IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Opinion on IS350 Designing Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-05, 03:04 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on IS350 Designing Techniques

You guys like lexus, and want the best for the company as 99% of you here own a LEXUS. What I am saying is what do you think of L-Finesse. You've seen the GS and the IS and do you think Lexus has it right... I want your opinion. In my opinon the new IS350 looks sleek, and it has a good chance that it will be a HUGE success. What do you guys think?

Mink92890
Old 05-13-05, 03:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Looks good enough to be a big seller if they price it right, but not enough model variations to displace BMW 3 series as the sales leader in this class yet.
Old 05-13-05, 04:26 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love it. In past years (pre-2005 I'd say), Lexus really only had a leg-up on the competition in reliability (as well as a bit of fuel efficiency), seeing as how Lexus is the most reliable car manufacturer on the market (based on a CR chart, I can find that for you if you want). They're finally getting into the newer technologies that other luxury marks have had above them in the past: push-button start, bluetooth, cooled seats, use of LED's, 6-speed automatics (although the 7 speed in the Benz still throws me off), proximity/fingerprint keyless entry, lighted door sills, reverse camera, etc.

Lexus has always made really nice cars, but their cars have never really been so "tailored", like a lot of the German manufacturers have been. I'd have to say, in my true honest opinion, the new GS is the most perfect vehicle Lexus has manufacturered thus far, which leaves me with positive expectations for the new upcoming 2IS.
Old 05-13-05, 05:20 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I am even more excited about the IS than I was with the GS, also a phenomenal car. I love the L-Finesse look, the only part which bugs me is the rear but in person the GS looks great, I hope the IS will too.
Old 05-13-05, 06:15 PM
xioix
Racer

didnt really like the cars design at first, but with different colors and angles, ive grown to really like the new models

it will take some time before they start taking over the market like the LS took over the S/7

Last edited by xioix; 05-14-05 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-13-05, 11:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think it's going to be a good seller, even better than the gs, since it's "cheaper" and you get more for the car imho. it's not going to touch the sales of the es and the rx though, imho, those are just too family car and the sales volume is hard to beat.

but i think with the new IS lexus is making a bold statement about their future
Old 05-14-05, 12:51 AM
biker
Lead Lap

In order to get a bigger piece of the fixed pie that makes up the segment, the IS must have something going for it - and L-finesse might be it. MB has the name, BMW the handling, Acura the package deal, Infiniti the power game, Audi the Quatro thing, Caddy the "Buy American" thing, Volvo the safety, etc. The reliability/service thing will only carry Lexus so far - most of the others are good enough in this area. Single gadgets (like push button start) won't carry it too far either - all of them will have that feature soon enough. It's the overall packaging with the L-finesse theme that might carry the day. Now if they just don't screw up the trunk like on the GS.....
Old 05-14-05, 04:43 AM
mink92890
Lead Lap

The main thing that in my opinion not mant people like it is because it is Japaneese. I know it is stupid but in my opinion I think it is true. Look at mercedes, who has nice cars, but is so much more than a Lexus. That sells so much more than lexus, its unbelieveable. If Lexus was German, which i wouldnt want, dont you think many more people would uy it for the fact it is a german car

Mink92890
Old 05-14-05, 03:15 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by biker
In order to get a bigger piece of the fixed pie that makes up the segment, the IS must have something going for it - and L-finesse might be it. MB has the name, BMW the handling, Acura the package deal, Infiniti the power game, Audi the Quatro thing, Caddy the "Buy American" thing, Volvo the safety, etc. The reliability/service thing will only carry Lexus so far - most of the others are good enough in this area. Single gadgets (like push button start) won't carry it too far either - all of them will have that feature soon enough. It's the overall packaging with the L-finesse theme that might carry the day. Now if they just don't screw up the trunk like on the GS.....
Actually, Acura has the "value" thing going, Lexus is known as having the best overall package in terms of luxury cars. Bigger than L Finesse I think, the new IS will have an *actual* Lexus level interior, since this is a Lexus from the ground up, unlike the Mk1. On top of that, there will be a diesel variant. When the ES and LS come out as well, we will finally see a close family resemblence, and a nice cohesive feel among Lexus cars. It will give Lexus cars a unique, understated, yet elegant style.
Old 05-15-05, 10:01 PM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

Originally Posted by mink92890
The main thing that in my opinion not mant people like it is because it is Japaneese. I know it is stupid but in my opinion I think it is true. Look at mercedes, who has nice cars, but is so much more than a Lexus. That sells so much more than lexus, its unbelieveable. If Lexus was German, which i wouldnt want, dont you think many more people would uy it for the fact it is a german car

Mink92890

Hilarious...someone please delete this..its not even on topic...

I LOVE L-FINESSE.

I cant wait to see what they have cooking for the next LS. These are exciting times we live in.
Old 05-15-05, 11:25 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

He does have a point---some people (and I know a few of them) do buy ONLY German cars, despite the reliability, despite the problems....just as in another thread on this board its mentioned that Americans these days flock to poor quality Japanese cars (some Nissans) while ignoring better quality (now) American cars.

But Lexus has surpassed the German luxury makers in the US in sales for several years now.
Old 05-15-05, 11:31 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The new IS350 is something I would love to get as a next car. It's a tight ride and has alot more power than the IS300. I think I read it get's to 60MPH in 5.7 seconds. Beats my LS by about .2 seconds.
Old 05-16-05, 12:13 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by enigma354
But Lexus has surpassed the German luxury makers in the US in sales for several years now.
Only due to RX and ES which the Germans don't have. In the main stream RWD entry and mid level sedan category Lexus still trails. But if the GS sales are any indication that deficit might be made up with the new models. The IS needs to establish itself within the category then when all the rest of the variants come out (coupe, conv, diesel, hybrid) then the volume might start approaching 3 series levels. The overall package is certainly there - it's just a matter of getting folks to come see it and plunk down the cash.
Old 05-16-05, 01:05 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

Who said I dont like L-Finesse I love it too. The LS and L600 is going to be amazing cant wait... It will have such tremdous value

Mink 92890
Old 05-16-05, 02:14 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mink92890
Who said I dont like L-Finesse I love it too. The LS and L600 is going to be amazing cant wait... It will have such tremdous value

Mink 92890
L600....100 years later L87630900 Cubed. Pretty soon they will run on of numbers to put on the back.

Quick Reply: Opinion on IS350 Designing Techniques