IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Just somthing I noticed

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-05, 10:41 PM
Taks_is300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just somthing I noticed

I was looking for parts on the net and was redirected to toyota.com i saw the new avalon and its specs. It was ulgy. I don't know where lexus got the 3.5 litre V6 from but i noticed that the Avalon had a 3.5l V6 so could they have borrowed the motor and tuned it up for more HP. The Avalon only makes around 280 hp and 260 ft/lbs tq. i don't think it would be cost effective for toyota or lexus to tune up a motor for additional hp and tq, I am sure that it is possible and to keep it feul efficient but why???

What also struck me with more confusion was the specs on the new GS430, i don't know if it is underated or not but it makes only 300hp and 327 ft/lbs tq. I have been hearing that the IS350 is supposely be making a little over then that but with less tq. i dont know . It just doesnt seem right, I have a basic understanding that by having more tq (assuming weight and traction are not a factor) that acceleration times will decrease.

I also went to my dealership in hawaii today ( car svc.) and saw the new GS300 and it is nice. I inquired about the new is and got " idon't think that they will be manufacturing that car with the 3.5 V6 but just changing to the new bodystyle at the end of this year. " Is there any validity to that??? Just asking....
Old 03-15-05, 11:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man a lot of confusion on your side

i think they are going to base on the same engine. tuning the engine for the needs is actaully pretty easy for toyota. as long as they have a strong engine with headroom to begin with, it's not hard for them to push out 300hp from the 3.5 liter engine. and i think it probably makes a bit more sense for the car to push more power.

for the v8, you didn't read it wrong. the next yr gs will get the 350 and the 460 engine, so the v8 will be even more powerful. and no, you got it wrong about the tq.... think about it thsi way. hp is how fast you can go, and tq is about how fast it gets you tehre. tq is really what pushes the car. the tq from the v8 is massive. so it's definitely wrong that the more tq you got, the better the accel is.

and you trust what the salesperson at the dealership said? come on, give us more credit lexus already debut the new IS during the auto show, tell the sales to do some homework before he say something stupid
Old 03-15-05, 11:14 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, you're trying to compare a 3.5L V6 with a 4.3L V8. In the same power bracket, the extra 800 cc's and two extra cylinders are going to push out a little more torque.

Toyota wouldn't allow a car of theirs to overpower a Lexus while using the same engine.

Honestly, the acceleration (0-60 and 1/4) are probably going to be very close between the two. 300hp for that little car is a ton. I even think that the 3.5 is going to OUTRUN the new GS430 (but don't tell my dad that ) It'll be close because the GS has more torque, but the IS350 has a much better power to weight ratio.

In terms of your dealership, I'm going to have to say they're wrong. We've had too much proof on the 3.5 getting dropped into the IS to rule it out now.
Old 03-15-05, 11:41 PM
Taks_is300
Rookie

Ahh thanks just got a big sigh of releif.
Old 03-16-05, 07:17 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Taks_is300
I inquired about the new is and got " idon't think that they will be manufacturing that car with the 3.5 V6 but just changing to the new bodystyle at the end of this year.
All Servco Lexus salespeople I've met don't know squat! Trust me, just stick to CL and you'll learn A LOT.
Old 03-16-05, 09:40 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mahalo and give us a wave report

Since they have a monopoly in Hawaii they don't have to worry about you shopping them...The IS350 will be unveiled next Wednesday in NYC. It is a hotter setup for sure than the Avalon Buick Buster. Even 280 HP is pretty good but not enough around the water cooler here at Club Lexus. Torque is what you're after if someone wants to beef with you in Honolulu. The exact figures are not released but figure 310-320 HP on the IS350 in an automatic six speed tranny with paddle shifters and a sequential slot to boot. Not sure where to put a surf rack though.... use the soft rack type I guess. It will have a touch screen standard just like the GS but I know they don't have Nav in Hawaii. The IS350 is Da Kine Bro.......
Old 03-16-05, 10:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
Since they have a monopoly in Hawaii they don't have to worry about you shopping them...The IS350 will be unveiled next Wednesday in NYC. It is a hotter setup for sure than the Avalon Buick Buster. Even 280 HP is pretty good but not enough around the water cooler here at Club Lexus. Torque is what you're after if someone wants to beef with you in Honolulu. The exact figures are not released but figure 310-320 HP on the IS350 in an automatic six speed tranny with paddle shifters and a sequential slot to boot. Not sure where to put a surf rack though.... use the soft rack type I guess. It will have a touch screen standard just like the GS but I know they don't have Nav in Hawaii. The IS350 is Da Kine Bro.......
well i used to joke with my friend. in hawaii, who cares how fast your car is. you are still running in circles ok, that's a dirty joke