IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Official 06 IS 300 pics (56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-05, 06:34 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Cool pics just added, I like the 2 tone look with the tan & black, although I prefer black interior or grey. I noticed all the windows buttons say "All Auto" I hope this is all auto up & down.

I'm curious what you all think the MPG will be if the HP is 300 or 325. I hope Lexus can make it at least 21 MPG city or higher, I would hate to see 18 MPG city. What do you think it will be?
Old 03-14-05, 06:41 PM
CSenior
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909

I love that interior! i think it is a step up luxury wise...
Old 03-14-05, 06:42 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can y'all tell me if the 300+ hp spec has been realistically confirmed, or is it still hearsay?

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
Cool pics just added, I like the 2 tone look with the tan & black, although I prefer black interior or grey. I noticed all the windows buttons say "All Auto" I hope this is all auto up & down.
The ES is all auto up/down, so I'd bet the new IS is going to be.
Old 03-14-05, 06:43 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I like the 2-tone I hope they offer it in the production cars.
Old 03-14-05, 08:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Can y'all tell me if the 300+ hp spec has been realistically confirmed, or is it still hearsay?

The ES is all auto up/down, so I'd bet the new IS is going to be.
no one can solidly confirm it i suppose, at least not until lexus make any official press release
Old 03-14-05, 09:27 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

There are 2 main sources I heard the 300+ hp for the IS350. Chuck Goldsboro of Team Lexus and the Lexus Marketing team that briefed us (ClubLexus) at California Speedway during the Lexus Grand Am Cup Weekend in October 2004. That's as credible as it gets.
Old 03-14-05, 11:37 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
I noticed all the windows buttons say "All Auto" I hope this is all auto up & down.
It is. Stated the same in my RX.
Old 03-15-05, 10:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
100hp/liter is very possible without spending too much money when dealing with a relatively light-weight valvetrain... because then you can spin it to a relatively high RPM. The downside comes to the strength of the motor (reliability - which we should hope Toyota would be unwilling to compromise), and the low-RPM power/torque. Just go drive a Honda S2000 and see how the stop-light to stop-light acceleration is... in other words, when you aren't at full throttle close to its 9,xxx RPM redline. It's dismall. Worse than your average family car, really.

So 100hp/liter is definitely possible via any manufacturer today. The real challenge becomes if you can keep it cost-effective, reliable, and keep decent low end power, seeing as how realistically even the most heavy-footed drivers still spend more time cruising and closer to idle than to do to redline.
Well, Honda S2000's engine is something completly else with its IVTEC and 4cl engine, same as 2zz I have in my Corolla TS.

However, 3.5l GR engine in Avalon already makes 280hp and 260tq, which is an healty number, and the car is without direct injection and probably optimized for smoother driving. So torque will only go up in IS's engine.

4cl vtec/vvtli engines are completly different story, but I have to say that I love that engine in my Corolla and it makes huge sense in light car (such as Elise)... I wish it was featured in my MRS.
Old 03-15-05, 11:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
Well, Honda S2000's engine is something completly else with its IVTEC and 4cl engine, same as 2zz I have in my Corolla TS.

However, 3.5l GR engine in Avalon already makes 280hp and 260tq, which is an healty number, and the car is without direct injection and probably optimized for smoother driving. So torque will only go up in IS's engine.

4cl vtec/vvtli engines are completly different story, but I have to say that I love that engine in my Corolla and it makes huge sense in light car (such as Elise)... I wish it was featured in my MRS.
So if the Avalon can get high 14s1/4 mile and mid 6s with 280 hp, EVEN IF THE IS had the SAME power rating, the numbers would drop.

We'll see, if the IS does have more HP, there really is no reason to get anything else unless you HAVE to have a manual
1. 300hp check
2. world class interior check
3. Lexus quality, ownership experience check
4. handling check
Old 03-15-05, 12:21 PM
biker
Lead Lap

=1SICKLEX
We'll see, if the IS does have more HP, there really is no reason to get anything else unless you HAVE to have a manual
1. 300hp check
2. world class interior check
3. Lexus quality, ownership experience check
4. handling check
BMW roundel on the hood - no.
You'll still have 000s of BWM afficinados that will flock to the badge.

That's OK - deep down most folks know which is the better car.
Old 03-17-05, 12:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf

Exactly .... and compared to many of the higher revving engines ... the new GR V6 engines from Toyota do not need to rev very high. Toyota is all about balance, and don't be surprised to see the IS350 with over 300HP, close to 300 lb-ft torque, smooth and quiet, very durable and reliable engine, as well as good fuel economy. Direct Injection allows for a boost in fuel economy and power, as well as retaining a flat torque curve. Combined with Dual VVT-i, you have an engine with some serious firepower. Also, due to the pressures of Direct Injection, the internals of the engine need to be extremely strong.

As unbelievable as it sounds, Toyota's GR engines manage to be able to do practically everything ... high power at a moderate RPM, abundance of torque, good fuel economy, very strong internals. You can really tell Toyota spend lots of time, money and hard work developing the new GR engines.

Even when compared to Honda's J35, the GR in the IS350 will be a different animal.
Old 03-17-05, 03:36 PM
LMBLF8
Rookie

Can't wait till this car comes out! Looks amazing!
Old 03-18-05, 03:06 PM
LexFather

This thread will come down Wedsneday when the IS is debuted in NY!
Old 03-19-05, 08:08 AM
rolex3007
Driver School Candidate

I think it looks nice but not as original as the IS300. This car looks like a cross mix of the acura TL and the scion tc......The interior seems to flow into the GS models..I like the original boxy stock car look, everything about the IS300 is original stands out from the rest, this car blends in with the rest.. But dont get me wrong sharp car
Old 03-20-05, 06:54 PM
qwalls
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jrax2308
I´ll stay with my opinion and still say that Acuras look like oversized Hondas, and like i´ve stated b4 the TL looks like it was made by machine rather than human. If u think that the new IS doesn´t look better all-around then i´m sorry, but you smoking some good ish! I bet you I can ask anyone w. the new TL if their car looks better than the new IS and they´ll say no, cuz they know it´s true, if they do say it looks better then they´re hating just like you. Now, saying it looks like a Mazda 3, you´re crazy. People used to say that because of the supposedly concept IS250/350 not anymore. If it did look as good as the new IS I would´ve been in the Mazda 3 a long time ago. I have a G35c so don´t think i´m defending lexus just cuz you probably think I have one. 1
I have a 2005 TL (replaced a '99 LS400), and overall I do think it looks better than the new IS, and I'm not smoking anything, but the new IS has caught my attention, and there are some things I like better than my TL. Bottom line, people have different opinions, and it really doesn't matter if they agree as long as they are happy with what they decide to drive.

Last edited by qwalls; 03-20-05 at 07:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Official 06 IS 300 pics (56k warning)