IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pricing for IS350/250 on lexus.jp

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 11:09 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pricing (Yep, the #50 is over $40K)

I own a GX470 and a TL. Here's some pricing info on the IS. I don't know where he got it from but it's pretty close to the expected figures...

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119944
Old 07-27-05, 03:55 AM
Kyosuke86
Driver

The IS350 is basically fully loaded is that correct or are there still options that will be of price concerns, because $43,000 sounds like a really good deal. Sorry if the question is..... .
Old 07-27-05, 05:51 AM
vipergtp
Driver School Candidate

Ok, here are the translated Engine and Suspension specification from http://lexus.jp/models/is/spec/spec.html

Old 07-27-05, 06:34 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, that's what they all say. They all say that they're going after the 3 and the 5. That's what Infiniti said about the G and the M, that's what Acura said about the TL and the RL, and that's what Lexus is saying about the IS and the GS. Infiniti and Acura didn't mention that they're going after the IS and GS either. Fact is, all three know that in the US, each of their cars is going to be heavily cross-shopped against its Japanese rivals.

Lexus is going more global than the other two, that's true. But it's going to take them quite a while to get to where BMW and MB are on a global level. 80% of Lexus sales are in NA, and their projected sales for Lexus cars in Japan is relatively very small.

The TL and G will handily outsell the IS in the US, the most important car market, especially for Lexus. Hardly "bit players" IMO.

BTW, Infiniti has already launched its brand in several Asian countries, and plan to launch in Europe in 2008. Haven't heard anything about a Japanese launch however.

------------

Wonder where that TL dude got those prices?
Old 07-27-05, 06:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
Yeah, that's what they all say. They all say that they're going after the 3 and the 5. That's what Infiniti said about the G and the M, that's what Acura said about the TL and the RL, and that's what Lexus is saying about the IS and the GS. Infiniti and Acura didn't mention that they're going after the IS and GS either. Fact is, all three know that in the US, each of their cars is going to be heavily cross-shopped against its Japanese rivals.

Lexus is going more global than the other two, that's true. But it's going to take them quite a while to get to where BMW and MB are on a global level. 80% of Lexus sales are in NA, and their projected sales for Lexus cars in Japan is relatively very small.

The TL and G will handily outsell the IS in the US, the most important car market, especially for Lexus. Hardly "bit players" IMO.

BTW, Infiniti has already launched its brand in several Asian countries, and plan to launch in Europe in 2008. Haven't heard anything about a Japanese launch however.

------------

Wonder where that TL dude got those prices?

I am not going to continue to debate this but I am not sure why you so offended that Acura or Infintii is not on Lexus mind. Clearly, they are not on consumers minds as much as you think.

What I do know is, this car being a Lexus, looking on paper, what it offers, it combines the best of the other 2 Japanese brands in one car. YOu get the luxo TL interior and features with the G35 RWD handling. You get this now in one car. Add the Lexus quality and panache and dealer service, etc and its almost a no-brainer.
Old 07-27-05, 07:16 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am not going to continue to debate this but I am not sure why you so offended that Acura or Infintii is not on Lexus mind. Clearly, they are not on consumers minds as much as you think.

What I do know is, this car being a Lexus, looking on paper, what it offers, it combines the best of the other 2 Japanese brands in one car. YOu get the luxo TL interior and features with the G35 RWD handling. You get this now in one car. Add the Lexus quality and panache and dealer service, etc and its almost a no-brainer.
Not offended at all. I'm disagreeing with you. Notwithstanding the rhetoric from the 3 Japanese companies about how they're always going after the BMW 3 series, blah blah blah, they know that a lot of consumers are going to cross-shop between the Japanese makes. Sales figures of the TL and the G clearly point to the fact that they are on the consumers minds in this segment.

I'm talking about the IS segment in the US, not the Lexus brand worldwide. As a global brand, Lexus is clearly far ahead of Acura and Infiniti, so BMW and MB make natural targets.

I do agree that at least on paper and in photos, the IS350 combines the 2 strongpoints of the TL and the G35. That's why I'm interested in getting one.
Old 07-27-05, 07:22 AM
LexFather

Not offended at all. I'm disagreeing with you. Notwithstanding the rhetoric from the 3 Japanese companies about how they're always going after the BMW 3 series, blah blah blah, they know that a lot of consumers are going to cross-shop between the Japanese makes. Sales figures of the TL and the G clearly point to the fact that they are on the consumers minds in this segment.

I'm talking about the IS segment in the US, not the Lexus brand worldwide. As a global brand, Lexus is clearly far ahead of Acura and Infiniti, so BMW and MB make natural targets.

I do agree that at least on paper and in photos, the IS350 combines the 2 strongpoints of the TL and the G35. That's why I'm interested in getting one.
Okay, gotach
Old 07-27-05, 07:54 AM
biker
Lead Lap

The turning radius number is wrong as well as the HP (PS) figure. Virtually the same gearing bewteen the 250 and 350. It would be interesting to see the MT gearing.

I still can't get over the piggish weight. The 350 weighs almost as much as a GS300 which is a much bigger car.

At the base IS250 6MT price listed above it would be a very tempting choice over a TSX.
Old 07-27-05, 10:58 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by biker
The turning radius number is wrong as well as the HP (PS) figure. Virtually the same gearing bewteen the 250 and 350. It would be interesting to see the MT gearing.

I still can't get over the piggish weight. The 350 weighs almost as much as a GS300 which is a much bigger car.

At the base IS250 6MT price listed above it would be a very tempting choice over a TSX.
According to the video on the preview website the IS is built "off the GS chassis but will be tuned more aggressively". This seems to imply that the frame itself is actually a GS frame. Maybe that is some of the reason behind the weight?
Old 07-27-05, 12:32 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
According to the video on the preview website the IS is built "off the GS chassis but will be tuned more aggressively". This seems to imply that the frame itself is actually a GS frame. Maybe that is some of the reason behind the weight?
Yes, it is built off the GS chassis, just like the previous-gen IS was built off the previous-gen GS chassis. The previous gens also shared their brakes as well, I think. I think they share more in common this time than before though.

They just shortened the chassis, probably stiffened it up a bit, didn't dampen the subframes quite as much, and set it loose.

See, this is why I think the IS is a class above something like the TL or G35. The IS was made taking a 45-55k dollar car's chassis and then shrinking it a bit. The TL and G35 were made using the Accord and Altima's chassis. So with the IS it's based off a nicer car, and with the TL and G35 it's based off a cheaper car.
Old 07-27-05, 01:06 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
The TL and G35 were made using the Accord and Altima's chassis. So with the IS it's based off a nicer car, and with the TL and G35 it's based off a cheaper car.
You're right about the TL, but wrong about the G35. The G35 and the Altima are based on completely different platforms.

The 2003 G35 brought a unique platform to the NA market, the Front-Midship platform. Later, modified versions of that platform were adopted by the 350Z, FX, and now the M.

A new Supra is rumored to be built off the GS/IS platform. That would be quite a nice *** car, but again, just a rumor.
Old 07-27-05, 01:26 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Yes, it is built off the GS chassis, just like the previous-gen IS was built off the previous-gen GS chassis. The previous gens also shared their brakes as well, I think. I think they share more in common this time than before though.

They just shortened the chassis, probably stiffened it up a bit, didn't dampen the subframes quite as much, and set it loose.

See, this is why I think the IS is a class above something like the TL or G35. The IS was made taking a 45-55k dollar car's chassis and then shrinking it a bit. The TL and G35 were made using the Accord and Altima's chassis. So with the IS it's based off a nicer car, and with the TL and G35 it's based off a cheaper car.
Ah - Perception in the eye of the beholder. From the tone of your words, you imply that the IS is better because it was formulated off a heavier chassis. This logic is 180-degrees from what most perfromance-oriented people would want (a lighter chassis). The bottom line is that the original base of these cars is insignificant in the final product. They each perfrom well (no matter their heritage/lineage). There are pluses and minuses to each point of view. Just because it comes form the GS chassis did NOT make the previous model IS competitive. The re-work of the exterior and interior WILL make the new IS more popular (as long as Lexus does not price itself out of the market it is trying to attack). Specifically, the TL and G35s are 270HP and 290HP respecitvely. Sizes are nearly identical to the new IS but those cars can be acquired with NAVI for as little as $33K. The new IS is going after TAHT market and therefore, they will need to address this price point (not the higher BMW price point). The ENTIRE reason that Acura and Infiniti are taking market share away from BMW is BECAUSE of the VALUE of the offer (Just as good or better than the 330 and about $10K less). Looks like Lexus is going to exceed that "sweet spot" pricing of $35K by at LEAST $5K for nearly an identical car (in some people's view). Will some pay more for the Lex? Certainly. However, "some" is not what Lex is aiming at with this target. IMHO the new IS350 would need to come in at a price point of NO MORE than $39K fully loaded since that's the same point as their compeititors Acura and Inifiiniti... Just an "educated" opinion from a current Acura TL/Lexus GX470 owner.
Old 07-27-05, 01:30 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

You're right about the TL, but wrong about the G35. The G35 and the Altima are based on completely different platforms.

The 2003 G35 brought a unique platform to the NA market, the Front-Midship platform. Later, modified versions of that platform were adopted by the 350Z, FX, and now the M.

A new Supra is rumored to be built off the GS/IS platform. That would be quite a nice *** car, but again, just a rumor.
The FM flatform was first used in the 2002+ Altima, I thought? Then modified to suit RWD counterparts for use with the G35 and others?
Old 07-27-05, 01:33 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bunka
Ah - Perception in the eye of the beholder. From the tone of your words, you imply that the IS is better because it was formulated off a heavier chassis. This logic is 180-degrees from what most perfromance-oriented people would want (a lighter chassis). The bottom line is that the original base of these cars is insignificant in the final product. They each perfrom well (no matter their heritage/lineage). There are pluses and minuses to each point of view. Just because it comes form the GS chassis did NOT make the previous model IS competitive. The re-work of the exterior and interior WILL make the new IS more popular (as long as Lexus does not price itself out of the market it is trying to attack). Specifically, the TL and G35s are 270HP and 290HP respecitvely. Sizes are nearly identical to the new IS but those cars can be acquired with NAVI for as little as $33K. The new IS is going after TAHT market and therefore, they will need to address this price point (not the higher BMW price point). The ENTIRE reason that Acura and Infiniti are taking market share away from BMW is BECAUSE of the VALUE of the offer (Just as good or better than the 330 and about $10K less). Looks like Lexus is going to exceed that "sweet spot" pricing of $35K by at LEAST $5K for nearly an identical car (in some people's view). Will some pay more for the Lex? Certainly. However, "some" is not what Lex is aiming at with this target. IMHO the new IS350 would need to come in at a price point of NO MORE than $39K fully loaded since that's the same point as their compeititors Acura and Inifiiniti... Just an "educated" opinion from a current Acura TL/Lexus GX470 owner.

I've got significant experience with the TL, in fact it's currently my favorite car in that segment. But in terms of solidity, rigidity, natural resonant frequencies, etc, I just can't imagine the GS chassis being anything but a night and day improvement over a Honda Accord chassis (as nice of a chassis as the Accord does have... much better than the Camry's IMO). Yeah, it seems to be heavier, but that's certainly not the only consideration and I doubt it's that significant of a difference. Yes it appears that the IS will outweigh the TL pretty noticably, but I doubt that's all to blame on the chassis.
Old 07-27-05, 01:45 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

The FM flatform was first used in the 2002+ Altima, I thought? Then modified to suit RWD counterparts for use with the G35 and others?
Naa, the Altima uses the FFL platform. This platform is used by cars such as the Maxima and the Murano.

Quick Reply: Pricing for IS350/250 on lexus.jp