IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Official 06 IS 300 pics (56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 06:43 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this car looks amazing. I wasn't really a big fan of the new gs, but the is gorgeous.
Old 03-01-05, 06:53 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The rear DOES look a lot like the Mazda3. I've seen the new 3 and test-drove the top-of-the-line version, and its interior, while nice for an entry-level car, cannot compare with this new IS...not surprising considering the price difference. The 3, though, is the closest thing to a 4-door sports car you will find in a low-priced sedan.

Now I'VE got a tough choice....wait for the AWD version of THIS car or go with the 2005 Legacy / Outback...which I have posted many times on.
Wow, it really does look like a 4-door tC. Interior looks, I wouldn't say nicer because I like the current IS interior, but more mature. Test drove the new GS today and this interior looks almost exactly the same. It's just missing the tape deck.

mmarshall, you test drove an E90?
Old 03-01-05, 06:56 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
That would be Adaptive Cruise Control.
Thanks XeroKool, now I feel stupid.
Old 03-01-05, 07:06 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Another question, do you think this new IS will have the back-up camera on the Nav like the new GS?

Can anyone get a better close up photo of the instrument panel?

Since I'm not really familar with this model, what is the length of the current IS compared to the length of the new IS? Will the interior be larger inside do you think?

I am lovin these pics of the interior. So sweet.

Edit: What would this mean? Illuminated Scuff Plates on door sills. Is this similar lighting effect as the new GS spot lighting?

Last edited by Xanadu350; 03-01-05 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 07:23 PM
Jrax2308
Driver School Candidate

Models:
IS350 RWD Auto only initially (as back in 2001)
IS250 RWD Auto
IS250 RWD, 6 speed Manual
IS250 AWD, 6 Speed sequential shift Auto.

Standard features:
Smart Access
Optitron Instrument Cluster
Power Tilt/Telescopic Wheel
Audio, Bluetooth, Voice Activation and Display Controls on Steering Wheel
10-Way power seats with memory for driver and passenger
Wood and Metal trim interior
Dual Zone Auto Climate Control
Mini Plug accessory Connector
Illuminated Scuff Plates on door sills
AM/FM/CD, 13-speaker audio system

Options:
Ventilated Seats
Touch Screen-Voice Activated Navigation
Mark Levinson Audio
Adaptive Cruise Control
Park Assist
Rain sensing Wipers with Headlamp washers (US may not receive)
Power rear sunshade

The new Lexus is 90 mm longer and 75 mm wider than its predecessor ¨for XanaduSC¨. Its wide track and prominent wheel arches combine with short front and rear overhangs to give the car a low centre of gravity and broad, robust appearance, appropriate to its sporting prow-ness.

To the front, a trademark, vertically latticed grille instantly identifies the new IS as a sporting member of the Lexus marque. As first demonstrated on the LF-S concept vehicle, the aggressive, twin-barrel headlamp clusters are positioned on a higher plane than the grille itself. This carefully considered disposition of the key frontal elements will become a unique characteristic of future Lexus models, focusing the eye at the very apex of the vehicle to strengthen the impression of speed and agility.
Old 03-01-05, 07:27 PM
Jrax2308
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
Look's like a G35
Were you serious, or just kidding? Looks nothing like the G35 btw, more like the new ES tail-lights. Check out the tires from the rear shot, looks HOT!!!

Now, for the person that said the TL looks better, get the TL and I wanna see your face when you see the new IS pass by you, You´re going to be one mad person tell you that much! The TL looks like it was made by a machine rather than a human, 1

Person who said their wife said it looks like a civic, No Comments! Seems like a normal Lexus hater to me, PEACE!
Old 03-01-05, 07:37 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Call me stupid but I don't know what this means:

The new Lexus is 90 mm longer and 75 mm wider than its predecessor.

I was looking for more like:

The current model is 175 inches in length and the new IS will be 182 inches in length.

Anyone know what the specs are from old model to this new IS?
Old 03-01-05, 08:02 PM
azari
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just checked the website and was expecting for the pics to be out tomorrow or even two days from now. But I have to say that Lexus did a good job design wise. It's certainly not a ground-breaking design, but it's very nice. By far, this is one of the most "germanic" designs I've seen Lexus put out. The lines along the body are clean (not breathtaking), but again, nice job. The fact that it's made by Lexus and, thus, exceptional reliability and build-quality is guaranteed makes this car a no-brainer buy in my eyes, and more than makes up for whatever little is lacking in terms of design. I will probably purchaes one in a few years (after I graduate). Too bad, the 3.5 engine doesn't come with a Manual tranny . Will it become available later on or that option is ruled out? I would never buy a car in this class with an automatic, and the 2.5 seems a bit small. So for anyone who knows about the future availability of a Manual tranny with the 3.5 liter engine, please enlighten me.

Thanks
Old 03-01-05, 08:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

looking at the pics and my is300, i think lexus was detemined to make the IS a lexus lineup, give it a lot more luxury feel and built craftmanship. the current IS seriously is like a sport car, and you just don't talk about luxury.

one thing i surely hope is that even with all the new luxury stuff they put on the new IS, the car is just as sporty (or maybe even more) and can hang tight with the bimmer 3 series. i think that's still the point
Old 03-01-05, 09:07 PM
LexFather

Old 03-01-05, 09:08 PM
LexFather

Old 03-01-05, 10:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i wonder if they are going to have the lower taillight reflector covers like those for the 3 series. i think the car will look cleaner without them
Old 03-02-05, 04:50 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
i wonder if they are going to have the lower taillight reflector covers like those for the 3 series. i think the car will look cleaner without them
Those reflectors are a Euro thing - they might be gone for the US IS.
Old 03-02-05, 08:48 AM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=1SICKLEX]robloc, did u do that? That is pretty nice animation! I like it.

Yeah,I did it in like 10 minutes with my amateur Art Institute of L.A photoshop skills,but I think it has great potential.I can really see this car looking even more aggressive with subtle changes.
Old 03-02-05, 09:02 AM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I see alot of inspiration for the IS from these 3 Toyota vehicles,not that its a bad thing Just stating that at least they're cues rom Toyota.
FRONT

BACK

SIDE

Quick Reply: Official 06 IS 300 pics (56k warning)