IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

E90 330i pricing and European Delivery comments

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 06:08 AM
nyoneway
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E90 330i pricing and European Delivery comments

I went to the BMW dealer today to price out a 2006 BMW 330i with the following options:

6sp tranny
Sports Package
Navigation
Sirius Radio

Since the new 330i already come with a lot of the "old" options already standard on the new one, there's not much more I want.

The MSRP for the European Delivery + the above options is ~$38,000k and some folks over a www.bimmerfest.com claimed to have gotten $1000 - $1500 over invoice on European Delivery. Dealers are willing to discount ED cars because it does not come out out their monthly allocation of cars. It's just paperwork and pure profit. So it's possible to buy a E90 330i loaded with the options I want for $36,500 which puts it in the same price range as a IS250.

Other factors to consider is that Insurance for the current model E46 330i is much cheaper than the IS300 and the residual for the 330i for leasing have been better than the IS300. How much things will change with the new model remains to be seen but know this, the new IS350 have 100 more hp than the IS300 it replaces and approx $10k more, so I don't see insurance rates dropping. There's $500 cash rebate available to people who sign up for a BMW club. You can get the 330i with a manual, and it comes with a 4 year 50k free maintenance plan. Plus when you go for European Delivery, you can drive your car in the autobahn, race a couple of laps at the Nurburgring and drive around the Switz Alps. All with free insurance and free shipping back to the US. Now that's a great incentive.

The IS350 maybe slightly faster than the new 330i, but at a cost of probably ~$5,000 more.

Lexus is no longer the value leader. That said I still like the IS350 more, cept I wish we could have gotten more value, I don't know if I can justify the extra $5k over a manual 330i. BMW gave more standard options to the new 330i and haven't really raised the price at all.
Old 04-08-05, 07:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I wish Lexus can have a Japanese Delivery program, I would consider it. No autobahns though . . .
Old 04-08-05, 08:36 AM
TED_FR
Driver

That's quite interesting. In Europe 3 serie comes in 4 level of equipement: Premiere, Confort, Luxe or Sport. In order to get about the same level as Lexus is used to propose here, we'll have to consider the 'Luxe' level.

Estimate IS250 : € 37,900
IS300 (215 HP) : € 38,990 without NAV
BMW 325i Luxe (218 HP) : € 38,200 without NAV
BMW 330i Luxe (258 HP) : € 42,100 without NAV
Estimate IS350 € 44,900

So it appears to me that the IS250 may very well be in the area of the 325i, while the IS350 will HAVE to be more than the base 330i Luxe. However, to really have both cars with similar equipments, you have to add up some options to the BMW:
metalic paint : € 750 (standard on Lexus)
6 Spteptronic : € 2150
18" wheels : €1,150
Keyless entry : € 650
Hi-Fi / 13 speakers : € 1,200
Blue tooth interface : € 790
Adaptative headligths: € 450
Electric adjustable seats : € 1,350
6 CD : € 430
What I want to illustrate, is that as in the past a fully loaded (we have no other choice) Lexus is pretty close from a mid-level 330. But if you want to get the very same level of equipment, then the BMW (that's true as well for the Mercedes-Benz) turns out to be far more expensive (more than 10 K extra).
So I assume that you could get a 258 HP 330i for less than a 300 + HP IS350 (which makes sense) but most likely, you would end up with a damn expensive BMW.
Old 04-08-05, 09:18 AM
nyoneway
Driver School Candidate

I suppose it's the same if we're comparing the same level of equipment, apple to apple, however, there' s a few options I don't care to have. Here's why the 330i can be cheaper.

1. European Delivery knocks off about - $3000
2. Manual Tranny - $1500
3. No Premium Package which adds a few unneccessary things like Leather ( most people perfer the standard Letherette), Homelink, Folding Mirrors, etc. -$2000
4. Discounts, there are additional discounts from the dealer if you do European Delivery -$1000. I doubt you can get much discounts on a new IS350 for the first 6 months.
5. If you join this BMW club, you get an additonal $500 rebate.

So yes, you will pay full price on the IS350 which is estimated to be around $42000, but a BMW 330i well equipped with NAV can be had for $36000 if you do the legwork.

Last edited by nyoneway; 04-08-05 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-08-05, 09:32 AM
TED_FR
Driver

Question

Originally Posted by nyoneway
I suppose it's the same if we're comparing the same level of equipment, apple to apple, however, there' s a few options I don't care to have. Here's why the 330i can be cheaper.

1. European Delivery knocks off about - $3000
2. Manual Tranny - $1500
3. No Premium Package which adds a few unneccessary things like Leather ( most people perfer the standard Letherette), Homelink, Folding Mirrors, etc. -$2000
4. Discounts, there are additional discounts from the dealer if you do European Delivery -$1000. I doubt you can get much discounts on a new IS350 for the first 6 months.
5. If you join this BMW club, you get an additonal $500 rebate.

So yes, you will pay full price on the IS350 which is estimated to be around $42000, but a BMW 330i well equipped with NAV can be had for $36000 if you do the legwork.
Sorry to ask, but what exactly is 'European Delivery'
Old 04-08-05, 09:43 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Can you verify that shipping back to US from Euro delivery is free? Those programs generally "cost" enough that, while Euro delivery car is cheaper, shipping brings price roughly back to American levels (but does provide you with that Euro vacation/driving opportunity).
Old 04-08-05, 09:44 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah but weren't they expecting the IS350 to be around $42k fully loaded? Oh wait, that's speculation again.

We can't say "OMGOMG BMW'S CHEAPER" or anything like that until they officially release pricing info on the new IS. This is alllllllllll speculation.
Old 04-08-05, 09:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

You get a price break from MSRP if you're eligible for the BMW European Delivery program, the amount of savings depending on the model : http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/EuropeanDelivery/
Old 04-08-05, 10:27 AM
nyoneway
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TED_FR
Sorry to ask, but what exactly is 'European Delivery'
European Delivery is flying over to Munich, Germany to pick up your car from BMW's factory. Drive it in Europe for up to 2 weeks with insurance, registration, tax etc all paid for by BMW. When you're done, you drop it off and BMW will ship the car to your local dealer in the US for free. And on top of that, BMW also gives you a $2500-$3000 discount, in addition to any discounts your local dealer will give you which they would normally NOT discounts for cars sold at the dealership. So people will pay MSRP at the dealer, but ED people will get discounts from the dealer and BMW.

Yes this is all free. All you have to paid for is airfare, hotel, and food.

Here's a thread describing it:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1740
Old 04-08-05, 10:46 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

If I ever bought a BMW or even a MBZ, I would definitely do the European Delivery Program.
Old 04-08-05, 11:21 AM
TED_FR
Driver

Smile

European Delivery is flying over to Munich, Germany to pick up your car from BMW's factory. Drive it in Europe for up to 2 weeks with insurance, registration, tax etc all paid for by BMW. When you're done, you drop it off and BMW will ship the car to your local dealer in the US for free. And on top of that, BMW also gives you a $2500-$3000 discount, in addition to any discounts your local dealer will give you which they would normally NOT discounts for cars sold at the dealership. So people will pay MSRP at the dealer, but ED people will get discounts from the dealer and BMW.

Thanks for explanation, I did not know that, sounds quite attractive.
Old 04-08-05, 11:25 AM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

I am amazed at this ED thingy. I mean, you get 2 weeks vacation in Europe, drive the car at your pleasure, drop it off for shipping, shipping to your dealer is FREE, plus you get $3K rebate, plus $500 if you join a club..... All of these goodies and yet ALL Bimmer buyers aren't going ED route for all of their BMW purchases ? I would if I know all these goodies and freebies are laid out for me just to buy a Bimmer.

IMO, the reality is that the ED is just a tacky way to lure buyers, and then slam them for more downstream when they come to pick up their cheaply purchased car. Good luck buying a brand new (even new design) loaded 330i for $36,500 on planet Earth, when even in the home country of BMW, you cannot even remotely get one for that price even assuming the Euro ~ Dollar conversion.
Old 04-08-05, 11:33 AM
nyoneway
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bluestar
IMO, the reality is that the ED is just a tacky way to lure buyers, and then slam them for more downstream when they come to pick up their cheaply purchased car. Good luck buying a brand new (even new design) loaded 330i for $36,500 on planet Earth, when even in the home country of BMW, you cannot even remotely get one for that price even assuming the Euro ~ Dollar conversion.
Actually the ED program have been going on for many many years. No one have been slammed or ripped for on anything. There's less ways for dealers to rip you off on a ED delivery since you area dealing with BMW directly. The only charge is a $695 destinating fee that any car you purchase, whether a BMW or Lexus, you have to pay.

Here's what people are paying for the ED.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93185
Old 04-08-05, 12:07 PM
LexFather

I went to the BMW dealer today to price out a 2006 BMW 330i with the following options:

6sp tranny
Sports Package
Navigation
Sirius Radio

Since the new 330i already come with a lot of the "old" options already standard on the new one, there's not much more I want.

The MSRP for the European Delivery + the above options is ~$38,000k and some folks over a www.bimmerfest.com claimed to have gotten $1000 - $1500 over invoice on European Delivery. Dealers are willing to discount ED cars because it does not come out out their monthly allocation of cars. It's just paperwork and pure profit. So it's possible to buy a E90 330i loaded with the options I want for $36,500 which puts it in the same price range as a IS250.

Other factors to consider is that Insurance for the current model E46 330i is much cheaper than the IS300 and the residual for the 330i for leasing have been better than the IS300. How much things will change with the new model remains to be seen but know this, the new IS350 have 100 more hp than the IS300 it replaces and approx $10k more, so I don't see insurance rates dropping. There's $500 cash rebate available to people who sign up for a BMW club. You can get the 330i with a manual, and it comes with a 4 year 50k free maintenance plan. Plus when you go for European Delivery, you can drive your car in the autobahn, race a couple of laps at the Nurburgring and drive around the Switz Alps. All with free insurance and free shipping back to the US. Now that's a great incentive.

The IS350 maybe slightly faster than the new 330i, but at a cost of probably ~$5,000 more.

Lexus is no longer the value leader. That said I still like the IS350 more, cept I wish we could have gotten more value, I don't know if I can justify the extra $5k over a manual 330i. BMW gave more standard options to the new 330i and haven't really raised the price at all.
1. Welcome to Clublexus
2. Lexus is no longer the value leader=
3. We DO NOT HAVE MSRP or any pricing on the IS350, how can you make a thread title such as yours?
4. ED=

Sorry bub, but you have no info on IS 350 pricing so I am going to change your thread title
Old 04-08-05, 01:41 PM
biker
Lead Lap

To be fare, the full savings are only realized if you somehow get to/from and stay in Munich free. Most folks who do ED combine it with a European vacation which eats up most of the savings. The more expensive the car the greater the savings potential (in general you get 7% off). You'll see on many BMW boards that folks in the upper brackets can't be botherred to save 5K+ on a 5 series even if it means only 2 days off from work. For the truly thrifty, ED is the way to go but it's not a free lunch.

I'm not sure how much Lexus dealer are willing to deal but as the example above points out Lexus will have to come out with some pretty low prices to stay below the 3 series. I can drive to Munich in 5 hours to pick up a lightly optioned US spec 325 for 30K which includes free maintenance (and shipping to the US). I'm not sure if dangling that in front of a Lexus dealer when it comes time to buy an IS250 would work, but it's a good example that Lexus can't price themselves too high.

The full list of E90 prices, including invoice, can be found here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92230

Quick Reply: E90 330i pricing and European Delivery comments