IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car Connection drives the new IS

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-05, 02:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenscap
flipside909 - Since you seem to know quite a bit about the new IS, I have two questions for you. 1.) Do you have any confirmation as to whether the taillights are in fact LED (Lexus says it does in the Geneva press release but the photos sure don't look like it) and 2.) Do you know anything concrete about a coupe (non-convertible)?

If the answer is no, do you think you'll get more information at your upcoming preview? I've got a deposit on the new IS and I'm dying to know. Thanks!
1) I don't have any confirmation on the taillights. I'd like to know this myself. I wouldn't be surprised to see LED's making it to the tails since this type of lighting is cheaper, brighter and longer lasting than a regular bulb.

2) Nothing is concrete, our sources hinted a hardtop convertible and sport wagon back in December. Sky is the limit at this point.
Old 07-18-05, 03:01 PM
Ratman009
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default further note

Flipside,

Of greater importance to know (not to downplay the importance of knowing if the car has LED tail lights or not ), at least for me, would be if you have gotten any more concrete evidence as far as vehlcle pricing is concerned, or what the final options list is going to be. Estimated MPG for the cars, etc. When the 350 will start arriving at dealer lots (or when they will have a test mule to drive). Also, do you know if customers will have the ability to order cars to their specs right off the bat (especially if you have put a deposit down on the car) or will be stuck with taking whatever Lexus decides to ship to the dealerships?
Old 07-18-05, 03:04 PM
Ratman009
Driver

Default Has anyone seen the trunk on this car yet?

Or gotten to sit in the back seat? As long as it is as big as the new E90 3 series I'll be set.
Old 07-18-05, 03:17 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratman009
Or gotten to sit in the back seat? As long as it is as big as the new E90 3 series I'll be set.
According to the article :
The added inches on the new IS have largely gone into the rear seat. There's more room than before - and definitely more than in a 3-Series - but rear passengers aren't going to stretch out luxuriantly.
Didn't specify whether it's the E90 3 series, but if it's definitely more room than even the previous 3, then it should at least be close to the E90, if not better . . .
Old 07-18-05, 03:52 PM
cressler
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Overall a very good review, but the base price of $35k is simply too high and nowhere "close to the original IS" as said in the Geneva show. I just hope Lexus doesn't price the new IS out of the market.
I am guessing that 35k from the article is for the IS350 and not the 250. 35k base is about what most of us have figured for the 350 and seems to make sense. It would make almost no sense for Lexus to put the 250 at that price range since it is a great deal more then the base price of the 325i that they are aiming to compete with. Figure 35k as a base for the IS350 and a loaded car at around 40-41k based on these numbers and the available options.
Old 07-18-05, 03:56 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratman009
Flipside,

Of greater importance to know (not to downplay the importance of knowing if the car has LED tail lights or not ), at least for me, would be if you have gotten any more concrete evidence as far as vehlcle pricing is concerned, or what the final options list is going to be. Estimated MPG for the cars, etc. When the 350 will start arriving at dealer lots (or when they will have a test mule to drive). Also, do you know if customers will have the ability to order cars to their specs right off the bat (especially if you have put a deposit down on the car) or will be stuck with taking whatever Lexus decides to ship to the dealerships?
The only info that's been passed down that I can safely confirm, there is already a printed manifest of what's being delivered to the ports. All dealerships should have this information by now...it's a mixture of colors and models IS350/IS250 manual, auto and awd versions. You can certainly special order a car granted you wait the minimum 3 months for it to come out. You can order it now but your choice will be limited to color and either IS350 or 250 initially. As the car becomes more available, you will have a better choice obviously.
Old 07-18-05, 07:12 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
p.s. non-nav interior looks nice as well, i wish there was an better pic (close-up) but it looks nice..
I enlarged the photo & sharpened the detail a little, still blurry but you can see that there is purplish blue hue in the Non-Nav area that matches the same purple/blue hue on the instrument cluster. Also the clock keeps switching from left side to right side. lol. I also see Lexus logo on radio.

Old 07-18-05, 07:41 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts

Great Article, thanks for this link, I have to say this car looks great in red.

Article says:

"The 250 is quick and nimble, but the 350 positively pushes you back into your seat as you blast down the straights. And the car flawlessly tracks the line as it races around the sweeping back corner, known as Turn 9"

pushes you back in your seat, oh yeah..baby
Old 07-18-05, 07:48 PM
LexFather

http://www.thecarconnection.co....html

Old 07-18-05, 07:48 PM
LexFather

Old 07-18-05, 09:01 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw a Cypress Pearl 3rd gen GS the other day and it was beautiful...the new IS in the same color looks just as nice. It's not the color for everyone and every locale, but it's exquisite in its own way.

And--wow 1,300 views after I posted this article just yesterday! The interest in this car is...phenomenal!
Old 07-19-05, 11:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
According to the article :

Didn't specify whether it's the E90 3 series, but if it's definitely more room than even the previous 3, then it should at least be close to the E90, if not better . . .
I am sure they meant E90, I dont see why would they be reffering to old 3 series anymore?

Car is looking better and better every day...
Old 07-19-05, 01:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
Great Article, thanks for this link, I have to say this car looks great in red.

Article says:

"The 250 is quick and nimble, but the 350 positively pushes you back into your seat as you blast down the straights. And the car flawlessly tracks the line as it races around the sweeping back corner, known as Turn 9"

pushes you back in your seat, oh yeah..baby
heh, I do remember that at Tokyo auto show, there were some TRD SC's for 2.5l and 3.0 GR series, I wonder if we will see some for 3.5l as well, that would be awesome :-).

I do like how base interior looks like, it does not look cheap at all - it looks pretty sophisticated if anything...
Old 07-19-05, 02:27 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice. Keep these reviews coming!!!

The more I see pics the more and more I love it.

I wonder if we will see some sort of spoiler.

Last edited by magneto112; 07-19-05 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-19-05, 04:18 PM
LexFather

PRetty decent side bolstering. What an interior! Looks good because that is where I SIT AND SPEND MY TIME!!! I don't sit on the hood or on the roof. I cannot stand crappy interiors.

Quick Reply: Car Connection drives the new IS