ahead and make this car. This way they can join the "elite" companies. A lot of people say Lexus cannot reach prestige of MB, or other companies due to the lack "S600" or "SL55" model. The LF-A would be able to compete with the NSX, 911s, SL's, etc. Plus the car seems to have an awesome look to it.

The IS' front is growing on me. I didn't like the bumper at first, but it is growing on me slowly. I'll have to reserve my judgement on which cars I like (IS350, 330, etc - I could like both, haha) until I see them in person. I hope we can see the IS in other colors soon. I like to see it in a black color.
I agree,while I really don't see the NSX as a supercar anymore. I do hope Toyota makes the Volta since they need a performance car and are so into hybrids.
Old 03-01-05, 04:44 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't see the NSX as a supercar anymore.
I know many fellows here are gonna give you a big .

Watch this race where NSX gives a bunch of modern supercars costing a lot more a good run for their money. Just how is NSX not a supercar?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129821

Just remember that a supercar is not just about raw power, but also about perfect balance, power-to-weight ratio, handling dynamics and a lot more.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 03-01-05 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 05:09 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L

Watch this race where NSX gives a bunch of modern supercars costing a lot more a good run for their money. Just how is NSX not supercar?

Just remember that a supercar is not just about power, but also about perfect balance, power-to-weight ratio, handling dynamics and a lot more.
While the NSX-R is not available in the US, it does show exaxtly what you said about balance. It is supposedly still rated at 290 HP (I think it has a tad over 300HP), yet it still ran a 7:56 around the Nurburgring which is also what the Corvette ZO6 ran with 405 HP. The NSX was never build for the drag strip or Autobahn type driving, but specifically for the track. Even today, while many cars can beat it around the track, it still holds its own with roughtly half the horse power in some cases. It also still beats many around the track as well. Even if you left the chassis alone and just added more HP to say 330, the NSX would be right back up there with many of todays exoctics once again. The balance on the NSX is just amazing.

Now, to the LF-A. I do agree that Lexus could use a halo exotic car, but I don't particularly think the LF-A is the right choice. I could be wrong, but it looks like front engine RWD car. People who can afford a $100K+ car want a mid engine RWD car. This is not Ferrari where you already have a the name recognition. If you want to compete with Porsche, you release the LF-A. If you want to compete with Ferrari and Lamborghini, you build a mid engine car. I also don't think the exotic car buyer will be too accepting of the 3 pipe triangular center exhausts and the large fans in the rear. I'd say at least redesign the rear end. The more you break down the LF-A the more it looks like a Porsche competitor and not mean to go up against the exotics. I just went to the Lexus site and they say this is a GT Sports car. So it does appear their target is not the exotic cars but more the Porshe and Corvettes. I think they should sell it at $80K though.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 03-01-05 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 05:20 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L

Watch this race where NSX gives a bunch of modern supercars costing a lot more a good run for their money. Just how is NSX not a supercar?

Just remember that a supercar is not just about raw power, but also about perfect balance, power-to-weight ratio, handling dynamics and a lot more.
Oh well, thats just me
Old 03-01-05, 05:41 PM
LexFather

Oh well, thats just me
Yeah mahn, NSX is a supercar. And the NSX-R only extends this.
Old 03-01-05, 05:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

p.s. for those worried about power - IS250 2.5l engine has same torque (184 vs 185) as BMW 325i (3.0 engine).
Same as GS430 having 10lbs of torque more than upcoming 330i...

:-).
Old 03-01-05, 06:28 PM
LexFather

2005 Geneva Motor Show DEBUT: 2006 Lexus IS Photo Gallery
Toyota is getting serious about Lexus.

By Editors of Motor Trend
Photography by the Manufacturers & Richard Truesdell
Motor Trend, March 2005

Toyota is getting serious about Lexus. The previous IS was a rebadged Japanese-market Toyota. This all-new version has been designed from the wheels up as a Lexus, and it is planned as a deadly rival to BMW's new 3 Series. The big news for Europe is an all-new 2.2-liter I-4 diesel under the hood; diesels now account for more than 50 percent of all auto sales there. But U.S. spec IS models will all be powered by Toyota's new direct-injection gasoline V-6s. The 2.5-liter version delivers 204 horsepower (DIN), while the 3.5-liter will have about 280 horsepower. A new six-speed automatic transmission featuring sequential shift control will be standard.

The IS will also be available with the VDIM integrated vehicle dynamics management system featured on the new GS, adaptive cruise control, and Toyota's radar controlled Pre-Crash Safety system. No fewer than 10 airbags are standard. And this time, the IS moniker will be spread across a full range of vehicles, including a convertible, to truly compete with the 3 Series.
http://motortrend.com/autoshows/cove...xus/index.html
Old 03-01-05, 08:02 PM
LexFather

http://www.lexus-europe.com/about_le...s/geneva_4.asp
Old 03-01-05, 08:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

damn, lexus is really putting out their names this yr.... the new GS, and now so many people are talking about the new IS.... that's something

dunno, i really think bimmer is a bit worried now...
Old 03-01-05, 08:14 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
damn, lexus is really putting out their names this yr.... the new GS, and now so many people are talking about the new IS.... that's something

dunno, i really think bimmer is a bit worried now...
They can still sell a lot more taxi's in Europe than lexus can hope for
Old 03-01-05, 11:56 PM
Itsuki_23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If bluetooth is standard, then 7 inch touch screen has to be standard also. So the interior you see in the pics is very close to standard IS250.

Quick Reply: 2006 IS250/350 Official Thread