IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 test driven

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-05, 10:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
...which is exactly why Lexus introduced the IS in the first place--they realized one car can never be all things to all people, so they made TWO cars at the entry evel. The ES can thus focus on luxury while the IS focuses on sports, and everyone can find a Lexus with their preferred attributes.

Yet according to Edmunds' article, Lexus is now making the IS just a smaller, albeit RWD, ES, a pure luxury car with little sportiness. I just hope the pre-production car isn't indicative of the production one, or I have to believe Lexus has truly forgotten the mission that the IS should serve.
WHoa whoa whoa, I seriously doubt the IS is just a RWD ES. I am sure its sportier than 90% of the cars out there. It just isn't going to be the sportiest.

But we DON'T KNOW. No one here has driven it, we have barely a review.

Lets not forget the driver in Japan, who said the IS 350 was the sportiest Toyota he might have ever driven (on the Fuji track), I think u made that thread.

We have to look at all reviews and make an opinion, not one.
IS300GE @ my.is translated the article for us. Big thanks to him.

It's really funny (or kinda sad) that Toyota thinks they did not make a good car on this one only because it drives too good to be a "typical Toyota". It's about time they wake up and make some true driver's car!

Love the article after translation. The new IS is looking very promising to overthrow the 3 this time around.

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?p...59#post3422259

Here's his translation:

The new Lexus IS (formally Altezza) was first announced in Japan on April 18th. The place is Fuji Speedway in Shizuoka. The car is equipped with either a 2.5L or 3.5L engine, containing more than 300 horsepower. Numerous reporters came to inquire about the driver's personal experience with the new car. The car was driven by a professional driver with the reporter inside.

(While an official statement was unavailable, it has been generally believed that Toyota felt that they did not make a good car with the new IS, because it differs so much from a typical Toyota.) As far as a professional driver is concerned, the current Toyota Altezza was too soft and smooth, making it unsatisfying to a professional driver. However, the new IS is different.

Although I was only riding in the passenger's seat, there isn't just one word that could sufficiently describe the experience. From the moment I left the Fuji Speedway pit at full speed, I could immediately feel the full force of the acceleration. The meter instantly shot up to 120kph and I was instantly forced back into my seat. Rushing into the first corner, the driver applied the brakes and started his sharp turn. While it was only about 70kph, I could feel the blood rushing up the left side of my head from the tremendous Gs.

Next he did lane changes. Numerous cones were set up in the middle of the road, requiring quick reflexes with the steering wheel to avoid. The car's speed stayed constant the entire time. The driver performed sharp turns consistently at 140kph, instantly tossing my body left and right. A car can’t be considered to have ran the Fuji Speedway if it didn't try to do a high speed turn around a corner at 160 kph. The car swerved greatly and during that time I thought that we would flip over and spin out. But the car held tightly to the ground and easily recovered. Then the driver accelerated the car up to 180kph. This time he fully applied the brakes− I felt as if I would fly out of my seat, but the car came to a smooth stop. After that the car was driven around the track a few more times to test out its performance and then taken to the pit.

If I could, I would have taken that car and drove it at full acceleration all the way home. In any case, I don't think there has ever been another Toyota like it. In fact, not only meets the current number one sedan today, the Honda Legend (Acura RL), I believe it most likely exceeds it.
Old 07-15-05, 10:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

. . . Yet according to Edmunds' article, Lexus is now making the IS just a smaller, albeit RWD, ES, a pure luxury car with little sportiness.
I just re-read the article & I didn't get the impression that they 're saying it's just like a RWD ES at all
They said the chassis is tenacious & concludes :
There's a great engine, a great chassis and spectacular brakes under all that electronic baby-sitting, but the VDIM system is so intrusive it's hard to tell.
Those are not the characteristics you would typically use to describe a ES, their main gripe is the inability to turn off the VDIM. They also are not happy with the steering feel, but as I ' ve said here before several times, nobody has duplicated the steering feel of BMW yet in this class & it's unlikely Lexus can.
Old 07-15-05, 10:28 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
What I say is ... wait till you ACTUALLY test drive one ... and wait till the DETAILED reviews come out.
Exactly It's funny to see some people get so worked up over one review.

Interesting about edmunds.com though. In its comparison test with the M45, GS430 and RL, edmunds stil ranked the GS430 first, even with its all so horrible VDIM
Old 07-15-05, 10:30 AM
vwong
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by biker
I wonder how many IS350s you'll see at an autocross.
Who wants to auto-x a slushbox anyway?
Old 07-15-05, 10:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Exactly It's funny to see some people get so worked up over one review.

Interesting about edmunds.com though. In its comparison test with the M45, GS430 and RL, edmunds stil ranked the GS430 first, even with its all so horrible VDIM
True, but in their ranking, they also factored in what they think most buyers in that market segment are looking for in that class - in the case of the mid-size luxury segment, a more balanced car & not necessarily the most hard-core sports sedan.

I'm sure the IS350 will still have great appeal to a lot of people despite the inability to turn off the VDIM, & in reality it's a great feature to have in emmergency/extreme situations.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-15-05 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-15-05, 10:49 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
WHoa whoa whoa, I seriously doubt the IS is just a RWD ES. I am sure its sportier than 90% of the cars out there. It just isn't going to be the sportiest.
Originally Posted by AmethySC
I just re-read the article & I didn't get the impression that they 're saying it's just like a RWD ES at all
Sorry for being a little extreme, I guess I was just a bit let down, seeing how Edmunds liked the drive of the new 3 in every way and having such a high hope from Lexus' PR saying the new IS will fully compete head-to-head with the new 3. Saying the new IS is a RWD ES however was obviously too much of an exaggeration indeed.
They also are not happy with the steering feel, but as I ' ve said here before several times, nobody has duplicated the steering feel of BMW yet in this class & it's unlikely Lexus can.
True...it's asking too much from Lexus to do something nobody else can. I guess I'll just have re-program myself into thinking of the new IS as a C-Class' competitor and not a 3's.
Old 07-15-05, 10:53 AM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

How 'bout the buying demographics Edmunds mentioned in the preview ? 30 - 45-ish ??? That doesn't bode well for *sport* in this car if it is designed for 40-something. Isn't that the age range the GS caters to ? I hope Edmunds is wrong on the age thing tho'.

Overall, there are plusses and some minuses in thie preview. I hope Lexus fixes the *bugs* in the pre-production. We all want this car to succeed so much against the 3 or the G....
Old 07-15-05, 10:58 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by vwong
Who wants to auto-x a slushbox anyway?
The same ones that X-cross FWD cars thare are not Mini Coopers.
Old 07-15-05, 11:02 AM
LexFather

Sorry for being a little extreme, I guess I was just a bit let down, seeing how Edmunds liked the drive of the new 3 in every way and having such a high hope from Lexus' PR saying the new IS will fully compete head-to-head with the new 3. Saying the new IS is a RWD ES however was obviously too much of an exaggeration indeed.True...it's asking too much from Lexus to do something nobody else can. I guess I'll just have re-program myself into thinking of the new IS as a C-Class' competitor and not a 3's.
Its still a 3 comeptitor just not as extreme. Now understand, I can scan some CAR and EVO articles where they don't like some parts of the new 3 (the mags here are scared to state these negative things).
1. THe car is just betting bigger and bigger.
2. With more electronics, the BMW feel is going more away.
3. The car is being perfected, which means its losing its character that made the 3 so great.

These are things they have stated. They like the 3 but its evolving so much, its almost not a 3 anymore.

Of course Motor Trend will state the new 3 is what everyone should drive.
Old 07-15-05, 11:22 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We've come to expect the very best from Lexus, better than anyone else, so whether it's a VDIM-off switch or replicating BMW's feel, or being sportier than 99-100% of the other cars out there, we expect sometimes too much from Lexus.

That said, Lexus' reputation is for producing things that other car companies can't.

However, you can't be perfect in every way???? The Lexus signature feel is butting heads with sporty performance a bit here---perhaps a BMW-tuned car would by more sporty, but its ride would be less comfortable....but this is no ES. The IS IS sporty, you don't need to add a spoiler to prove that (although it would be nice... )

Playing devil's advocate here, but is Lexus concerned that a VDIM-off situation would be a poor reflection on the car to the average driver? I think if as others say here, that VDIM is less intrusive on the IS and doesn't really kick on on the GS or IS except in high-speed, emergency manuvering situations, than it's ok. Part of Lexus' philosophy of the car doing more thinking for the driver.

It's worth noting that enthusiasts make a minority of the market, but are very vocal...I think the IS sure looks outwardly like a good sport sedan, and that many statements over the past few months have led us to believe that the IS is a BMW-targeting vehicle...not the burden is on the IS to deliver that.

Last edited by encore888; 07-15-05 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-15-05, 11:43 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True, but in their ranking, they also factored in what they think most buyers in that market segment are looking for in that class - in the case of the mid-size luxury segment, a more balanced car & not necessarily the most hard-core sports sedan.

I'm sure the IS350 will still have great appeal to a lot of people despite the inability to turn off the VDIM, & in reality it's a great feature to have in emmergency/extreme situations.
Agreed. Who knows how the new IS will compare to the new 3 series, but at least from the pictures, the IS interior looks top notch. Wish my GS had a ipod connector Also, a 5.6 0-60 time isn't too shabby. I cant wait to test drive a IS350 this fall.
Old 07-15-05, 11:49 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i'll take back what I've said earlier. I just remember that i test drove an Avalon Touring (or sport whatever you call it) and I was quite impressived by the sportiness feeling it gave me. If toyota can make the Avalon a bit sporty (It's a grandpa car, no offense to anyone but the car is not targeted to 30 year olds), I have NO dobut that IS350 will be a fun to drive car. It may no be as sporty as a lotus (obviously, I dont need lotus sportiness for my daily driver) but it will do what i want.
Old 07-15-05, 11:54 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whew the aluminum pedals remain. The ones in the earlier auto show pics had only plastic pedals.

Perhaps Lexus is listening to our comments after all.

Old 07-15-05, 01:03 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

. They also are not happy with the steering feel, but as I ' ve said here before several times, nobody has duplicated the steering feel of BMW yet in this class & it's unlikely Lexus can.
I agree with the steering comment. typically IMHO the Lexus steering sucks. That is the one major complaint I have with the 3 Lexus' in our family. I don't mind it in our RX330 because it is an SUV. in my moms ES I simply could care less since the whole car in general is kind of numb. On my SC I hate the steering. Anyway. I disagree that nobody can match or even surpass the BMW steering feel and feedback. I would say that nobody but BMW wants to take the chance and create it on their mainsteam cars. Lexus will not do it because it is un Lexus like. But I would bet they can and even Honda can. The steeing in the NSX by far made my BMW feel like crap if you can imagine it. The difference is Honda could take the risk in the NSX, but not in their mainstream cars for some reason. I still hope that if Lexus wants to go for a more sporty image in some of their cars that they fix the steering in those specific cars. It dodsn't matter if the car performs by the numbers if the feel is not there. Obviously I haven't driven the car either so I'm just speaking for discussion sakes. Maybe they will surprise up as it will have good steering feel and feedback? We can only hope.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 07-15-05 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-15-05, 01:18 PM
LexFather

Whew the aluminum pedals remain. The ones in the earlier auto show pics had only plastic pedals.

Perhaps Lexus is listening to our comments after all.

I also was happy to see this, looks like its been added.

Quick Reply: IS350 test driven