IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So what's the deal Manual or no Manual X-Mission for the IS350 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-05, 12:45 PM
MrDDub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what's the deal Manual or no Manual X-Mission for the IS350 ?

This will be the deciding factor for me. If the 350 comes with no manual transmission, that will take the fun out of having the extra horses.
Old 03-23-05, 12:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

personally from what i know i doubt it will have manual
Old 03-23-05, 01:07 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Yup outlook not so good for now. We'll have to wait and see the official word from HQ.
Old 03-23-05, 01:08 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some info
guy was in a test group and he ended up test driving the is350. he mentions that it had a "sequential paddel shifting thingie". In my mind, I'm thinking that it's like the shifter the MR2-Spyder has.
Old 03-23-05, 01:17 PM
LexFather

Well sorry but its not just Lexus. With double clutches and SMGs and manu-matics becoming better and better, that is the future.

BMW has stated, SMG is their future, all M products will offer it first. Reviewers prefer the manumatic Lambo Gallardo to the stick version.

Its to increase sales also, more people can drive a manumatic auto than a true manual.

Sad, yes but this is the way of the future.
Old 03-23-05, 01:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
. . .Sad, yes but this is the way of the future.
Old 03-23-05, 01:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by hellasboy
some info
guy was in a test group and he ended up test driving the is350. he mentions that it had a "sequential paddel shifting thingie". In my mind, I'm thinking that it's like the shifter the MR2-Spyder has.
The "sequential paddle shifting thingie" is this below...

This is in addition to the column shifter "S" mode + & - detents.
Attached Thumbnails So what's the deal Manual or no Manual X-Mission for the IS350 ?-edited.jpg  
Old 03-23-05, 01:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well sorry but its not just Lexus. With double clutches and SMGs and manu-matics becoming better and better, that is the future.

BMW has stated, SMG is their future, all M products will offer it first. Reviewers prefer the manumatic Lambo Gallardo to the stick version.

Its to increase sales also, more people can drive a manumatic auto than a true manual.

Sad, yes but this is the way of the future.
yes that's definitely the future. if it's computer over manual, i think it's ok, and makes sense considering the power to handle and the speed to shift.

if one day toyota will make something like the smg, i don't have much complain (not that it's my best choice, but can't complain).

but putting another manual sport shift mode, that's still kinda fake somtimes
Old 03-23-05, 01:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The "sequential paddle shifting thingie" is this below...

This is in addition to the column shifter "S" mode + & - detents.
They have that on the M45, I've tried it when I test drove, it's still not comparable to the fun of driving a manual with a clutch
Old 03-23-05, 01:51 PM
bobm_lexus
Driver School Candidate

If it's a sequential, paddle shift manual transmission, that's fine. But if it's an automatic with paddle shifters, like the auto on the current IS300, Lexus won't see any of my money. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. A manual tranny is just plain more fun, and offers more control for serious sporty driving.

When I get the auto trans IS300 as a loaner from my dealer, it drives me nuts that I hit the button for a shift, and the car starts to think about it, but doesn't shift until some unpredictable delay has occurred.
Old 03-23-05, 03:13 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
if one day toyota will make something like the smg
It's not if, but Toyota has already been making MR2 Spyders with a 6-speed SMT for 4 years.

As for the IS350, sadly it's gonna be just like the new GS, with a fake manual-shifting automatic transmission.
Old 03-23-05, 03:50 PM
curiousg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
It's not if, but Toyota has already been making MR2 Spyders with a 6-speed SMT for 4 years.

As for the IS350, sadly it's gonna be just like the new GS, with a fake manual-shifting automatic transmission.
I think Toyota will have to improve on the MR2 implementation (a vehicle no longer being made by the way).

I like a stick as much as anyone, but from a performance standpoint, a manual with hydraulic/computer controlled clutch (not auto. w/ manual mode) is a better option. There is a reason why that is what F1 cars use.
Old 03-23-05, 04:20 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by curiousg
I think Toyota will have to improve on the MR2 implementation (a vehicle no longer being made by the way).

I like a stick as much as anyone, but from a performance standpoint, a manual with hydraulic/computer controlled clutch (not auto. w/ manual mode) is a better option. There is a reason why that is what F1 cars use.
The MR2 Spyder is still being made, though in its last model year. I agree that its implementation of 6-speed SMT has MUCH to be improved, accelerating from 0 to 60mph in more than a second slower than the standard 5-speed manual version (8.3 secs vs. 7.0 secs).

BMW has otherwise proved that with a properly done SMT, a car can shift quicker and achieve better acceleration times than with a conventional stick.
Old 03-23-05, 05:27 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't worry the IS350 6spd and the retractable hardtop will come out in a year or two. I'm sure Lexus will not just introduce the new IS with 4 models and then let it die out.

It's make more sense if they intro the 4 models by fall of 2005 and wait for a year then introduce a couple more of the IS versions such as the regular IS350 6spd manual and the IS350 6spds manual with retractable hard top.

Then, a year after that intro the IS hybrid AWD. This will keep sales going for awhile, don't you think. They've learned from the past mistake with 1IS with only 3 options( IS Auto, IS 5spd and the Sportcross). I bet they won't make the same mistake again.
Old 03-23-05, 06:19 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

so it looks like it will be a while until we get 6 speed stick on the 350 version. i am kinda lost what lexus did. you get the stick shift because you want performance but then you wont get 250 if you want performance, and then 250 is the only version that offered real stick....... and then ... ok i think you get my point.

Quick Reply: So what's the deal Manual or no Manual X-Mission for the IS350 ?