IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

BLACK IS350 test-driven at Fuji Speedway with detailed story

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-05, 08:41 PM
webhed
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In this pic it looks like the rear has fender flares .

Old 05-07-05, 09:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Those are the natural bodylines...so that the optional wider/staggered profile 18s fit in the rear.
Old 05-07-05, 09:12 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I assume your ES is gone as soon as the new IS comes out ?
Heh...you would think.
Old 05-08-05, 12:10 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I assume your ES is gone as soon as the new IS comes out ?
So where did you get the hint?

I'd probably wait for the redesign of the ES to get the maximum span out of my '02 ES's up-to-date look, and to get a better deal on the new IS. But yes, this is soooo looking to be my next car.
Old 05-08-05, 12:12 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Heh...you would think.
So how 'bout you, flip? Keeping your classic IS? (not that it's a bad thing at all)
Old 05-08-05, 04:38 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I'd probably wait for the redesign of the ES to get the maximum span out of my '02 ES's up-to-date look, and to get a better deal on the new IS. But yes, this is soooo looking to be my next car.

forget about the next ES.

new IS is looking so good..
Old 05-10-05, 05:29 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

IS300GE @ my.is translated the article for us. Big thanks to him.

It's really funny (or kinda sad) that Toyota thinks they did not make a good car on this one only because it drives too good to be a "typical Toyota". It's about time they wake up and make some true driver's car!

Love the article after translation. The new IS is looking very promising to overthrow the 3 this time around.

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?p...59#post3422259

Here's his translation:

The new Lexus IS (formally Altezza) was first announced in Japan on April 18th. The place is Fuji Speedway in Shizuoka. The car is equipped with either a 2.5L or 3.5L engine, containing more than 300 horsepower. Numerous reporters came to inquire about the driver's personal experience with the new car. The car was driven by a professional driver with the reporter inside.

(While an official statement was unavailable, it has been generally believed that Toyota felt that they did not make a good car with the new IS, because it differs so much from a typical Toyota.) As far as a professional driver is concerned, the current Toyota Altezza was too soft and smooth, making it unsatisfying to a professional driver. However, the new IS is different.

Although I was only riding in the passenger's seat, there isn't just one word that could sufficiently describe the experience. From the moment I left the Fuji Speedway pit at full speed, I could immediately feel the full force of the acceleration. The meter instantly shot up to 120kph and I was instantly forced back into my seat. Rushing into the first corner, the driver applied the brakes and started his sharp turn. While it was only about 70kph, I could feel the blood rushing up the left side of my head from the tremendous Gs.

Next he did lane changes. Numerous cones were set up in the middle of the road, requiring quick reflexes with the steering wheel to avoid. The car's speed stayed constant the entire time. The driver performed sharp turns consistently at 140kph, instantly tossing my body left and right. A car can’t be considered to have ran the Fuji Speedway if it didn't try to do a high speed turn around a corner at 160 kph. The car swerved greatly and during that time I thought that we would flip over and spin out. But the car held tightly to the ground and easily recovered. Then the driver accelerated the car up to 180kph. This time he fully applied the brakes− I felt as if I would fly out of my seat, but the car came to a smooth stop. After that the car was driven around the track a few more times to test out its performance and then taken to the pit.

If I could, I would have taken that car and drove it at full acceleration all the way home. In any case, I don't think there has ever been another Toyota like it. In fact, not only meets the current number one sedan today, the Honda Legend (Acura RL), I believe it most likely exceeds it.
Old 05-10-05, 11:04 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Nice translation. It "exceeds" the Acura RL when their not even in the same class? thats good to hear
Old 05-11-05, 05:31 AM
iatacs19
Rookie

thanks for the translation!
Old 05-11-05, 07:30 PM
Brett_McS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks also for the translation. Only good news in that report!

I dearly hope they do a lot of testing on real road conditions also. Not a lot of race-track quality road around here.
Old 05-12-05, 03:30 AM
biker
Lead Lap

The comparison with the Legend is for handling only. The Legend has won many shootouts with other sedans when it comes to handling. If the G numbers prove out his seat of the pants feelings it just goes to show that you don't need some fancy AWD system to get great handling.

It would have been interesting to hear what this same person would have to say about an E90 330.
Old 05-12-05, 06:17 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

"In any case, I don't think there has ever been another Toyota like it. In fact, not only meets the current number one sedan today, the Honda Legend (Acura RL), I believe it most likely exceeds it."

Hm, I guess his definition of handling differs from mine, if he thinks the Legend is the #1 handling Japanese sedan. The RL is actually a pretty fun to drive car, but based on my test drives, the Skyline (G35), Fuga (M35), and Altezza (IS300) all have it beat in handling.
Old 05-12-05, 12:12 PM
IS300GE
Driver School Candidate

From the article, I supposed he meant as a whole, with handling, performance and such that he felt it was better, not necessarily that its the official word...
Old 05-12-05, 12:16 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS300GE
From the article, I supposed he meant as a whole, with handling, performance and such that he felt it was better, not necessarily that its the official word...
Hey IS300GE glad to see your first post here at CL. Keep up the good work and post some more!!
Old 05-12-05, 12:32 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by IS300GE
There's really no such thing as the official word, different people will have their own opinions . . .

Quick Reply: BLACK IS350 test-driven at Fuji Speedway with detailed story