IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 test driven

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-05, 10:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The review seems quite positive indeed, I'm glad to hear about the interior features, the smooth ride, and the aggressive character.
Old 07-14-05, 11:07 PM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can just see it now, the first thread once the car comes out will be "How to turn off VDIM".

I wonder how many IS350s you'll see at an autocross.

Last edited by biker; 07-14-05 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-14-05, 11:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

This is ridiculous ... some of you guys are kind of sad really.

This was a *preview*, not a full test drive, of *pre production* models.

Pre production ... as in still some flaws and such left.

The review seemed really generic, and kind of contradicting.

Compared to the AutoExpress review, the IS250 seems like a boat, where as it was seen as sporty and quick in AutoExpress.

VDIM ... Lexus promised the system on the IS would be less intrusive than the GS .... and I do expect to see that be the case.

Lexus may offer an off button later ... but their stance now is that it can't be turned off. Lexus is concerned with safety, and being a safety leader.

The IS was never meant as a 3 Series copycat ... it was simply meant to match it's performance. ... which it looks like it generally does, while providing more safety, quality, luxury, and refinement. It's a sports sedan, but it's a Lexus.

Lexus is still keeping all their existing qualities, and trying to add more performance and style ... which can be tough. Making a hard edged performance sedan conflicts with some Lexus traits and ideals .... so I guess management over in Japan must be losing lots of sleep over how to achieve a nice balance of Lexus qualities and hard edged performance.

What I say is ... wait till you ACTUALLY test drive one ... and wait till the DETAILED reviews come out.

Due to a few reviews, people moaned and groaned that the new GS 430 couldn't stand up to the M45, but failed to notice that the GS practically matches the M45 in objective performance measures, it simply doesn't "feel" as sporty due to more isolation and refinement compared to the M.

I suspect this to be the case as well ...the reviews may have felt the car as too isolated or too smooth and cruiser like, even though the car may have been displaying great performance.

The performance of Lexus cars is there ... just that in the cabin you don't fully feel it thanks to all the refinement and isolation ... not "feeling" it doesn't mean the car can't perform.

I don't get it why everyone expects Lexus to make a BMW copycat, with razor sharp handling and a ride where you feel every single bump on the road. Lexus is going in it's own direction, while at the same time trying to knock off competitors like the 3 Series from their perches.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 07-14-05 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-15-05, 12:02 AM
maz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
This is ridiculous ... some of you guys are kind of sad really.

This was a *preview*, not a full test drive, of *pre production* models.

Pre production ... as in still some flaws and such left.

The review seemed really generic, and kind of contradicting.

Compared to the AutoExpress review, the IS250 seems like a boat, where as it was seen as sporty and quick in AutoExpress.

VDIM ... Lexus promised the system on the IS would be less intrusive than the GS .... and I do expect to see that be the case.

Lexus may offer an off button later ... but their stance now is that it can't be turned off. Lexus is concerned with safety, and being a safety leader.

The IS was never meant as a 3 Series copycat ... it was simply meant to match it's performance. ... which it looks like it generally does, while providing more safety, quality, luxury, and refinement. It's a sports sedan, but it's a Lexus.

Lexus is still keeping all their existing qualities, and trying to add more performance and style ... which can be tough. Making a hard edged performance sedan conflicts with some Lexus traits and ideals .... so I guess management over in Japan must be losing lots of sleep over how to achieve a nice balance of Lexus qualities and hard edged performance.

What I say is ... wait till you ACTUALLY test drive one ... and wait till the DETAILED reviews come out.

Due to a few reviews, people moaned and groaned that the new GS 430 couldn't stand up to the M45, but failed to notice that the GS practically matches the M45 in objective performance measures, it simply doesn't "feel" as sporty due to more isolation and refinement compared to the M.

I suspect this to be the case as well ...the reviews may have felt the car as too isolated or too smooth and cruiser like, even though the car may have been displaying great performance.

The performance of Lexus cars is there ... just that in the cabin you don't fully feel it thanks to all the refinement and isolation ... not "feeling" it doesn't mean the car can't perform.

I don't get it why everyone expects Lexus to make a BMW copycat, with razor sharp handling and a ride where you feel every single bump on the road. Lexus is going in it's own direction, while at the same time trying to knock off competitors like the 3 Series from their perches.
thank you!
Old 07-15-05, 12:11 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good, i do wish it was more sporty....

and yes, lexus is concerned with safety, but a vdim switch wouldnt be asking too much

i do like the 5.6 to 60 with an auto... i expect <5 with stick

what did we est prices on the 250, 250awd, and 350 were gonna be?
Old 07-15-05, 05:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I agree the VDIM & priority in passenger safety is wonderful, but the driver should definately be given the choice to to turn it off ( I don't want them to just tone down the VDIM, I prefer that it's either on or off ), Lexus must realize having that choice is a luxury too that they should offer , & you want to shut the autojournalists up even if >95 % of the owners won't drive the cars like they do on the test track.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-15-05 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-15-05, 06:41 AM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Default Vdim

I also agree that having the option of turning off VDIM would be great, but then again, I don't know how much impact it really has since I have not driven the IS350.

I'm first on the list at the local Lexus dealer for the IS350 and trying to remain very excited!
Old 07-15-05, 06:51 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So far as for the IS350 which is the car I'm interested in, the only downer I read in that article is about the typical Lexus like steering and the somewhat slow automatic transmission. Hopefully these are things that Lexus will take care of in production models.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 07-15-05 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-15-05, 07:36 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened to the sportiness so positively reported by Peter Lyon and the Japanese test drive article that I posted earlier? I can only hope that Lexus is still in the process of tweaking the performance of the new IS and that it will drive more in line with the earlier two reports rather than Edmunds'. Chances are, however, Edmunds' report is closer to the final product we'll be getting since it's more recent and it gets to test a US model. Knowing Lexus' past records, I'm not exactly holding my breath anymore.
Old 07-15-05, 09:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
Werd. Thats what ran through my mind as well. My first impresson. But it will be a great car, hopefully a little sportier than the C-class.
Actually, Autobild - the biggest german auto magazine has tested C350 on track and it was faster than 330i - again on track. So it seems to me that comparisment to C350 should be just fine

:-).
Old 07-15-05, 09:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I agree the VDIM & priority in passenger safety is wonderful, but the driver should definately be given the choice to to turn it off ( I don't want them to just tone down the VDIM, I prefer that it's either on or off ), Lexus must realize having that choice is a luxury too that they should offer , & you want to shut the autojournalists up even if >95 % of the owners won't drive the cars like they do on the test track.
Toyota will never offer that option since safety is one of the #1 priorities - you could never turn of VSC either. The fact that nobody drives these cars as they do, does not make journalists write anything better about VDIM. Who really cares? I doubt any one of us will experience VDIM when cornering on any kind of street, unless we do it on small tracks like those journalists drive their cars on.
Old 07-15-05, 09:41 AM
LexFather

Old 07-15-05, 09:42 AM
LexFather

Old 07-15-05, 09:48 AM
LexFather

Well Flame, good job newbie.

And we are expecting a Lexus to be a BMW. Lexus is Lexus. They will execute with their philosophy. I've made threads explaining Lexus trying to "zero-nize" cars, which sounds great but it isn't fun. If you want that BMW, you have to get that BMW.

In all honesty, since most here won't even track the car or autocross it, etc, in DAILY DRIVING, you won't be able to notice a difference. Its only when you push a car TO ITS LIMITS can you tell the differences between them. Cars are so good nowadays, just driving to Wal-Mart, you can't tell a thing in the drive.

Bottom Line, Lexus will sell every one it can make. In reviews it will be in the top 3, I am positive. And it may not be the 100% sportiest, but look at the interior and the quality, that other cars can't match.

The IS cannot be all things to all people. SOrry
Old 07-15-05, 10:10 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The IS cannot be all things to all people. SOrry
...which is exactly why Lexus introduced the IS in the first place--they realized one car can never be all things to all people, so they made TWO cars at the entry evel. The ES can thus focus on luxury while the IS focuses on sports, and everyone can find a Lexus with their preferred attributes.

Yet according to Edmunds' article, Lexus is now making the IS just a smaller, albeit RWD, ES, a pure luxury car with little sportiness. I just hope the pre-production car isn't indicative of the production one, or I have to believe Lexus has truly forgotten the mission that the IS should serve.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 07-15-05 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: IS350 test driven