IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 test driven

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-05 | 01:34 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Some exhaust note(like G35c) is more fun with a sporty car

They screwed up AGAIN on this one Why is it so hard to have a VDIM "off " button
That right there is a deal breaker if I were in the market for a new car. Wow just wow, thanks for ruining a great car!!!!

Make it hidden if you have too.. make it so you have to hit a sequence of buttons with a warning screen (if nav equipped) popping up but this is ridicoulous. I would never ever ever buy a car that would limit my driving F that.
Old 07-15-05 | 01:47 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Inabj2
That right there is a deal breaker if I were in the market for a new car. Wow just wow, thanks for ruining a great car!!!!

Thank god you are not in the market!

Edmunds said that the full review will be up in few weeks, so we will just have to wait and see. Come on, i dont think it's that bad.
Old 07-15-05 | 02:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DC52E55
i'll take back what I've said earlier. I just remember that i test drove an Avalon Touring (or sport whatever you call it) and I was quite impressived by the sportiness feeling it gave me. If toyota can make the Avalon a bit sporty (It's a grandpa car, no offense to anyone but the car is not targeted to 30 year olds), I have NO dobut that IS350 will be a fun to drive car. It may no be as sporty as a lotus (obviously, I dont need lotus sportiness for my daily driver) but it will do what i want.
heh, I was reading comparo in C&D where Avalon Touring won and was actually pretty sporty, down to the almost harsh ride - it was up to par or better than Maxima in sportiness/handling and got by far best MPG in the group while being the fastest car.

It just tells you how journalists are so two-faced. I read another comparo with same cars, I dont remember what mag (MT or RT) and Avalon was called so soft that it was impossible to drive. Writer actually wrote that it was hard to keep car on the road.

Point of the story - forget what journalist writes. In most cases, they already formed their opinion long before driving the car - this is especially true of VDIM - I mean if VDIM engages in some tight bend, it means you would end up in some ditch... But hey, dont expect journalist to get it...
Old 07-15-05 | 02:51 PM
tigmd99
Racer

I have heard that VDIM-GS430 can beat GS300 AWD in handling around a wet track! Therefore, it's surprising to hear how intrusive VDIM is in some reviews of GS430.
Old 07-15-05 | 02:54 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tigmd99
I have heard that VDIM-GS430 can beat GS300 AWD in handling around a wet track! Therefore, it's surprising to hear how intrusive VDIM is in some reviews of GS430.
I guess it's "intrusive" as in "I wanna drift and this thing isn't letting me dammit!!"
Old 07-15-05 | 03:01 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Personally, i think that this car looks GREAT...a lot better than the new BMW 3-series (more edgy & aggressive) and Infiniti G35. I love all the improvements over the previous design...more room, better interior, awesome engine, ML audio, etc.. It's just too damn bad that i don't have room in my bank account for one. Time to go to a Toyota dealership to get a Corrolla...damn fuel prices!!

Maybe i can get my gf to buy one...and live vicariously through her.
Old 07-15-05 | 03:09 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

I wanna test drive the car already and see some comparos.
Old 07-15-05 | 03:11 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

I still think the new 3 looks better....in pictures at least. The IS side profile still has to grow on me because it looks very scion tcish. But a 4 door. The new IS design is a huge improvement over the current one though.
Old 07-15-05 | 03:22 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Inside Line will run a full test on a 2006 IS 350 in about two weeks. Stay tuned.
Whoa just noticed the last line of the review. Does a FULL test mean that Edmunds will be supplied with a PRODUCTION car for testing? If so, Lexus had better come up with some super tuning in the coming two weeks to please those guys. They've already given you hints to what it's gonna take to make them write some raving reviews.
Old 07-15-05 | 04:32 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Whoa just noticed the last line of the review. Does a FULL test mean that Edmunds will be supplied with a PRODUCTION car for testing? If so, Lexus had better come up with some super tuning in the coming two weeks to please those guys. They've already given you hints to what it's gonna take to make them write some raving reviews.
Full test probably means timed performance measures, stereo evaluation, and other stuff.

Perhaps C&D, R&T, and MT are testing the IS as we speak? I can't imagine Toyota giving test versions just to Edmunds.
Old 07-15-05 | 04:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I guess it's "intrusive" as in "I wanna drift and this thing isn't letting me dammit!!"
german sport channel - DSF - has an decent car show, where they review cars, etc. They even have their little track they use for track testing cars. Usually drivers are ex DTM racers. Once you see that show, it is quite easy to understand why journalist might complain about VDIM. I mean it is series of tight curves that they... jump over ... there is no way VDIM would let you do everything they do on that track. On their track, M3's tires are mostly in air and they slide through half corners and jump other half... They also often run out of the track and crash their test cars nicely.

Now if I can understand them not liking VDIM, why cant they understand that average joe (and 99.9999999999% of us) will never even dream of doing what they do? Even on track, unless you are an professional driver you would never come to the point of feeling comfortable doing what they do.
Old 07-15-05 | 04:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrock65
Full test probably means timed performance measures, stereo evaluation, and other stuff.

Perhaps C&D, R&T, and MT are testing the IS as we speak? I can't imagine Toyota giving test versions just to Edmunds.
usually these kind of tests are done months before blackout date, so mags can prepare everything... so you bet all of them are testing cars as we speak...lucky f0ckers!!!
Old 07-15-05 | 04:58 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Default Vdim

So i guess everyone here will be #1) buying a IS and #2) taking it to the track to ride it 10/10th eh?

If not, don't sweat VDIM.

Besides, there are / have always been ways to defeat Toyco's track control, albeit undocumented.

Anyhow, i'm very impressed with the review and how Lexus has stepped up to the plate in performance (power/drivetrain wise) without sacrificing everything that defines a Lexus: quietness/reliability/value. Looking forward to more press!
Old 07-15-05 | 05:00 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
On their track, M3's tires are mostly in air and they slide through half corners and jump other half...
You mean like this?

OK so that one was an IS250 with no VDIM , but this IS350 with VDIM came pretty close too:
Perhaps VDIM isn't as intrusive is toned down a bit after all.
They also often run out of the track and crash their test cars nicely.
Err...define "crashing a car nicely" please.

I actually prefer VDIM to save me from "crashing nicely", you know.
Old 07-15-05 | 06:55 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

The IS 350 will feature a revised,more aggressive version,of the VDIM stability control system found in the new GS.

The system is programmed to allow the driver to explore the outer edges of the vehicle's limits of adhesion before it employs nearly invisible corrections via braking, steering and throttle control.

Without even driving the vehicle, it appears some have already decided that the VDIM is too intrusive and won't buy it based on a review.

I'm going to wait until I can actually drive one for myself.

Quick Reply: IS350 test driven