IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 test driven

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-05, 06:44 PM
flame
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 test driven

Newbie around here. Though this may get me off to a good start. Here is the link.
Old 07-14-05, 06:55 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

The V6 in the IS 250 displaces 2.5 liters. Lexus rates it at 204 horsepower at 6,400 rpm with the 185 pound-feet of peak torque at 4,800 rpm using the SAE's latest rating regimen. An expansion in bore and stroke turns that engine into the 3.5-liter that powers the IS 350. It's rated at an impressive 306 hp at 6,400 rpm and a chunky 277 lb-ft of torque at 4,800 rpm.
Slightly different from the official Canadian specs. at Lexus.ca
Lexus claims the IS 350 will rip to 60 mph in just 5.6 seconds and it's easy to believe because the engine produces gushers of thrust in near silence. This is an engine that delivers power seamlessly — there's no point where the VVT-i "kicks in" or the torque drops off.
0-60 sounds reasonable for a 6 speed auto.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-14-05 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-14-05, 06:58 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

the IS 350 with the performance package is an undeniable performance car. There's no discernable exhaust note, but the IS 350 builds speed easily, the chassis is tenacious, and if there isn't going to be a manual transmission around, at least the paddles add some involvement to the driving experience.
Some exhaust note(like G35c) is more fun with a sporty car
The biggest downer, however, is the inability to disarm the VDIM system, which mutes the sedan's performance long before the limits of its chassis and its optional 18-inch summer-spec tires are reached (17-inch all-weather tires are standard). There's a great engine, a great chassis and spectacular brakes under all that electronic baby-sitting, but the VDIM system is so intrusive it's hard to tell. We expressed a similar complaint about the GS 430.

A VDIM "Off" button would make this a much better sport sedan.
They screwed up AGAIN on this one Why is it so hard to have a VDIM "off " button

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-14-05 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-14-05, 07:18 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Edited: I dont think i will have problem of not being able to turn off the VDIM and for ehxaust note, you can always get a aftermarket one

Last edited by DC52E55; 07-15-05 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-14-05, 07:32 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

So they like the 350, however there is still a lot of room for improvement. Manual tranny, VDIM(why is Lexus NOT listening?? or I should say reacting??), slow reacting auto, and other things. The 250 is a cruiser??? A floater?? Thats not a positive thing to see when talking about performance sedans.

On the plus side, acceleration seems to not be a problem, luxury as usual, and handling that could rival the BMW.

I was always afraid that the new IS was going to be to Lexus cruiser like, and not as hard edged as it should be. But, this is just the first test out of a long line of others(this being more of a preview than review).

Still really excited about this car.
Old 07-14-05, 07:37 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Just based on this review alone, the new IS seems more suited to be a C class competitor than a 3 series competitor . . .
Old 07-14-05, 07:45 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Oh my bad. WELCOME Flame!!! Thanks for the review.
Old 07-14-05, 07:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Just based on this review alone, the new IS seems more suited to be a C class competitor than a 3 series competitor . . .

Werd. Thats what ran through my mind as well. My first impresson. But it will be a great car, hopefully a little sportier than the C-class.

Last edited by magneto112; 07-14-05 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-14-05, 08:26 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Anyone notice any differences in the design of the car in the pictures shown on the Edmunds review compared to what we've been seeing so far. I noticed the engine covers are different.

What I had seen:
http://www.fast-autos.net/lexus/is35016.jpg

What the Edmunds review shows:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...lexus&model=is

Maybe one is a 2.5 liter and the other is a 3.5.
Old 07-14-05, 08:32 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AmethySC

may be they are aiming for both! i hope they dont miss both tho. I am quite disappointed after reading the review, to be honest.
Old 07-14-05, 08:37 PM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

C'mon Lexus! Why neuter the full capability of this great car with a full-time electronic nanny?!? We're all adults here and would like to at least have the option of turning it off! Is that so hard? At least do it so it can't be pointed out as a negative by the car mags! I realize that 95% of people won't use the car's handling capability to the fullest (heck, I don't either), but perception in the enthusiast community is key. When you're trying to create a more sporty image, a full-time electronic nanny doesn't help. Like the GS, it sounds like the chassis is capable of sooo much more than what VDIM will allow.

That being said, I think the IS still has the ingredients to be a great success. But based on this review, its questionable whether it can sway any hard core BMW buyers from jumping ship...
Old 07-14-05, 08:52 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty dissapointed.... I think Lexus completely missed it with this one. If they were gonna make this car so traditionally "Lexus" when it comes to the handling, steering feedback, edginess, etc.... i do not think they should've been so vocal in their pursuit to dethrown the 3-series. The 3-series is considering the benchmark in the sport-sedan category for its fun-to-drive factor and willingness to be easily tossed around with predictable handling. That and they have excellent responsive transmissions. This IS is going to make a wonderful luxury car... it has a beautiful interior, great 3.5L engine and tons of luxury features... but its not gonna have the performance edge the BMW does. I think people would forgive the numb-feeling steering if only they'd give u the option to turn VDIM off.

I can't believe lexus was so bold in their marketing... they even introduced it simultaneously as the 3-series was being introduced. I believe Infiniti is doing a much better job of going after BMW. There's nothing wrong with how Lexus makes cars, they're some of the best in the world... I just don't think they should've started bragging about a 3-series-beater when they don't seem to fully comprehend what makes the 3 such an appealing SPORT sedan.

LEXUS, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, PLEASE INVENT THE VDIM "OFF" BUTTON!!!!
Old 07-14-05, 09:07 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds basically like a smaller GS. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but the reviewer certainly thinks it could use more sport.

Any idea why the power ratings are less than the Canadian version (310hp/280 torque)? Emissions perhaps?
Old 07-14-05, 09:24 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Well, this review is quickly making its rounds around forums everywhere. A very highly anticipated car, and by the looks of it so far, every other forum is in love with this review. I guess us CLers are a tough crowd to please. Most expect the IS to KILL the 3-series in every way possible(which from the impression I get doesnt but still a wonderful car), but once again, everyone seems to be drawn in by the total package. One thing that was pointed out on another forum was the VDIM. Some dont like it, while others dont really care cause most wont push the car to those limits anyway.

Remember this is only a first drive. A preview. Better reviews are coming. I have faith that this wil be more than an outstanding car.
Old 07-14-05, 10:12 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by magneto112
Well, this review is quickly making its rounds around forums everywhere. A very highly anticipated car, and by the looks of it so far, every other forum is in love with this review. I guess us CLers are a tough crowd to please. Most expect the IS to KILL the 3-series in every way possible(which from the impression I get doesnt but still a wonderful car), but once again, everyone seems to be drawn in by the total package. One thing that was pointed out on another forum was the VDIM. Some dont like it, while others dont really care cause most wont push the car to those limits anyway.

Remember this is only a first drive. A preview. Better reviews are coming. I have faith that this wil be more than an outstanding car.
Which forums? The posters at the Edmunds forum seem pretty disappointed in general.

It is a pre-production model though. If enough reviewers ***** about the "nannies", maybe they'll tone it down.

Quick Reply: IS350 test driven