IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

E90 330i pricing and European Delivery comments

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 03:26 PM
nyoneway
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you want to be cheap, skip the vacation, the autobahn and a chance to drive your new car in the Ring... then spend $500 and do a roundtrip flight. Many people have done it and it takes a day. It's doable to save a couple of g's.
Old 04-08-05, 06:32 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by nyoneway
Well if you want to be cheap, skip the vacation, the autobahn and a chance to drive your new car in the Ring... then spend $500 and do a roundtrip flight. Many people have done it and it takes a day. It's doable to save a couple of g's.
Doable, indeed. But how many folks who take advantage of ED would want to skip a chance at a Euro vacaction?? I mean, c'mon, someone who's going to buy the car anyway might certainly be tempted; you're describing what amounts to a paid for vacation. And, folks, nyoneway is correct that the ED program has been in place for years. I remember reading an article in C&D back in the 80s regarding same (they also pointed out that most Euro mfgrs exporting to the States had similar programs).

But I suspect that even tho this program does place BMW in a better position, value-wise, than Lexus, there won't be too many converts from the land of Lexus. It seems to me that Lexus owners and BMW owners have differing priorities (neither being better or worse than the other, just different). I'd be willing to bet that not too many Bimmer buyers take advantage, either, for whatever reason. And, for me at least, the cost of being off even a couple of days would more than offset the savings of ED (tho this would be a moot point if I'd decided on the "vacation").

However, this is just one old doctor's opinion; ymmv.
Old 04-09-05, 05:56 AM
biker
Lead Lap

It seems to me that, save for SUV converts, the market for the $30K+ sedan is somewhat fixed. Given the general population's infatuation with BMW, the extra sales that Lexus envisions for the IS won't come out mostly of BMW's share but others. Like the mid-sized luxury segment seems to show, the pie is just getting redistrubuted among many players. TSX/TL are going on their 3rd year so they'll lose some sales. G35 is getting long in the tooth (even with the 05 makeover) and will lose some. The C-class sells quite well (and should do fine with the new drivetrains) but the sales may flatten. The new 3 series will sell well. The CTS might take it on the chin - although I think the demographic there is a bit different. The A4 is all new, but like the A6 I think it might be slowing in sales also. Anyone else in the segment is a niche player at less than 1K/mo and won't matter much in the big scheme of things.

Bottom line is that the fixed pie will be cut up differently. To make the IS section of the pie large enough - Lexus better be prepared to entice folks with the all mighty low price (and aiming high and then offering discounts when the quota is not reached should be choice b).
Old 04-09-05, 02:02 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I wish Lexus can have a Japanese Delivery program, I would consider it. . . .
I'd do it! Japan is not too far away from me!!
Old 04-09-05, 05:09 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ED is not a bad way to have a nice car on your Euro trip if you consider that renting an econo car can be pricey. Also the joy of taking your car on speeds that would land you in jail in the US.
Old 04-09-05, 09:50 PM
1Violinist
Driver School Candidate

Smile JD (Japanese Delivery)

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
I'd do it! Japan is not too far away from me!!
Well, Japan's roads are very small and congested; besides, they drive on the left side of the road with the steering wheel on the right side of the car!

Last edited by 1Violinist; 04-13-05 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-10-05, 06:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Violinist
Well, Japan's roads are very small and conjested; besides, they drive on the left side of the road with the steering wheel on the right side of the car!
Actually, it's not that hard at all to adapt to RHD roads, especially when the traffic is relatively heavy, you would just go with flow of the cars around you so it's not that easy to get confused.
I drove my parents' RHD cars in HK when I went back for vacation when I was a student, & I can get used to it very soon, even with the stick shift car, where I have to shift with my left hand instead of the right which I'm used to.
Old 04-10-05, 10:37 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Actually, it's not that hard at all to adapt to RHD roads, especially when the traffic is relatively heavy, you would just go with flow of the cars around you so it's not that easy to get confused.
I drove my parents' RHD cars in HK when I went back for vacation when I was a student, & I can get used to it very soon, even with the stick shift car, where I have to shift with my left hand instead of the right which I'm used to.
I had no problems driving in Australia/ South Africa but almost got killed by a bus in Sydney when by habit looked the wrong way.
Old 04-10-05, 11:20 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah but we're looking for them to NOT be full of traffic
Old 04-10-05, 12:32 PM
1Violinist
Driver School Candidate

I lived in the UK for some time and quickly adjusted to their system, but remember that the Lexus you're buying would have the steering wheel on the left side as usual. So, driving such a car in RHD would even make it worse. In many countries it's illegal!
Old 04-10-05, 12:38 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by biker
I had no problems driving in Australia/ South Africa but almost got killed by a bus in Sydney when by habit looked the wrong way.
Well, that may be more likely on those narrow back roads where there are no clear partition, but if it's on the main roads, you are driving on the left side of the road while on the right side of the car, it's actually not easy to get confused & look the wrong way, that's my experience anyway . . .

However, I' ve never driven on the left side of the road with a LHD car though, that would be the case if there were a Japanese Delivery Program for Japanese luxury car.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-10-05 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-10-05, 01:01 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1Violinist
I lived in the UK for some time and quickly adjusted to their system, but remember that the Lexus you're buying would have the steering wheel on the left side as usual. So, driving such a car in RHD would even make it worse. In many countries it's illegal!
It's OK to import RHD only Skyline GTR into the US, so it's legal here. I' ve also heard it's legal to drive LHD cars in Japan, but I can see why some countries make it illegal.
Old 04-10-05, 10:33 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Although the status is cool, driving an RHD vehicle really isn't all it's cracked up to be. You can't use drive-up ATM's, you can't use parking garages, you can't use the drive-through... it's really messed up. A friend of mine had an RHD Integra Type R over here and I always had to do his gruntwork
Old 04-11-05, 03:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Sounds good to me, a lot of creative thinking and people paying extra to buy Lexus? Sounds great.

What BMW will miss in performance, they will make up in affordability!!!

p.s. It is pretty crazy to think that you will get 5k off brand new model 330i which is going to be in crazy demand for first 2 years.
Old 04-12-05, 05:13 AM
biker
Lead Lap

p.s. It is pretty crazy to think that you will get 5k off brand new model 330i which is going to be in crazy demand for first 2 years.
If you are willing to do ED, you can from day one. Actually people have already ordered loaded 330i for 5K off the US MSRP. No you can't get 5K off ED MSRP.

Quick Reply: E90 330i pricing and European Delivery comments