IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is350/250 Hp (Official, IS 250=204hp, IS 350=306hp)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 04:35 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I think honest truth is that Lexus has upped the game considerably, and if you are an admirer or just a person looking for a good car, you really will have plenty of awesome options in Lexus stable come mid 2006. Even now, I am torn between awesome RX400h and what is looking like really great IS220d, both that can be squezed under my budget.

(p.s. when I looked 3 yrs ago, I didnt not find any Lexus that I would want to spend a whole lot of money at)
I very much agree. I like that Lexus is starting to offer those of use that like more sporty cars some choice. IMHO though, they should seperate the cars more. You already have the great LS430 for those that want the ultimate luxury cruiser. While the new GS is a huge step in the right direction, I wish they made it more sporty. Same situation with the ES330. If you want an entry level luxury car get the ES330. They should make the IS350 the real deal entry level sports sedan. Give us the choice to either to luxury or sporty. Right now Lexus' sporty cars are still not sporty enough for many. It seems like they are in between.
Old 07-20-05, 06:28 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Even the auto they claim 6.3 seconds. But yes, 0.4 second difference between automatics (IS350 and 330 auto) is still a pretty good margine.
Actually, according to TCC's review, the IS350 gets from 0 to 60mph in 5.6secs, making the margin to the 330i auto 0.7sec, not just 0.4sec.
Old 07-20-05, 06:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Let's wait til they test them head to head under similar conditions before you can really compare their 0-60 times etc.
It's unlikely that the mags will compare an auto 330i with the auto IS350 though, I think most of them will compare it to the 6 speed manual 330i, which was tested at 5.6 sec. 0-60 ( it's best tested time so far).
Old 07-20-05, 07:11 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Let's wait til they test them head to head under similar conditions before you can really compare their 0-60 times etc.
It's unlikely that the mags will compare an auto 330i with the auto IS350 though, I think most of them will compare it to the 6 speed manual 330i, which was tested at 5.6 sec. 0-60 ( it's best tested time so far).
I agree, we have to wait for the head to head test. I still think the IS350 will over all have better performance numbers though. Something to keep in mind is that although a manual BMW to auto Lexus comparison is not exactly apples to apples, those people that actually care about 0-60 performance and 1/4 mile times more than likely would choose the manual. Those people that would choose an automatic BMW simply couldn't care less. For the Lexus, we have no choice. I for one would choose a manual IS350 given the choice. That would be a great combination. Personally, I think of the cars in its class, the BMW 330 and IS350 will be the two going head to head for first in most tests. The Audi A4 and Infiniti G35 will probably fare below these two cars. Once the 3 Series coupe comes out it will up the bar a bit though. Hopefully Lexus will follow with a real hard top IS coupe.
Old 07-20-05, 12:17 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No mention on that site of DVD-Audio or SuperAudio CD, but how else would they be intending to include true surround sound formats on the ML system? What about the standard pioneer system... is it still surround sound, or just 2-channel?
Old 07-20-05, 08:16 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

306 is not to shabby. Wish that it could be more. Definately think that I'm going to get one.
Old 07-20-05, 11:16 PM
revster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Threxx
No mention on that site of DVD-Audio or SuperAudio CD, but how else would they be intending to include true surround sound formats on the ML system? What about the standard pioneer system... is it still surround sound, or just 2-channel?
"...this versatile system can play most formats, including 2-channel stereo, 2-channel surround sound, Dolby® Digital 5.1 [8], and DTS 5.1. It even plays MP3/Windows Media® files."

It's not a hi-resolution format like DVD-A or SACD, but DD and DTS are bona fide surround sound formats.
Old 07-21-05, 02:20 PM
DELTEC1
Driver School Candidate

Default 306bhp!

I received an email from Lexus today with the official figures on the IS350 and it says 306bhp. I guess I was hoping that "over 300hp" meant more than barely over. Here is more info:

http://www.lexus.com/2006is_preview/...05:TPE:Preview
Old 07-21-05, 02:37 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by DELTEC1
I received an email from Lexus today with the official figures on the IS350 and it says 306bhp. I guess I was hoping that "over 300hp" meant more than barely over. Here is more info:

http://www.lexus.com/2006is_preview/...05:TPE:Preview
Repost:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171308
Old 07-21-05, 02:44 PM
TMQ
Rookie

Edmunds' First Drive of the IS:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106455

I'm not too concerned about 0-60 time, but more interested in how the car will handle. Edmunds said: "The IS 250 cruises along freeways like the luxury car it is. The ride is controlled but soft. On twisting roads it sort of wafts along never doing anything that could upset the passenger cabin extensively. Exciting? Not really. But it is comfortable, reassuring and competent. Plus, the manual transmission in the preproduction machine we sampled shifted with long throws and hazily defined gates. Lexus says it will be better in production models." Let's hope the production vehicle is better that what's described here.

About 350: "Still, there's so much technology aboard the IS 350, the driver is too insulated from the driving. The electronic throttle's response isn't as crisp as we would like, the transmission takes too long to respond to the paddle shifters and the steering is precise and quick, but hardly communicative. It's enough to make you miss the old IS 300's nervy, adolescent edge."

I guess we'll wait until Oct. to experience for ourselves. It would be interesting to see it in a comparison test by the C/D folks.
Old 07-21-05, 04:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TMQ
Edmunds' First Drive of the IS:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106455

I'm not too concerned about 0-60 time, but more interested in how the car will handle. Edmunds said: "The IS 250 cruises along freeways like the luxury car it is. The ride is controlled but soft. On twisting roads it sort of wafts along never doing anything that could upset the passenger cabin extensively. Exciting? Not really. But it is comfortable, reassuring and competent. Plus, the manual transmission in the preproduction machine we sampled shifted with long throws and hazily defined gates. Lexus says it will be better in production models." Let's hope the production vehicle is better that what's described here.

About 350: "Still, there's so much technology aboard the IS 350, the driver is too insulated from the driving. The electronic throttle's response isn't as crisp as we would like, the transmission takes too long to respond to the paddle shifters and the steering is precise and quick, but hardly communicative. It's enough to make you miss the old IS 300's nervy, adolescent edge."

I guess we'll wait until Oct. to experience for ourselves. It would be interesting to see it in a comparison test by the C/D folks.
yea, we heard it before. Interesting that you chose to point out only 2 negative points of 2 page review... Yet, we also read other reviews that mentioned othewise... How curious... It seems that everyone will find something for themselves in new IS, one way or another
Old 07-23-05, 12:41 PM
TMQ
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
yea, we heard it before. Interesting that you chose to point out only 2 negative points of 2 page review... Yet, we also read other reviews that mentioned othewise... How curious... It seems that everyone will find something for themselves in new IS, one way or another
I used to think Edmunds is rarely critical of anything, so was a bit surprised to read what they said. Lexus' other strong points probably don't need any repetition here. Anyway, for me the HP isn't that big of a deal (whether the 250 is short of what people have expected). I'm interested in the handling and the 6sp.
Old 07-24-05, 12:08 AM
biker
Lead Lap

I noticed in one of the reviews that they state that the HP figures are derived using the latest SAE method. There's talk on another site that many current MY 05 HP figures will be lowered due to new SAE method. Like the 2.4 I4 Camry will be rated at 154HP (MY06) instead of the current 160 - with no changes - just the method of getting at the number.

So maybe this 204 number is more like 215 on the MY05 and earlier HP scale. In the end the number itself doesn't matter (well, I guess it counts for bragging rights) - it's the overall performance that matters.
Old 07-24-05, 06:08 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by biker
I noticed in one of the reviews that they state that the HP figures are derived using the latest SAE method. There's talk on another site that many current MY 05 HP figures will be lowered due to new SAE method. Like the 2.4 I4 Camry will be rated at 154HP (MY06) instead of the current 160 - with no changes - just the method of getting at the number.

So maybe this 204 number is more like 215 on the MY05 and earlier HP scale. In the end the number itself doesn't matter (well, I guess it counts for bragging rights) - it's the overall performance that matters.
You have a point there, and I think it makes sense ... otherwise I doubt Lexus would revise the power figures in a few months.

That also means the IS350 has more like 320HP under the "old" testing method, which is impressive compared to Nissan's VQ and Honda's J35.

If the new method will affect all cars, then I expect VQ35DE powered cars and the Acura RL to drop in power ratings. The G35 has already been critisized for being overrated at "300HP"

I can't wait to see the fuel economy figures for the IS350, and more in depth reviews.

EDIT: Also, I do believe that the new Camry figures are based on regular (versus premium) fuel, so that can very well make a difference in power ratings as well.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 07-24-05 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-24-05, 10:50 AM
nicoff
Rookie

In today's NYT there is an article about the new BMW 3 series. In the article they compare sales volumes of different brands. In 2004 the IS model sold just 9,972 units. That is the lowest sales figure of the vehicles compared (330i, G35, C320, A4, IS). As a comparison, the Audi A4 was second to last in sales and sold about 47k vehicles last year. The BMW was the sales leader at about 106k units.

The TCC article quotes Lexus saying that they expect that sales "will soar by 400 percent or more". So they are looking at close to 50k units sold next year. That is a huge jump in number of vehicles sold for a vehicle that is not necessarily cheap. It would be quite an achievement if they can pull it off.

Quick Reply: Is350/250 Hp (Official, IS 250=204hp, IS 350=306hp)