IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2nd Gen IS 250 vs TSX (the battle for value)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-05, 09:44 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E46 325 vs. TSX is a drivers race not only 0-60 but at the track also. The TSX is probably the best handling FWD sedan out there.

The only problem with Lexus launching the IS at the same time as the E90 is that you'll have good demand for the E90 for quite a while, so the sales that the new IS steals away won't be much from the E90 but the rest in the segment. The monthly sales a year from now should be interesting. The TSX sales have actully gone up as more and more people find out how good a package it is and you can get it under sticker. I have a feeling the IS will be the same way. You'll have an initial rush of buyers, then a slight lull toward the end of 06MY, and then real strong sales with the MY07 and onwards.

It will be interesting to see if Lexus announces some target sales number in NY.
Old 03-09-05, 10:00 AM
LexFather

Only TSX owners compare their cars to the 3 or IS No magazine has reviewed the TSX against the IS or 3. They do against the Legacy, the A4, I-4 FWD version and Saabs. Its simply just a Euro Accord. Enough with the value crap. The car is to OPPOSITE of what the true competiton is. Yes, its a nice stretch and nice for most people. The car is a 25k car. That is sub entry level luxury. Not sure why you want to compete in that category.

With the IS and 3 you get RWD and V-6 powerplants. The IS interior is now superior to the TSX and TL right down to the real wood vs fake wood. There is no way in hell, I would get an Ohio made TL over this new IS.

Its simply hard for some people to have the concept that yes, Lexus can chase Benz AND BMW. They are not just going after one company. For some reason, its hard for people to accept, sporty and Lexus. For some reason, FWD Acuras are sporty and Infiniti is supposed to be the Japanese Jesus BMW. Its all in your heads. Look at the facts. People just hate Lexus because they are damn good at whatever they decide to do, no matter full luxury, a blend, sport or SUVs.

And besides, most people buy a TSX because they can get a nice luxury badge without the luxury price. Period. If the IS 250 starts at 30k, people will stretch to get a superior vehicle. And all in all, Lexus has more prestige, panache and brand cache than Acura.
Old 03-09-05, 01:27 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Only TSX owners compare their cars to the 3 or IS No magazine has reviewed the TSX against the IS or 3. They do against the Legacy, the A4, I-4 FWD version and Saabs. Its simply just a Euro Accord. Enough with the value crap. The car is to OPPOSITE of what the true competiton is. Yes, its a nice stretch and nice for most people. The car is a 25k car. That is sub entry level luxury. Not sure why you want to compete in that category.

With the IS and 3 you get RWD and V-6 powerplants. The IS interior is now superior to the TSX and TL right down to the real wood vs fake wood. There is no way in hell, I would get an Ohio made TL over this new IS.

Its simply hard for some people to have the concept that yes, Lexus can chase Benz AND BMW. They are not just going after one company. For some reason, its hard for people to accept, sporty and Lexus. For some reason, FWD Acuras are sporty and Infiniti is supposed to be the Japanese Jesus BMW. Its all in your heads. Look at the facts. People just hate Lexus because they are damn good at whatever they decide to do, no matter full luxury, a blend, sport or SUVs.

And besides, most people buy a TSX because they can get a nice luxury badge without the luxury price. Period. If the IS 250 starts at 30k, people will stretch to get a superior vehicle. And all in all, Lexus has more prestige, panache and brand cache than Acura.

The tsx has been naming 10 BEST CARS: BEST SPORTS SEDAN and it still gets no respect here. The tsx is more like MSRP Price Range: $27,760 - $29,760
Lexus is known for luxury, reliability, not sporty in any kind word.
I guarantee most of the people who purchases cars in the 30K price range look at the tsx & TL.
I could care less where the TL is made I still would purchase it over the new is300. For the record to me the is300 doesn’t look better than current TL. You only seen pictures of the IS interior but your already saying it’s better the TL interior. B.S.
As far as I’m concern Lexus/BMW/MB can keep its so called prestige, panache and brand cache. I buy value no matter if its gs/m45/RL.

Simple no one see Lexus cars as sporty no matter how you try move words around. Honda & Nissan either make faster or better handling cars.
You every notice Mercedes rarely win a sport sedan contest b/c its vehicles are really aim toward luxury. Just like Lexus.

I don’t why people keep think Lexus make some unique sports sedans or some super car. No Lexus sedan is faster or handle better than a bmw. Come close but not better.
Stop the b.s don’t come telling me you have a sport sedan when you purchase gs300 which isn’t faster or handle better than any M35 or BMW vehicle. I have a better overall car than a bmw or infiniti is more like it.

Last edited by rogers2; 03-09-05 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-09-05, 01:38 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rogers
The tsx has been naming 10 BEST CARS: BEST SPORTS SEDAN and it still gets no respect here. The tsx is more like MSRP Price Range: $27,760 - $29,760
Lexus is known for luxury, reliability, not sporty in any kind word.
I guarantee most of the people who purchases cars in the 30K price range look at the tsx & TL.
I could care less where the TL is made I still would purchase it over the new is300. For the record to me the is300 doesn’t look better than current TL. You only seen pictures of the IS interior but your already saying it’s better the TL interior. B.S.
As far as I’m concern Lexus/BMW/MB can keep its so called prestige, panache and brand cache. I buy value no matter if its gs/m45/RL.

Simple no one see Lexus cars as sporty no matter how you try move words around. Honda & Nissan either make faster or better handling cars.
You every notice Mercedes rarely win a sport sedan contest b/c its vehicles are really aim toward luxury. Just like Lexus.

I don’t why people keep think Lexus make some unique sports sedans or some super car. No Lexus sedan is faster or handle better than a bmw. Come close but not better.
Stop the b.s don’t come telling me you have a sport sedan when you purchase gs300 which isn’t faster or handle better than any M35 or BMW vehicle. I have a better overall car than a bmw or infiniti is more like it.
You're right that Lexus traditionally aims towards luxury, which is why they compare better against MB. MB, however, despite being luxury oriented, is still sportier than Lexus, traditionally.

However, because Lexus was luxury in the past, or even now, doesn't mean it can't make a sporty car. The current IS handled well, some would say better than the E46 and on par with the E36. It had other factors working against it, however, which led to its rejection by the E46 lovers (of which I am one).

It's fine if a car company seeks to hit every market. They need multiple cars to do that, however, and in the entry luxury market they do have two. The ES aims at the luxury while the IS aims at the sport luxury. If it drives well and gives people a visceral "love the drive" feeling, it deserves to do well, no matter the parent company's perceived attributes. (This last statement applies to both Lexus and Acura, and any other marque, equally.)
Old 03-09-05, 01:39 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, rogers, I agree with you that the TSX is a great car.
Old 03-09-05, 02:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers
The tsx has been naming 10 BEST CARS: BEST SPORTS SEDAN and it still gets no respect here.
Well you're getting this info from C/D. They've always had their bias. That's for another discussion though. I picked my IS over a TSX. TSX is a nice car, but not what I look for in a sports sedan. I'd rather spend the extra $ to get the TL. I can guarantee my IS when it was in stock form can out handle a TSX anyday. Even a couple of laps around a road course, the IS will pass up a TSX easily.
Old 03-09-05, 02:08 PM
LexFather

Default 2nd Gen IS 250 vs TSX

I split the 3 vs IS thread since the TSX came up. So we can discuss here.
Old 03-09-05, 03:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I split the 3 vs IS thread since the TSX came up. So we can discuss here.
Maybe is Honda came out with this
Old 03-09-05, 05:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

It is an Acura! The TSX's predecessor, the Integra.
Old 03-09-05, 07:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
It is an Acura! The TSX's predecessor, the Integra.
heh, you guys are right. TSX might be ok car, but it is not luxury car, period. Acura is not an Luxury brand, period.

Not to mention it is an FWD car...
Old 03-11-05, 09:15 AM
psteng19
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
Well you're getting this info from C/D. They've always had their bias. That's for another discussion though. I picked my IS over a TSX. TSX is a nice car, but not what I look for in a sports sedan. I'd rather spend the extra $ to get the TL. I can guarantee my IS when it was in stock form can out handle a TSX anyday. Even a couple of laps around a road course, the IS will pass up a TSX easily.
Well, the IS is RWD and V6, vs. the I4 and FWD in the TSX.
It had better beat a TSX around a track.

Which is not to say that the TSX is a bad car.
What Honda does well is catering to what the market wants.
The TSX/TL combination sells well because it does just that. It meets the needs of what most want.

What hurt the current IS is a weak V6 (in stock form) and increased competition from the G35 and the TSX/TL combo.
That explains the dismal sales the past couple of years.
Old 03-11-05, 09:26 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by psteng19

What hurt the current IS is a weak V6 (in stock form) and increased competition from the G35 and the TSX/TL combo.
That is true, but when the IS was introduced in 2000 as a 2001, the G20 and Integra were in a totally different league back then. Now they've stepped up since and it's obvious Lexus has a major game player coming back to the market soon.

FYI, the IS300 has an Inline 6 not a V6.
Old 03-11-05, 11:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by psteng19
Well, the IS is RWD and V6, vs. the I4 and FWD in the TSX.
It had better beat a TSX around a track.

Which is not to say that the TSX is a bad car.
What Honda does well is catering to what the market wants.
The TSX/TL combination sells well because it does just that. It meets the needs of what most want.

Hey, No one is saying the TSX is a bad car. Its not.
BTW, the IS came out before the G35 and TSX. So they should be better. I agree, the increased competiton did hurt sales, good point.