Search this Thread

Old 08-16-05, 04:27 AM
isdsms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.caranddriver.com/idealbb/...?topicID=67400

Questions & Answers: August 16
P: 8/16/2005 6:22:10 AM

Q) With all the electronic traction and stability controls, won't the new IS feel like it has too many electronic "nannies" when driven in a performance mode?
A) Not at all. The systems on the new IS are designed to operate smoothly and only when needed so that the handling limits can be probed without feeling like someone is trying to spoil the fun.

Q) The new IS vehicles are heavier than their predecessors? Where has the weight come from?
A) First, the new car has grown quite a bit. It's 3.5 inches longer and 3.0 inches wider. Also the body, chassis and driveline are all stronger to improve performance and cope with the greatly increased engine power of the IS 350. The new IS also features more standard equipment.

Q) Why have you dropped the limited slip differential (LSD) from the options list?
A) With the integration of sophisticated traction and stability control systems (VSC, VDIM, etc.) in the IS, we expect the demand for LSD to be minimal.

Q) What is the coefficient of drag (Cd) of the new IS?
A) The new IS Coefficient of Drag is .28 versus .29 for the outgoing model. Plus there are several measures employed under the car to improve airflow and minimize lift/drag for improved dynamics.

It's nothing new. A disappointment once again. My question is, how can the IS be just as heavy as the GS, if it's smaller?
Old 08-16-05, 05:14 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree another dissapointing Q/A session.

What kind of question is what is the drag coeff? We knew this long time ago & it's been all over the internet. I was hoping for some good q/a sessions of stuff we didn't know.
Old 08-16-05, 08:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
I agree another dissapointing Q/A session.

What kind of question is what is the drag coeff? We knew this long time ago & it's been all over the internet. I was hoping for some good q/a sessions of stuff we didn't know.
like what? :-)
I am not sure if it is much that we dont know.

As to the "heavy" IS,you have to take into calculation that it is the same essential car, just slighty smaller in all measurments. Only way for it to be lowered would be to lower the Luxury factor, which was not an option. Someone already mentioned that IS was built to GS specifications or more, it was NOT built as an cheaper car.

Anf afterall, it is few lbs heavier than G35 and 75lbs than bare 330i, with +50hp and +50tq more....
Old 08-16-05, 08:27 AM
isdsms
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
like what? :-)
I am not sure if it is much that we dont know.

As to the "heavy" IS,you have to take into calculation that it is the same essential car, just slighty smaller in all measurments. Only way for it to be lowered would be to lower the Luxury factor, which was not an option. Someone already mentioned that IS was built to GS specifications or more, it was NOT built as an cheaper car.

Anf afterall, it is few lbs heavier than G35 and 75lbs than bare 330i, with +50hp and +50tq more....
You're right... the IS is just slightly smaller. But you would think there would be at least a small difference in weight. There is practically none at all! I'm just wondering where all that extra weight comes from.
Old 08-16-05, 08:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by isdsms
You're right... the IS is just slightly smaller. But you would think there would be at least a small difference in weight. There is practically none at all! I'm just wondering where all that extra weight comes from.
thats because few extra inches of metal are very light... weight is structure, equipment, powertrain, etc, and thats all same or very similar. Only way to lower the weight would be less equipment, less airbags, less structural support, less sound proofing, etc, etc, just as old IS300 was... but it wouldnt be an real Lexus then, would it?

:-).
Old 08-16-05, 09:14 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by isdsms

It's nothing new. A disappointment once again. My question is, how can the IS be just as heavy as the GS, if it's smaller?
The new IS350 is roughly 300 lbs less than the new GS according to our Lexus product training reps.
Old 08-16-05, 09:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats because few extra inches of metal are very light... weight is structure, equipment, powertrain, etc, and thats all same or very similar. Only way to lower the weight would be less equipment, less airbags, less structural support, less sound proofing, etc, etc, just as old IS300 was... but it wouldnt be an real Lexus then, would it?

:-).
Yes, the difference between the LWB & SWB versions of the current S class is 4 in. in length , but less than 50 lb. in weight . . .
Old 08-16-05, 11:26 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

another lame answers that we already know.

but it's amazing that you can ask questions directly to the man who makes the new IS possible.
Old 08-16-05, 05:42 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts

A week between questions is too long.

i'm not concerned about the weight issue. Isn't it safer anyway for a smaller sedan to have some weight to it? And geez, it's not that heavy. I don't remember weight being an issue with the person over at IS.net that just reviewed the new IS.

This car has been thoroughly research years before it's been made by Lexus, all was taken into consideration and I'm sure the weight is exactly what it should be for this car. If I'm gonna get hit by someone I'd rather it not be in a wafer car. I want a Lexus to protect me as well as provide me with luxury & sport.
Old 08-16-05, 08:32 PM
LexFather

Smile

Well it is Lexus, so we should expect causal questions and answers.
Without a manual, LSD and with a compression ratio that makes F/I almost impossible, I worry who will buy this car. It may not help Lexus get that sporty image it wants.

Maybe the coupe will offer a manaul and then they plug it into the sedan.

Now the FUNNY thing is, I drive a manual ES 300. The manual SC 300 as well as the ES got discointinued due to slow sales. The IS 300 manual was not a great seller.

So can we BLAME Lexus for not offering a manual?

Also, trust me, with traffic, driving a manual is MADDENING. The only joy is driving 5 am or 1 am in the morning when no one else is on the roads.
Old 08-17-05, 10:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Also, trust me, with traffic, driving a manual is MADDENING. The only joy is driving 5 am or 1 am in the morning when no one else is on the roads.
When I' m driving a manual in traffic, I'm usually either talking with my passenger or listening to music & not even thinking nor very conciously aware that I'm shifting, so it usually doesn't bother me at all . . . unless for those with arthritic joints
Old 08-17-05, 11:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AmethySC
When I' m driving a manual in traffic, I'm usually either talking with my passenger or listening to music & not even thinking nor very conciously aware that I'm shifting, so it usually doesn't bother me at all . . . unless for those with arthritic joints
Atlanta traffic is 3rd worst here in the USA. It sucks. Major *****. Ask Bitkahuna, who moved to Florida
I didn't mind it 9 years ago, when I first got the car. Today, its horrific.

Maybe if the car had 280hp and was RWD like yours thought, things would be different.
Old 08-24-05, 09:59 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Q&A for August 23rd

Q) What will the new IS cost?
A) We have not yet set pricing for the new IS series ? that is usually information we announce much closer to the vehicle's on-sale date. You can expect pricing will represent the best value in the segment.

Q) What other new IS models do you have planned?
A) We're currently investigating additional derivatives of the new IS.

Q) Will you offer a V8-powered model (like the IS 430 project car)?
A) Although we plan continual performance improvements and upgrades in the IS lineup, we're not able to comment on specific future model activity at this time.

Q) Many existing vehicles have shown an "on-paper" horsepower loss under the new SAE engine power test standard (J1349). Were the new IS engines tested under this new standard?
A) Yes, both engines were tested under the new protocol.

Now this was a lame week. Three of the four questions were not directly answered. All that we know is that the IS350 could have been 320+ hp as predicted before the new SAE standards...
Old 08-24-05, 10:02 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Q) What will the new IS cost?
A) We have not yet set pricing for the new IS series ? that is usually information we announce much closer to the vehicle's on-sale date. You can expect pricing will represent the best value in the segment.

Q) What other new IS models do you have planned?
A) We're currently investigating additional derivatives of the new IS.

Q) Will you offer a V8-powered model (like the IS 430 project car)?
A) Although we plan continual performance improvements and upgrades in the IS lineup, we're not able to comment on specific future model activity at this time.

Q) Many existing vehicles have shown an "on-paper" horsepower loss under the new SAE engine power test standard (J1349). Were the new IS engines tested under this new standard?
A) Yes, both engines were tested under the new protocol.

Now this was a lame week. Three of the four questions were not directly answered. All that we know is that the IS350 could have been 320+ hp as predicted before the new SAE standards...

They are NOT helping their IMAGE with these LAME answers. This is BORING. C'mon LEXUS, WE KNOW you are capable of doing better!!!

My GOD, clearly, tons of the people they WANT is checking out this innovative feature but so far, I probably is just turning people off.
Old 08-24-05, 10:08 AM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

by saying that they can't comment on a V8 IS means that they are developing it

i want them to hurry up the process of a coupe/convert/targa IS

Quick Reply: Ask the Lexus Expert - caranddriver.com