IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pricing for IS350/250 on lexus.jp

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-05, 02:00 PM
Agni88
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I would not consider the IS350 a worthy bargain if it doesn't come with navi/lev, etc for under 40k.

How do they expect to steal sales from the 3-series if they're priced above it? Lexus has always given consumers more for less $ than BMW. Not a good time to change that when you're targeting 45k sales a year (just under what the 3-series sells, I think)

The IS250 with no optional equipment was specifically stated by lexus to be targeted to be under 30k including destination charges - if they successfully do that then I really can't see a well-equipped IS350 being any more than 40k.
The 3 series sales are like 250,000 a year! not near 40k
Old 07-27-05, 02:00 PM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

Cool Shark Finned 2005 IS

Does anyone on this post know about the shark finned satellite antennae on the pix below. I have seen pix of the japanese' IS' having them, but no fin on the US pix or websites. I would like that feature/look on my IS when I purchase.
Attached Thumbnails Pricing for IS350/250 on lexus.jp-is-shark-finned.jpg  
Old 07-27-05, 02:11 PM
ny888
Pole Position

The shark fin is for satellite radio so I'm guessing if you don't order the option that the car will not have it.
Old 07-27-05, 04:06 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Agni88
The 3 series sales are like 250,000 a year! not near 40k
Your point is well taken (BMW 3 series far out sells the 1st gen IS300) here are sales numbers from 2004 for the US:

The Lexus IS, with sedan and wagon, posted sales of 9,972 in 2004. The BMW 3 series posted sales of 106,549 in the United States in 2004 with a convertible, coupe, wagon and sedan.

I have seen BMW owners trying to persuade Lexus owners that the 3 series is better, and I have seen Lexus owners trying to convince them that the IS is better. Both make good points since "better" means different things to different people.

I can't wait until my new IS350 shows up at the dealer.
Old 07-27-05, 07:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bunka
Ah - Perception in the eye of the beholder. From the tone of your words, you imply that the IS is better because it was formulated off a heavier chassis. This logic is 180-degrees from what most perfromance-oriented people would want (a lighter chassis). The bottom line is that the original base of these cars is insignificant in the final product. They each perfrom well (no matter their heritage/lineage). There are pluses and minuses to each point of view. Just because it comes form the GS chassis did NOT make the previous model IS competitive. The re-work of the exterior and interior WILL make the new IS more popular (as long as Lexus does not price itself out of the market it is trying to attack). Specifically, the TL and G35s are 270HP and 290HP respecitvely. Sizes are nearly identical to the new IS but those cars can be acquired with NAVI for as little as $33K. The new IS is going after TAHT market and therefore, they will need to address this price point (not the higher BMW price point). The ENTIRE reason that Acura and Infiniti are taking market share away from BMW is BECAUSE of the VALUE of the offer (Just as good or better than the 330 and about $10K less). Looks like Lexus is going to exceed that "sweet spot" pricing of $35K by at LEAST $5K for nearly an identical car (in some people's view). Will some pay more for the Lex? Certainly. However, "some" is not what Lex is aiming at with this target. IMHO the new IS350 would need to come in at a price point of NO MORE than $39K fully loaded since that's the same point as their compeititors Acura and Inifiiniti... Just an "educated" opinion from a current Acura TL/Lexus GX470 owner.

I disagree, The IS is NOT going after the TL/G35. They just happen to be in this market. The IS is squarely aimed at the 3. Notice, the AWD (G35 does offer) but 2 models, 250 and 350, something the TL and G35 don't offer. The coupe is coming soon as a high performance varient.

What many new people to Lexus don't realize or people from other brands you cannot compare Lexus with the other Japanese brands one on one all the time. You cannot just bunch Lexus together. For instance, you say that 39k is what is the max. A loaded ES 330 already hits that price. In every iteration, Lexus has continued to price the cars and SUVs for MORE MONEY. At this point, Lexus doesn't have to use the "value" proposition as much as Acura or Infintii. People now believe in the brand and are willing to pay MORE for a Lexus product to they're Japanese competitors as they feel its superior.
The new GS and M for instance, almost identical in features, the GS sells almost 1k more a month while being significantly more expensive. The RX 400h sells as many copies at 50k than the BOTH Infniti FX 35/35 sell for. The ES starts at 32k now, no longer 29k, it has never sold better. THe LS keeps moving up in price, Lexus has the
GS 430
SC 430
LX 470
LS 430
All available either standard or with options over the $60,000 price point. All sell well in its class. The SC and LX are limited production models that sell out every yea, no rebates, no $300 a month lease advertising.

Lexus is a very DESIRABLE product, Lexus now knows this, they will and can charge more.

You bring up HP, that does not make a car in the luxury class, but it sells cars to people. It doesn't. BMW hasn' t been tops in HP ratings for sometime now and they sell like crazy.

Acura/Infiniti/Lexus are not in the same boat as BMW/Benz/Audi are not in the same boat. They might all have competing models but there are reasons people will buy a 120k S600 or S55 and now an Audi W12 A8. There are reasons why people buy the class leading in sales LS 430 but won't touch an Infiniti Q45.
Old 07-27-05, 08:10 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think there's any significant difference in the price of the M and the GS, especially with the volume V6 models.

M35 w/ Tech: $48,200
GS300 w/ Navi, Levinson: $49,995
Difference: 3.5%

M35x w/ Tech: $50,700
GS300 AWD w/ Navi, Levinson: $51,465
Difference: 1.5%

M45 w/ Tech: $54,510
GS430 w/ Navi, Levinson: $58,420
Difference: 7.2%

Anyways, a loaded IS should have significantly more equipment than the G or the TL, or anything else in its class for that matter.

It's also interesting that you can get everything else on the IS that you can get on the GS, except the V8 engine. With all the other makers, the next step up will offer you more features.

In fact, what do you get on the GS other than more room? Even the trunk space, I think the IS has an advantage there.

The IS350 is in essence a "$50k" sedan in a compact body. They should charge accordingly.

Last edited by jrock65; 07-27-05 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-27-05, 08:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
I don't think there's any significant difference in the price of the M and the GS, especially with the volume V6 models.

M35 w/ Tech: $48,200
GS300 w/ Navi, Levinson: $49,995
Difference: 3.5%

M35x w/ Tech: $50,700
GS300 AWD w/ Navi, Levinson: $51,465
Difference: 1.5%

M45 w/ Tech: $54,510
GS430 w/ Navi, Levinson: $58,420
Difference: 7.2%

Anyways, a loaded IS should have significantly more equipment than the G or the TL, or anything else in its class for that matter.

It's also interesting that you can get everything else on the IS that you can get on the GS, except the V8 engine. With all the other makers, the next step up will offer you more features.

In fact, what do you get on the GS other than more room? Even the trunk space, I think the IS has an advantage there.

The IS350 is in essence a "$50k" sedan in a compact body. They should charge accordingly.
Sigh, this is about the IS but you forgot this, BASE price
M35
Base MSRP $40,640.00
280-hp 3.5-liter V6
18-inch wheels
Rosewood trim
Build & Locate

M45
Base MSRP $46,950.00
335-hp 4.5-liter V8
18-inch wheels
Rosewood trim
Build & Locate
M35 Sport
Base MSRP $43,440.00
280-hp 3.5-liter V6
Rear Active Steer
19-inch wheels
Aluminum trim
Build & Locate

M45 Sport
Base MSRP $49,750.00
335-hp 4.5-liter V8
Rear Active Steer
19-inch wheels
Aluminum trim
Build & Locate
M35x AWD
Base MSRP $43,140.00
280-hp 3.5-liter V6
18-inch wheels
Intelligent AWD
Rosewood trim
Build & Locate

LEXUS
GS 430 Base MSRP* $51,125.00
GS 300 AWD Base MSRP* $44,850.00
GS 300 Base MSRP* $42,900.00

Hmmm, seems except base M45 vs base GS 430, where there is a $6,000 price difference, they are within $2,000 from one another.
Old 07-28-05, 12:04 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jrock65
Ah, there might be the rub - what if the American "wide" body doesn't fit in the compact body.

That might be the only downfall of the IS - it's a compact. TL and G are mid sizers.
Old 07-28-05, 04:54 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biker
Ah, there might be the rub - what if the American "wide" body doesn't fit in the compact body.

That might be the only downfall of the IS - it's a compact. TL and G are mid sizers.
Well the 3-Series is of the same compact dimensions yet its compactness has never seemed to hinder its sales in the least bit. The new IS will sell in its own merits.
Old 07-28-05, 07:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by biker

The G35 and TL are out of place size wise. The 3, A4, C, IS are all very close in dimensions, I think all shorter than 180" in length. Even the Acura TSX is longer than most of those cars.

The G35/TL have sizes similar to the next class of cars up., giving people a larger car for a cheaper price.

The big thing is Europe. The 3/A4/C/IS are all sold in Europe, where compact dimensions are a plus in many cases and they do like smaller more nimble cars. Since the TL and G35 are not sold there, mostly for America, they didn't follow what the others have dones for decades.

Look at the ES 330, its huge, longer than a GS! Its not sold in Europe.
Old 07-28-05, 08:59 AM
dacarman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I disagree, The IS is NOT going after the TL/G35. They just happen to be in this market. The IS is squarely aimed at the 3. Notice, the AWD (G35 does offer) but 2 models, 250 and 350, something the TL and G35 don't offer. The coupe is coming soon as a high performance varient.

What many new people to Lexus don't realize or people from other brands you cannot compare Lexus with the other Japanese brands one on one all the time. You cannot just bunch Lexus together. For instance, you say that 39k is what is the max. A loaded ES 330 already hits that price. In every iteration, Lexus has continued to price the cars and SUVs for MORE MONEY. At this point, Lexus doesn't have to use the "value" proposition as much as Acura or Infintii. People now believe in the brand and are willing to pay MORE for a Lexus product to they're Japanese competitors as they feel its superior.
The new GS and M for instance, almost identical in features, the GS sells almost 1k more a month while being significantly more expensive. The RX 400h sells as many copies at 50k than the BOTH Infniti FX 35/35 sell for. The ES starts at 32k now, no longer 29k, it has never sold better. THe LS keeps moving up in price, Lexus has the
GS 430
SC 430
LX 470
LS 430
All available either standard or with options over the $60,000 price point. All sell well in its class. The SC and LX are limited production models that sell out every yea, no rebates, no $300 a month lease advertising.

Lexus is a very DESIRABLE product, Lexus now knows this, they will and can charge more.

You bring up HP, that does not make a car in the luxury class, but it sells cars to people. It doesn't. BMW hasn' t been tops in HP ratings for sometime now and they sell like crazy.

Acura/Infiniti/Lexus are not in the same boat as BMW/Benz/Audi are not in the same boat. They might all have competing models but there are reasons people will buy a 120k S600 or S55 and now an Audi W12 A8. There are reasons why people buy the class leading in sales LS 430 but won't touch an Infiniti Q45.
I would have to respectfully disagree with you on this. Fact is Lexus pin pointed the preview IS300 directly against the BMW 3 series and did not sell all that well as TL and G35 took more of a market share from BMW then the IS300 ever did so based on this fact alone the TL and G35 are mayor players for Lexus lofty goal of increasing sales by 300% and if the price point is close or more than BMW I don't care how good the car is it will fail. The only way to achieve this goal is to price it competitively with the TL and G35 and take a market share away from both plus some from BMW. There is a good opportunity here because the G35 is getting outdated specially the interiors and no update is coming for a while.

The reasoning behind Lexus lofty goals is that they expect that sales of the IS will be 80% IS250 both RWD and AWD and only 20% will be IS350. They are counting too much on the IS250 because they think the AWD will sell well in the winter states. This theory IMHO is wrong, more and more people are discovering that snow tires along with all the new vehicle control electronics can do as well or better than AWD in snow and the rather have the extra 102hp.

Fact is $35k for an IS250 204 HP is too much considering that you can get a fully loaded TSX with 200hp for $26k and an Audi A4 2.0t for about 29K 200hp, a base G35 280hp for about $29k, a TL with 270hp for about $33k fully loaded. I would find it hard for people to over look all these other options and get into the Lexus when the IS300 with 215HP (more HP than the IS250) could not do this task at that same price range. I think if this is the strategy they may need to regroup and rethink it again. I see at least 50% of buyers going for the IS350 in the HP hungry market we call America. And that will place it head to head with the BMW 330 and I doubt very much they will get enough market share away from BMW to achieve 300% worth of sales growth.
Old 07-28-05, 09:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dacarman
I would have to respectfully disagree with you on this. Fact is Lexus pin pointed the preview IS300 directly against the BMW 3 series and did not sell all that well as TL and G35 took more of a market share from BMW then the IS300 ever did so based on this fact alone the TL and G35 are mayor players for Lexus lofty goal of increasing sales by 300% and if the price point is close or more than BMW I don't care how good the car is it will fail. The only way to achieve this goal is to price it competitively with the TL and G35 and take a market share away from both plus some from BMW. There is a good opportunity here because the G35 is getting outdated specially the interiors and no update is coming for a while.

The reasoning behind Lexus lofty goals is that they expect that sales of the IS will be 80% IS250 both RWD and AWD and only 20% will be IS350. They are counting too much on the IS250 because they think the AWD will sell well in the winter states. This theory IMHO is wrong, more and more people are discovering that snow tires along with all the new vehicle control electronics can do as well or better than AWD in snow and the rather have the extra 102hp.

Fact is $35k for an IS250 204 HP is too much considering that you can get a fully loaded TSX with 200hp for $26k and an Audi A4 2.0t for about 29K 200hp, a base G35 280hp for about $29k, a TL with 270hp for about $33k fully loaded. I would find it hard for people to over look all these other options and get into the Lexus when the IS300 with 215HP (more HP than the IS250) could not do this task at that same price range. I think if this is the strategy they may need to regroup and rethink it again. I see at least 50% of buyers going for the IS350 in the HP hungry market we call America. And that will place it head to head with the BMW 330 and I doubt very much they will get enough market share away from BMW to achieve 300% worth of sales growth.
Hmmm, again, people will pay MORE for a Lexus than an Acura or Infiniti. They do now, they did before, they will tomorrow. So if an AWD IS is 35k, it will sell, because people feel it is still a superior product. At this point its not about "value", as the Lexus is more expensive than the Japanese competition. Its about "better'.
As for the TSX, its FWD and an I-4. The IS offers 2 more cylinders and the proper RWD. Powerplants with equal power but any powerplant with more cylinders will be smoother and quieter. Its not just about PEAK hp.
Another thing I've noticed is that many times when a new car debuts, it doesn't significantly impact sales of the competition. I don't forsee TL and G35 sales just taking a huge hit b/c of the IS. Now those other cars, will all be affected
30k Altima
30k Camry
Audi A4
Volvo S80
Nissan Maxima
30k Accord
etc etc

The IS if its priced under 30k will take some sales away from these cars and some others. People know with Lexus you get the best quality and the best dealer service, these are other factors that will make the IS a hit. The other companies cannot say that, wiht Infiniti being the closest.
People on the internet can compare slalom times and 0-60 all they want, most performance figures are things people don't use and they can change from driver to driver.
You cannot change or aruge with the fact, Lexus makes the highest quality product. And with the IS you get some sport.

You might be fairly new to Lexus. This new IS reminds me of the 2nd gen GS. The 1st gen GS missed the mark, 20k sales in 1993 and spirled down. NO V-8 was the reason. Well Lexus has NEVER missed two in a row. The 2nd gen GS came in 1998 and hit 30k sales its first three years, UNHEARD of for a Japanese luxury sport sedan. So the IS goal of 50k units is very doable. The current new, more expensive GS is on target for 36,000 units this year. Clearly a cheaper Lexus will sell more.
Old 07-28-05, 03:40 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good God I am playing with the "buid a 3" on the BMW site, you can hit 40k EASY with the 325. EASY. You can get a 330 to 45k with no issues.

The IS won't have any issues in the pricing department vs the 3. Now for the other guys, TL/G35 etc, I dont' think Lexus is worried about them anyway.
I agree...If you check off every goodie available, the 330 tops 56K
I think the IS350 pricing will look very good vs a 330
Old 08-01-05, 08:37 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AmethySC
2006 SC 430 Restyled with Added Performance

07/29/2005 Torrance, CA

Lexus announced today the 2006 SC 430 hardtop convertible gets a new look and improved performance. The revised exterior styling of the SC includes a new front grille and front bumper, new LED tail lights and a new headlamp design that includes the Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS), which helps illuminate a turn or curve as the driver steers into it.

In addition, a new six-speed sequential shift automatic transmission replaces the SC's five-speed unit for 2006, enhancing overall acceleration and fuel economy. The revised gear ratios also help lower the interior cruising noise levels. New 5-spoke 18-inch wheels with metallic gray finish give the SC 430 a more aggressive, substantial appearance.
The SC also receives four new exterior colors: Mercury Metallic, Matador Red, Chardonnay Pearl and Black Pearl. Adding to the exterior color choices is a new Camel-leather interior trim paired with a new Espresso-wood trim. The 2006 SC 430 increases in price by 2.8 percent or $1,780 over the previous model, with a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $65,355.

The Lexus SC 430 was the first retractable hardtop convertible in the premium luxury segment and is able to transform the SC 430 from a coupe into a convertible in less than 25 seconds with the push of a button.

Lexus also introduces two limited production vehicles. The 2006 ES 330 Black Diamond Edition features exclusive Black Diamond paint, black Birdseye maple wood trim, and many other distinctive touches. MSRP for this package is $600 and includes an exclusive Tumi luggage set.

For the third consecutive year, Lexus will offer the SC 430 Pebble Beach Edition. With only 500 vehicles produced for the entire United States, the 2006 Pebble Beach Edition will be a true exclusive. The distinctive features include a striking combination of Tigereye exterior paint and Camel-leather interior as well as elegant Pebble Beach emblems. The 2006 edition will also be offered with a specially commissioned Lexus Tigereye luggage set. MSRP for the 2006
SC 430 Pebble Beach package will be $2,000.

Lexus also announced a price increase on all 2006 ES 330, GX 470, and RX 330 models effective with the new model year. The MSRP for the ES 330 entry-luxury sedan will increase by 0.4 percent, or $125, to $32,300. The GX 470 mid-size luxury utility vehicle will increase by 0.7 percent, or $310, to $46,535. The popular RX 330 luxury SUV will increase by $345, a 1.0 percent change on the RX 330 front-wheel drive and 0.9 percent change on the RX 330 All-Wheel Drive, to $36,370 and $37,770 respectively. The LX 470 full-capability premium luxury utility vehicle increases by 0.4 percent, or $300, to $67,295 effective September 1, 2005. Pricing for the all-new IS 250 and IS 350 luxury sport sedans will be announced closer to its October on-sale date.

source : pressroom.toyota.com
Lexus continues to price upward, while still offering value to the Germans. TRUE value is offering a comparable product at a lesser price. Not a lesser product at a lesser price.