IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

the G35 vs is250... i just dont get it

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-05, 09:06 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"it is fair to say that there is an greater difference between 4.0 GR and its other counterparts than VQ in trucks and cars... Which is why 4.0 GR was better fit for trucks."

I don't really understand, so are you saying that the 4.0 GR is more different from the 3.5/3.0 GR than the 4.0 VQ is from the 3.5 VQ?
Old 03-11-05, 09:20 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

the 1GR-FE is a 4.0L VVT-i DOHC (Four Cam) V6.

The 2GR-FSE , 3GR- FSE,4GR-FSE motors are Dual VVT-i w/direct injection DOHC (Four Cam).
Old 03-11-05, 09:26 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Forgot to add, the FSE versions of the GR series engines are extremely fuel efficient.
Old 03-12-05, 06:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
"it is fair to say that there is an greater difference between 4.0 GR and its other counterparts than VQ in trucks and cars... Which is why 4.0 GR was better fit for trucks."

I don't really understand, so are you saying that the 4.0 GR is more different from the 3.5/3.0 GR than the 4.0 VQ is from the 3.5 VQ?
yep, 4.0 GR was built to be truck engine from the start on... It has better torque delivery accross the range than 4.0 VQ while being more "refined". Spends less gas, goes faster, yadda, yadda, yadda...
Old 03-12-05, 10:35 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
yep, 4.0 GR was built to be truck engine from the start on... It has better torque delivery accross the range than 4.0 VQ while being more "refined". Spends less gas, goes faster, yadda, yadda, yadda...
4.0 GR more gas efficient than the 4.0 VQ? Most definitely. 4.0 GR (245 hp/ 282 torque) faster than the 4.0 VQ (270 hp/ 291 torque)? I doubt it.
Old 03-13-05, 06:02 AM
HemantS
Driver

Interesting thread. I really couldn't care less if a company shared parts. In fact I would prefer it since it allows for economies of scale and savings passed on to me, the consumer.

If the IS350 doesn't come to within $3k of the G35 sedan I agree that it will be a tough pill to swallow.

That being said, I think the new IS is beautiful and the G35sedan is boring and odd.

I really wish I liked the G35 because it offers a LOT for the money. The only thing that could touch it's value would be an AWD TL.

But alas, I find it ugly....someone brainwash me into thinking otherwise. It would save me lots of money.
Old 03-13-05, 07:36 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default G35 an excellent value and size

I have always liked the engine technology of Toyota/Lexus. There engines hardly ever fail. The newest innovation is a typical advance of power and fuel efficiency. Nissan/Infiniti had very little to boast about until their 3.5 liter engine and new body forms arrived. Sometimes the Horsepower/Torque ratings can fool the consumer into believing that there is a performance advantage to a certain engine type or another. What they forget is that the power has to get to the ground in an efficient way vs. the car's weight. Ideally a lot of the torque would be available early on say at 1500 rpms. In the future maybe all cars will have a CVT or 8 gears in the transmission. I have always admired how Lexus balanced the need for power and gas consumption and limited emissions. There are quite of few examples of other makes that have bigger displacement and heavier curb weights which are slower and less fuel efficient than the Lexus comparable model. These cars sometimes will outsell the Lexus. When I pop the hood on a Lexus and start talking direct injection, variable intake and exhaust timing and all aluminum with electric power steering most people's eye's glaze over. Of course this is not the case here on Club Lexus as most here as enthusiasts and value performance first and of course looks. I think the G35 offers excellent power to cost value.

The ES330 is a big car. Not as big as the new Avalon but very big. It lost some of the appeal in size to female owners when it swelled from compact to midsize luxury Executive Sedan (ES). The women are extremely practical about their car selection. First of all if they are short does the seat and steering wheel adjust so they can see the hood of the car? Are there blind spots when backing up? Can they reach the pedals without laying of top of the steering wheel/airbag? They really like the backup camera and Lexus should make that a standard feature since the LCD screen is now a staple of the GS and IS. Now back to the G35. Women love this car because it is a manageable size and it has a sporty nature. It is nice looking too. You could not say this about the ES330. There is a need for a compact yet sporty car for this buyer and Lexus did not have an answer to the G35 sedan or coupe. I had a lot of middle aged women purchase the IS300 (Individual Sedan) for these reasons above but they had to get over their FWD bias. The availability of AWD is also a plus for this buyer. The BMW 3 is an attractive car to this buyer especially in either a convertible or an AWD. This buyer doesn't care that much about power to cost ratio and will spend the money on whatever fulfills their needs and sense of style. Since Lexus is in the market to sell cars and not race them this is certainly a sidebar left to enthusiasts and gear heads like us. That being said the IS350 will be campaigned next year and if there is a race nearby I will surely attend. I hope there will be some Infinitis to compete against also. The Lexus will inevitably cost more yet if it sells then it doesn't really matter. On pure performance I will be glad to compare the IS350 engine to any comers in the 3.5 liter category. This thread is an apples to oranges comparison. The price of the Infiniti is a plus for the G35 and that is undeniable. It has aged now and the appeal will shift to the newer designs and models. The 3 series is the target of Lexus and the variants will shadow the BMW. The G35 is worthy competitor in performance/price but so was Mazda......
Old 03-13-05, 10:02 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

4.0 GR more gas efficient than the 4.0 VQ? Most definitely. 4.0 GR (245 hp/ 282 torque) faster than the 4.0 VQ (270 hp/ 291 torque)? I doubt it.
Who cares if the 4.0L VQ40 is faster than the 4.0L 1GR-FE. It's not like you're gonna drag race your truck/suv on the freeway or on dirt trails in the back country.

It's obvious who's one a big award for Truck of the Year for Motor Trend.Sure Nissan has always had more HP offerings for their engines but Nissan always trails Toyota when it comes to the compact or now midsize truck market. And the sales #'s prove it.
Old 03-13-05, 10:16 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Who cares if the 4.0L VQ40 is faster than the 4.0L 1GR-FE. It's not like you're gonna drag race your truck/suv on the freeway or on dirt trails in the back country.

It's obvious who's one a big award for Truck of the Year for Motor Trend.Sure Nissan has always had more HP offerings for their engines but Nissan always trails Toyota when it comes to the compact or now midsize truck market. And the sales #'s prove it.
Read my post. It was a response to spwolf. I don't care whether or not YOU care which one is faster. spwolf stated that the 4.0 GR is faster, and I was questioning the veracity of that statement.
Old 03-13-05, 11:35 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Read my post. It was a response to spwolf. I don't care whether or not YOU care which one is faster. spwolf stated that the 4.0 GR is faster, and I was questioning the veracity of that statement.
It's an open forum. Everyone is entitled to put their two cents in and respond. BTW It's the 4.0L 1GR-FE V6 not the 4.0 GR.
Old 03-13-05, 12:26 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

It's an open forum. Everyone is entitled to put their two cents in and respond. BTW It's the 4.0L 1GR-FE V6 not the 4.0 GR.
Fair enough. My annoyance is that if someone says such and such Toyota/Lexus is faster, you seem to have nothing to say, but if someone says such and such Nissan/Infiniti is faster, you seem to say, "who cares if its faster." If this perception is wrong, then my apologies.
Old 03-13-05, 12:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

We all know Nissan/Infiniti vehicles are faster granted they have a few more ponies. I don't really care if either car is fast or not. The whole point is preference and overall value to your preferences. I can care less if the G35 is faster than my IS300, maybe in straight line but not in the twisties. I had lots of options in the $30k range but went for the IS for many reasons. What is .5 to 1 whole second difference in performance on real world everyday driving? Who cares if the VQ40 is faster than the 1GR-FE? Some prefer better HP numbers and some don't.
Old 03-13-05, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

We all know Nissan/Infiniti vehicles are faster granted they have a few more ponies. I don't really care if either car is fast or not. The whole point is preference and overall value to your preferences. I can care less if the G35 is faster than my IS300, maybe in straight line but not in the twisties. I had lots of options in the $30k range but went for the IS for many reasons. What is .5 to 1 whole second difference in performance on real world everyday driving? Who cares if the VQ40 is faster than the 1GR-FE? Some prefer better HP numbers and some don't.

Agreed The whole buisness of 0-60 and quarter-mile times has just become an obsession with some people.
And, in the end, acceleration, especially in the low ranges, is determined more by torque than HP anyway.
Old 03-13-05, 04:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Why were you questioning the statement? What exactly does 40hp more mean in an truck? Nothing, if torque difference is so small. Its torque that matters, and GR has better torque curve and delivery, which is why Toyota trucks/suvs with 4.0GR are faster than Nissan trucks/suvs with 4.0VQ. And get better mpg.

Now, an educated buyer such as yourself certainly knows the importance of torque, right?
Old 03-13-05, 05:12 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
Why were you questioning the statement? What exactly does 40hp more mean in an truck? Nothing, if torque difference is so small. Its torque that matters, and GR has better torque curve and delivery, which is why Toyota trucks/suvs with 4.0GR are faster than Nissan trucks/suvs with 4.0VQ. And get better mpg.

Now, an educated buyer such as yourself certainly knows the importance of torque, right?
Yes, I know what torque does, thank you. Normally conservative Edmunds tested the 2005 Pathfinder at 7.38s. I'm curious to know if the 4Runner has topped that, as you claim. It may very well have, but I'd like to see the data.

Quick Reply: the G35 vs is250... i just dont get it