IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

the G35 vs is250... i just dont get it

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-05, 09:18 PM
candyman99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question the G35 vs is250... i just dont get it

ok here is something i dont get, the g35 price started around 30k, and the basic model is pretty well equipped, and it has the 270hp v6 engine for 30k to begin w/. now u guys compare tsx w/ is250 or whaever. shouldn't you be comparing the is250 and the g35 since their price range should be alot closer, but then again one car is 204hp the other one has 270hp, both 30k. how will just justisfy the price, dont say infiniti makes bad cars or share parts. caz lexus share hell alot more parts w/ toyota than infiniti to nissan.
Old 03-10-05, 09:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by candyman99
ok here is something i dont get, the g35 price started around 30k, and the basic model is pretty well equipped, and it has the 270hp v6 engine for 30k to begin w/. now u guys compare tsx w/ is250 or whaever. shouldn't you be comparing the is250 and the g35 since their price range should be alot closer, but then again one car is 204hp the other one has 270hp, both 30k. how will just justisfy the price, dont say infiniti makes bad cars or share parts. caz lexus share hell alot more parts w/ toyota than infiniti to nissan.
I am going to spare you my full wrath newb welcome to Clublexus.
1. G35 shares may more parts with Nissan. The LExus IS is a Lexus IS.
2. G35 has the same VQ engine in all Nissan products from Vans to SUVs.
3. G35 is based off the cheaper 350Z platorm.
4. G35 has possibly the worst interior in its class, even with the update. And the controls are still RHD, Nissan didn't take the money to switch the console around to LHD.
5. Give Nissan credit, the G35C and sedan don't share much if any sheetmetal on the exterior.
6. The G35 is for Japan and America, the IS has been sold worldwide for years now.
7.G35 has class leading HP and outstanding driving dynamics, its strong suit. HP though is not everything or we'd all be driving Mustangs.
8. Justify the price? the IS offers many more standard features and options. Top build quality, 10 airbags, push button start, just look at the difference in the interior.

I hope that answered your questions. The G35 is a great car, it really helped put Infiniti on some peoples radar. Kudos to Nissan
Old 03-10-05, 09:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by candyman99
IS250 not even out yet, but from what we've read, IS will have more & newer gadgets than G35 sedan ,plus it's reported that IS250 U.S . version will have 220 hp, unlike the detuned Europrean version, & traditionally Lexus is always priced higher than comparable Infiniti due to better brand prestige, better build quality/materials etc. You have to decide for yourself which car will be better for you & whether the price difference is justified.
Old 03-11-05, 03:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Well actually not many people think IS should be compared with TSX, and in the same way, I dont think it should be compared with G35.

Now, you might cross shop between 3, and thats what people would do, but it is obvious that IS is car from Luxury brand, while other two are sporty sedans.

If you are looking at hp/price ratio, G35 is your choice... And thats what people buy it for. However it also shows how Infiniti is far from being real luxury brand.

p.s. who cares what is shared with what? Thats old boring story there. Problem with G35 is not that it shares all these things (sharing VQ doesnt matter really), but that it fails at being luxury brand car while sharing them.
Old 03-11-05, 06:53 AM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

toyota and lexus also rank 1st and 2nd for retention rates..... infinity is way below the industry average and about 35th place... what does that say about their product if the majority of people who buy it wont buy it again.
Old 03-11-05, 07:00 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

The GR engine will become just as ubiquitous as the VQ engine. The 3.5 GR will be used in the IS, ES, GS, RX, Camry, Solara, Avalon, Highlander, Sienna, and God knows what else. Drop your "unique" engine argument already, it doesn't work.

-------------------

The G35 was the first 3 series competitor (the G20 was a joke, a fancied Sentra) from Infiniti. The IS300 was the first 3 series competitor from Lexus. The G35 was/is more of a "luxury brand car" than the IS300.

So now the 2nd generation IS is coming out, and it looks like it'll be a huge improvement. I predict the same for the 2nd generation G35.
Old 03-11-05, 08:43 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
The GR engine will become just as ubiquitous as the VQ engine. The 3.5 GR will be used in the IS, ES, GS, RX, Camry, Solara, Avalon, Highlander, Sienna, and God knows what else. Drop your "unique" engine argument already, it doesn't work.

What's unique to Toyota is the displacement variation, unlike Nissan that has the VQ35 for every single model either transverse or etc. Sure Toyota is going toward that direction with the GR series engine, but at least there is real variation like displacement and configuration across the board.
Old 03-11-05, 08:57 AM
psteng19
Driver School Candidate

-------------------

The G35 was the first 3 series competitor (the G20 was a joke, a fancied Sentra) from Infiniti. The IS300 was the first 3 series competitor from Lexus. The G35 was/is more of a "luxury brand car" than the IS300.

So now the 2nd generation IS is coming out, and it looks like it'll be a huge improvement. I predict the same for the 2nd generation G35.
Good post.
Toyota does the same thing with their engines (3.0/3.3/3.5 V6). Maybe not to the extent of Nissan (2.5/3.0/3.5/4.0 VQ).
BMW does the same (2.5/3.0 V6 & 4.4 V8).

I'd very much consider an IS250, especially if it provides better fuel economy than the 3.5.
Does anyone know if it requires premium?
Old 03-11-05, 09:33 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by psteng19
I'd very much consider an IS250, especially if it provides better fuel economy than the 3.5.
Does anyone know if it requires premium?
Most likely, since the direct injection/dual VVT-i engines are high compression, it will require premium.
Old 03-11-05, 09:34 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
What's unique to Toyota is the displacement variation, unlike Nissan that has the VQ35 for every single model either transverse or etc. Sure Toyota is going toward that direction with the GR series engine, but at least there is real variation like displacement and configuration across the board.
"What's unique to Toyota is the displacement variation"

Displacement variation is not unique to Toyota.

3.5 GR and 3.5 VQ:

Both will use this engine as their bread and butter engine. Both use this engine in various FWD, RWD, and AWD platforms. Both tune this engine for different outputs in different vehicles.

4.0 GR and 4.0 VQ:

Both use this engine in their truck based V6 SUVs (4Runner, Pathfinder, Xterra ...).

2.5 GR and 2.5 VQ:

As far as I know, the only vehicle that will get the 2.5 GR is the IS250. Nissan doesn't offer a 2.5 VQ in the U.S. (although I think that they should offer a G25 with the next generation), but the 2.5 is common in Japan, such as in the Skyline and the Fuga.

There doesn't seem to be any near future plans for the 3.0 GR after the death of the GS300 next year.
Old 03-11-05, 09:45 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

"What's unique to Toyota is the displacement variation"

Displacement variation is not unique to Toyota.

3.5 GR and 3.5 VQ:

Both will use this engine as their bread and butter engine. Both use this engine in various FWD, RWD, and AWD platforms. Both tune this engine for different outputs in different vehicles.
Motor is only available to the Avalon currently. Scheduled for the other models later down the road in other formats i.e. RWD/FWD/Hybrid

4.0 GR and 4.0 VQ:

Both use this engine in their truck based V6 SUVs (4Runner, Pathfinder, Xterra ...).
Correct.

2.5 GR and 2.5 VQ:

As far as I know, the only vehicle that will get the 2.5 GR is the IS250. Nissan doesn't offer a 2.5 VQ in the U.S. (although I think that they should offer a G25 with the next generation), but the 2.5 is common in Japan, such as in the Skyline and the Fuga.
There is no such thing as a VQ25 to our knowledge yet.

There doesn't seem to be any near future plans for the 3.0 GR after the death of the GS300 next year.
We don't know that yet. Too early to tell what Toyota has in store to use the 3.0L 3GR-FSE.
Old 03-11-05, 10:16 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

"Motor is only available to the Avalon currently. Scheduled for the other models later down the road in other formats i.e. RWD/FWD/Hybrid"

Yes, notice the use of the word "will" in the first sentence. Apologies for the omission of the word "will" in the second.

"There is no such thing as a VQ25 to our knowledge yet."

As I said, the VQ 2.5 V6 is used in several cars in Japan, including the Skyline (G) and Fuga (M). It outputs 210 hp and 197 torque. I'm hoping that it will make it to the States in the form of a G25 in the next generation so that it will be IS250 v. G25 v. 325i.
Old 03-11-05, 10:24 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

"Motor is only available to the Avalon currently. Scheduled for the other models later down the road in other formats i.e. RWD/FWD/Hybrid"

Yes, notice the use of the word "will" in the first sentence. Apologies for the omission of the word "will" in the second.

As I said, the VQ 2.5 V6 is used in several cars in Japan, including the Skyline (G) and Fuga (M). It outputs 210 hp and 197 torque. I'm hoping that it will make it to the States in the form of a G25 in the next generation so that it will be IS250 v. G25 v. 325i.
Ooops should have clarified. VQ25 for North America. Clarification is great!
Old 03-11-05, 11:09 AM
LexFather

Yeah, thanks for the engine info, good stuff.
Old 03-11-05, 04:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Now, while I dont agree on bashing on Nissan/Infiniti for using VQ accross the boad (Toyota has done that forever, as well as other manufacturers), it is fair to say that there is an greater difference between 4.0 GR and its other counterparts than VQ in trucks and cars... Which is why 4.0 GR was better fit for trucks.

In any case, all that does not matter for this argument. VQ in G35 works great, it is other - luxury - parts of the car that fail.

Quick Reply: the G35 vs is250... i just dont get it