IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I thought the non-nav IS would still use the nav screen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-05, 07:03 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I thought the non-nav IS would still use the nav screen?

Or did I get that fact from nowhere and just remember it from the way the GS is setup? I guess it just makes more sense these days to put the nav screen in all models... but only have the nav functionality built into the menus if the nav is optioned for.

But anyhow... from this shot, it appears that is not the case afterall?
Old 07-22-05, 07:07 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is what many of us thought and hoped for because of the way they did it on the GS, but it seems the IS will not follow that route. Hopefully by actual production and release time they will change that and offer the screen in everything. My state does not offer navigation so we got no screen in our RX330, but I do regret it and wish I waited a little longer to buy one and that I bought a Nav equiped car from the mainland. For me, the ability to use that monitor for DVD video is worth it.
Old 07-22-05, 09:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Or did I get that fact from nowhere and just remember it from the way the GS is setup? I guess it just makes more sense these days to put the nav screen in all models... but only have the nav functionality built into the menus if the nav is optioned for.

But anyhow... from this shot, it appears that is not the case afterall?
I am sorry, but how does that make sense? Touch screens cost a lot of money, you can not make them standard and keep the price down. While it might make sense for GS which starts at almost 45k, I dont see how can it make sense for 30k IS... It just cant happen folks.

For me personally, non-nav version looks quite attractive as well and I would preffer not to pay for something that I wont use...
Old 07-22-05, 11:13 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am sorry, but how does that make sense? Touch screens cost a lot of money, you can not make them standard and keep the price down. While it might make sense for GS which starts at almost 45k, I dont see how can it make sense for 30k IS... It just cant happen folks.

For me personally, non-nav version looks quite attractive as well and I would preffer not to pay for something that I wont use...
Well, touch screens of that size at OEM supplier pricing are still not that expensive (I guarentee under 100 bucks per car at their cost)... then subtract the cost of the controls that they have in its place (probably at least half that), so let's say it's 50 bucks more to have the screen.

Well then you have to consider the extra money it took for R&D of the alternative console, time to rewrite the repair manuals, train techs to diagnose each model of car, train factory workers and setup seperate assembly stations depending on the equipment.

All of that to save a little bit of money and most likely make customers less impressed with the value of the car than they would be if they saw a nav screen setup without even getting the nav option.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-22-05, 01:16 PM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Well, touch screens of that size at OEM supplier pricing are still not that expensive (I guarentee under 100 bucks per car at their cost)... then subtract the cost of the controls that they have in its place (probably at least half that), so let's say it's 50 bucks more to have the screen.
I really don't think OEM cost is $100. It's got to be considerably more.
Old 07-22-05, 04:46 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyarous
I really don't think OEM cost is $100. It's got to be considerably more.
I would think it could be less or not too far from $100. If I can buy a full blown Alpine touch screen with pulse touch feedback with two AUX inputs, nav input and reverse camera input for less than $400 consumer price, I would think an automotive company buying in bulk regular touch screens is probably a lot cheaper. The Alpine monitors appear to have much greater resolutions than any OEM nav screen I've seen so far so I don't think the OEM uses the best of the best equipement either.
Old 07-22-05, 08:39 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder if Bluetooth is still supposedly standard or was that just a rumor? After all Bluetooth and screens for transferring phonebook, dialing...

...and also in Japanese IS pics I saw a 'TV' function...
Old 07-22-05, 11:51 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by enigma354
That won't happen here in the states
Old 07-23-05, 10:00 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

I wonder if Bluetooth is still supposedly standard or was that just a rumor? After all Bluetooth and screens for transferring phonebook, dialing....
on the GS, BT is avail on nav cars only. so this prob is the same for the new IS...
Old 07-23-05, 10:23 AM
dacarman
Driver School Candidate

I wonder if Bluetooth is still supposedly standard or was that just a rumor? After all Bluetooth and screens for transferring phonebook, dialing...

Look closely to the non NAV pic and notice the lack of voice dial buttons on the stearing w. And my Lexus sales man told us it only comes with NAV pkg. If true is also very disapointing considering that every other car in its class has it either as standard eqmnt or as a stand alone option.

Remember that car manufactures CEO's and other decition making people read these forums and take what is said very seriously. This car is just a few options and settings away from being a segment and sales leader so nick pick away and hope that they listen. More and more CEO's are posting comments and making changes based on what we say here.
Old 07-23-05, 11:39 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

i hope so--considering how Lexus has a tradition of more standard equipment that is often optional on other cars...
Old 07-23-05, 12:31 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts

So that means if you choose the Non-Nav then you can't get the rear back up camera, right? I have rear parking assist on my bimmer with audible beeps inside cabin to alert you, I have grown to depend on it alot, so I really want the back up camera, probably won't use the Nav that much but I HAVE to get the ML sound system so I guess I have to get the Nav.

yeah, I just noticed there are missing controls on the wheel. (enlarged pic for more detail)

Old 07-24-05, 04:37 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

i personally think the non-nav looks better. but having the nav isn't bad at all if u are willing to pay for it.
Old 07-24-05, 07:49 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

i would say that i like the nav screen because the way it looks, but i woundt buy one just because of the looks, even though i would like to have it, its not really needed for me, but i kinda do wish that even with non-navi models, the screen is just like the one one the GS. The shifter is weird looking to me, i personally like the one in the current IS and what it looks like in the Infiniti G35, short and with a rounded base, i think that would look alot more appeling
Old 07-25-05, 12:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I would think it could be less or not too far from $100. If I can buy a full blown Alpine touch screen with pulse touch feedback with two AUX inputs, nav input and reverse camera input for less than $400 consumer price, I would think an automotive company buying in bulk regular touch screens is probably a lot cheaper. The Alpine monitors appear to have much greater resolutions than any OEM nav screen I've seen so far so I don't think the OEM uses the best of the best equipement either.
who really knows, but lets assume it is $100 per unit, it is more than $30 million over the life of vehicle. Few of these things add up to considerable savings.

You will be able to get radar based parking assist on any IS (probably both front and back), as dealer added accessory.

Quick Reply: I thought the non-nav IS would still use the nav screen?