IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

When will IS350 coupe come out

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-05, 03:31 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SDLexus
Here's a photoshopped image of what an IS coupe could look like. The door could be totally different I just copied what Toyota did with the TC.
That looks pretty much like a re-badged Scion tC, regardless if you based it off the tC or not (look at the rear quarter)
Old 03-29-05, 03:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
THe IS coupe will not go the BMW route of a sedan with 2 less doors. They will go more so the Infintii route of the coupe not sharing many panels with the sedan.
wow, different panels huh? that would be another exciting car to see then
Old 03-29-05, 04:01 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
wow, different panels huh? that would be another exciting car to see then
Yeah, hopefully lower, wider, & a more agressive stance

Actually even the 330ci shares little body panels with the 330i, as much as they look alike.
Old 03-29-05, 04:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AmethySC

Actually even the 330ci shares little body panels with the 330i, as much as they look alike.
just like the 996 and 997
Old 03-29-05, 05:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AmethySC

Didn't know that. I like how Infiniti has the G35s look different. The Honda Accord coupe/sedan share only headlights.
Old 03-29-05, 05:17 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Didn't know that. I like how Infiniti has the G35s look different. The Honda Accord coupe/sedan share only headlights.
The 3 Series is composed of sedans, coupes, convertibles, and wagons. Ten models are available, varying considerably in price, power, and packaging, plus there two M3 models. All are based on the same chassis and all ride on the same 107.3-inch wheelbase, but the coupes and convertibles share few body panels with the sedans and wagons.
Source : http://www.wlns.com/global/story.asp?s=2599667
At first glance, the sedan and coupe look the same except for the number of doors. BMW, however, says the two share no body panels.
source: http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national...w/3series.tmpl

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-29-05 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-30-05, 11:20 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
That looks pretty much like a re-badged Scion tC, regardless if you based it off the tC or not (look at the rear quarter)
Yeah, that was pretty much my opinion after I did it. I hope, as others have pointed out, that Lexus does use a slightly different bodystyle for the coupe. As it stands now, if they did just take away 2 doors I'm not sure it would do to well since the car would look more like a Scion TC than it already does.
Old 03-31-05, 08:38 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Same relation with the Camry sedan and the Camry Solara coupe. To be honest, there are no shared body panels or parts, even the interior is different.
Old 03-31-05, 10:40 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SDLexus
Yeah, that was pretty much my opinion after I did it. I hope, as others have pointed out, that Lexus does use a slightly different bodystyle for the coupe. As it stands now, if they did just take away 2 doors I'm not sure it would do to well since the car would look more like a Scion TC than it already does.
Looks nice BTW. Does the IS and the tC actually share any parts, or is it just styling coincidence?
Old 04-01-05, 02:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Looks nice BTW. Does the IS and the tC actually share any parts, or is it just styling coincidence?
umm.... don't know for sure, but i highly doubt it
Old 04-05-05, 11:56 AM
TED_FR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lf-c

I guess we should expect something more 'a la' LF-C than a two door IS350 which does not bring that much to the sedan in words of design.
Personnaly I would be interested in a lower and shorter body such as what we've seen with the LF-C.

If you look at it the IS350 and the LF-C share the same front part already.
Old 04-05-05, 11:58 AM
LexFather

Not 1 panel or screw.
Old 04-06-05, 04:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I highly doubt that Lexus will make the IS Coupe look like the sedan. They did that once with the 1994 Camry coupe, and look what happened to that model. Sold very poorly. They ended up discontinuing that model and introduced the Camry Solara. They said that there isnt much of a market that wants the coupe to resemble the sedan. Hence they went forth by introducing an entirely new bodystyle on the same platform, and even went further by giving it a different name.

Lexus is a company that learns from its mistakes the first time, and no way in hell are they going to introduce the IS Coupe that will look exactly like the sedan. On top of that, its main competitors that have coupe spinoffs have considerably different sheet metal(i.e. 3-series, G35, A4 Cabrio, C-class Sport Coupe, and even the old Acura CL/TL.). I will be totally shocked if the coupe shares a lot of body panels with the sedan. I only expect the headlights and lower bumper to be carried over to the coupe.
Old 04-06-05, 11:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

it's hard to say. on one hand we have the g35 and the g35c, they look completely different and i think that's the right move

but on the other hand, if you look at the e46, the coupe and the sedan have different panels, but in general they look very similar. and personally i think they both look good

imho it's up to the design and style of the car. the new IS i will have to see the car fisrt before i can say anything
Old 04-09-05, 07:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Please tell me they're going to make a regular 2 door IS coupe with no folding top, & I want it to be lower & wider & come with a real 6 speed manual transmission.

Quick Reply: When will IS350 coupe come out