IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I think I'm going to get a new IS when they come out - pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-05, 03:45 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I think I'm going to get a new IS when they come out - pricing?

Do you think the pricing on this model is going to be just like the GS where you should feel lucky if you even got them to budge 500 bucks?

If so, I was wondering if I just walked into my local dealer and said "I want an IS, I'll pay sticker, but I want a 100k mile warranty thrown in for free" if they would take that deal? How much does the 100k mile really cost them from their standpoint. I know they charge a pretty penny for it, but at the same time, warranties seem to have a pretty good markup too, so it's kinda like one of those things where they can make an easy sale if they just include an extra item that doesn't really cost them much anyway.

Does that sound feasable to y'all?
Old 04-01-05, 06:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

1) the is350, loaded, imho it would be around 40k
2) i think the new IS will have a even bigger hit than the gs, it's going to sell even more and crazier, so the price probably will stay a bit on the high side for a while
3) you can try about the warranty, but it's hard to say...
4) doesn't cost them that much at all i think. coz' the car hardly breaks down...
Old 04-02-05, 03:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

problem is that you wont get any significantly $$$ off MSRP when the car is just introduced and there is limited supply. If you wait for few months after introduction, you will be able to get some $$$ off MSRP... supply and demand!
Old 04-02-05, 06:19 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
4) doesn't cost them that much at all i think. coz' the car hardly breaks down...
I'm pretty sure that if they're like most places... when they sell a warranty they pay a certain amount to Lexus and keep the profits for themselves (a much higher percentage of profit than on the car itself, for example). Then, just like with the factory warranty, when a claim comes in on that extended warranty, Lexus pays up.

They more or less act like the underwriter for the extended warranty.
Old 04-04-05, 12:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Threxx
I'm pretty sure that if they're like most places... when they sell a warranty they pay a certain amount to Lexus and keep the profits for themselves (a much higher percentage of profit than on the car itself, for example). Then, just like with the factory warranty, when a claim comes in on that extended warranty, Lexus pays up.

They more or less act like the underwriter for the extended warranty.
yeah i believe that's how it works. coz' if you car has problem in the extended warranty period, you take your car to ANY dealership to fix it. so it has to be claimed towards lexus corp directly

but read the fine print though. when i got my cars from longo, they explained to me about the extended warranty and they said every time there isa 50 bucks fee..... but if i go to longo they will wavive it. other dealreship i will have to pay that
Old 04-05-05, 08:00 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah i believe that's how it works. coz' if you car has problem in the extended warranty period, you take your car to ANY dealership to fix it. so it has to be claimed towards lexus corp directly

but read the fine print though. when i got my cars from longo, they explained to me about the extended warranty and they said every time there isa 50 bucks fee..... but if i go to longo they will wavive it. other dealreship i will have to pay that
Henry Henry Henry.....what 50 bucks fee are you talking about?
Old 04-05-05, 10:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Longo Lexus
Henry Henry Henry.....what 50 bucks fee are you talking about?
ummm..... not sure if i was confused or what then..... i remember very clearly about the 50 bucks deductable when the finance manager talked me into buying the extended warranty. if it's not on the warranty, then i can't figure where it's from. can't be lojack, can't be the paint protection?
Old 04-05-05, 10:47 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I have an extended warranty through Longo. 100k miles. Zero deductible.
Old 04-05-05, 11:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by flipside909
I have an extended warranty through Longo. 100k miles. Zero deductible.
damn, so what was i hearing then
Old 04-06-05, 03:43 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going to see if the IS is big enough...also wondering what the new ES would look like...then maybe a buy...
Old 04-06-05, 03:47 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by enigma354
I'm going to see if the IS is big enough...also wondering what the new ES would look like...then maybe a buy...
That's not going to be out for another 2 years at least, though, right?
Old 04-06-05, 03:49 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

You aren' t going to cross shop between the new IS with the new ES are you ? The ES will always be more practical in terms of size, but it's going to have a softer, more luxurious ride but less fun to drive.
Old 04-06-05, 11:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AmethySC
You aren' t going to cross shop between the new IS with the new ES are you ? The ES will always be more practical in terms of size, but it's going to have a softer, more luxurious ride but less fun to drive.
agree.... comparing those two cars, that's just wrong..... lexus makes those two cars at about the same price as entry level lexus models for a reason -- different markets
Old 04-07-05, 12:11 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My whole point of comparing the two IS PRICE.

As to who drives the car, well that could either be me or someone else in the family...

...so an IS OR ES is in the consideration, after all...both are Lexus automobiles!

And, having driven an ES previously, I am somewhat attached to the type.
Old 04-07-05, 01:11 AM
TED_FR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any future for the ES?

My whole point of comparing the two IS PRICE.

As to who drives the car, well that could either be me or someone else in the family...

...so an IS OR ES is in the consideration, after all...both are Lexus automobiles!

And, having driven an ES previously, I am somewhat attached to the type.
The 2006 IS is a bigger, more luxurious car when compared with 2005 IS. I wonder if there is still room left for the ES between 2006 IS and 2006 GS. Furthermore, in the US at least, Toyota's and Lexus car line up overlap. With Camry, Solara and Avalon, I think the ES is redundant.

Since it is not a Lexus 'L-Finesse' generation, but a rebadged Toyota, wether Lexus want to introduce a next generation ES is still unknown.

Quick Reply: I think I'm going to get a new IS when they come out - pricing?