IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oct Car & Driver Comparison (0-60 in 5.1 seconds)#1 330, #2 IS 350// Scans pg 6

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-05, 12:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pbm317
I've been a long time Toyota/Lexus advocate. But when the time came for me to get a sports sedan, the main factor for me was the manual transmission, I'm part of a dying breed I know. After hearing that the IS350 wouldn't have a manual, I was devastated. I went ahead and got the 06 330i with stick and haven't really looked back. The car is, to me, a great balance of sport and luxury. I love the feeling of rowing through the gears. If Lexus does decide to offer a manual with the IS350 in the future, I'm sure I'll give it a look, after my free maintenance runs out. I appreciate the IS350 for what it is, and I feel that it would be a great car, hopefully my gf would get one. But for myself, the manual transmission was the deal clincher.
Good story. Got pics of the car? I honestly love how the sedan looks, after seeing in person.
Old 08-28-05, 12:30 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish Lexus gives us an on/off switch for VDIM in the IS so I can be all that I can be. While they are at it, disable the ABS so I can pump my own brake; steer without power assist, raise and lower the window by hand. Oh hell, forget the push start button--I will crank start the car from the engine bay.
Old 08-28-05, 02:50 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default curious

does anyone have pics of some funny looking trolls driving 330i bmw
Old 08-28-05, 03:31 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

The sad thing about the new 3 series is it's just plain ugly to look at both inside & out. The E46 still has nice lines & curvy lines inside the cabin, the E46 exterior is still fresh looking body lines & the publc loved it, look at all the E46's on the road almost at every corner. Hardcore BMW fans of the E46 do not like the E90 & feel it lost the mark on this new style.

For me, it's the whole package interior, exterior, ride quality, reliability, safety and do I fall in love with the car, can I live with it for the next 4 years or longer. It was Yes to the E46, No to the E90.

I agree that Lexus should not have stated by the spokesman at the premier showing, that it was going after the BMW 3 series. The only reason I could figure that they stated that was after you put the whole package together I mentioned above, hands down you will want the new Lexus IS. I still think the car will be a huge seller.

If you want a BMW then buy it. It want a Lexus do the same, but why come on here as a first poster & slam the new IS when it's just assumptions about what you have read. One has to drive each car to see what is right for you and the new IS is not even available yet to drive.
Old 08-28-05, 03:50 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Xanadu, I didn't slam the IS350. And my decision wasn't based upon assumptions about the IS350, it was the FACT that the IS350 won't have a manual, at least not initially, and I needed the car now.

As for the design of the BMW, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love the way my 330i looks, and I get complimented on it all the time. To me, after driving the 330i, it was the complete package that I was looking for. Amazing handling, great power, smooth Inline 6, nice interior, slick exterior. I did initially question the reliability of the BMW, again being a longtime Toyota/Lexus advocate, but Toyota/Lexus isn't perfect either. And I got great support from my dealership guaranteeing that they'd do everything they could to resolve any issues that might come up.

For SickLex and anyone else looking for some pics.

Mine is a Sparkling Graphite 330i Manual Transmission with Sport Package, Gray Interior.
If anyone has any questions let me know.
Old 08-28-05, 04:44 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
As for the design of the BMW, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love the way my 330i looks, and I get complimented on it all the time. To me, after driving the 330i, it was the complete package that I was looking for. Amazing handling, great power, smooth Inline 6, nice interior, slick exterior.
I have to admit that BMW makes beautiful cars. They definately have a more aggressive edgy look that Lexus has not yet dared to venture into. Shall I say BMW is more masculine, whereas the Lexus is more elegant (not feminine)? How about an analogy: BMW is to Clark Gable as Lexus is to Cary Grant? Does anybody get that?

I have no complaints with the exterior design or performance of BMW. It is sleek and original. The engines are close to omnipotent with current engineering. Their technology is something that has yet to be perfected. The nice interior is a little outdated; I've had enough of that wood-across-the-dash look that MB, VW, and now even Hyundai have copied. The center console is simple and functional; whereas Lexus is filled with various buttons and compartments. I hate that damn iDrive button!!!

I like Lexus for being a little more refined and luxurious and safety oriented. The new L-Finesse effects are very elegant, but all those buttons can look confusing at times. I love the layout of the new GS interior. The exteriors are clean but nowhere near original.

If the two cars were competing in categories, BMW would win for best engine, performance, exterior styling, and cult following. Lexus would win for safety, technology, reliability, interior styling, and value.

Can you really give the #1 spot to only one of the two? I doubt you can.
Old 08-28-05, 04:45 PM
cressler
Driver School Candidate

Seats look nice in the 330i. I have never been able to get into the aluminum trim in interiors (on any car) but I know they are popular.

For me I am coming from a 6-speed TL and need to move into an auto because of ankle/back problems so the IS350 offers me all the goods. Appearance is so much a simple a matter of preference. I don't personally like the Bangle style of the E90 versus the polished style of the E46 but I have zero doubts it is a great car.

I find the trolling and pissing matches that occur on boards because of car preference to be rather amusing. We all buy what we are looking for and changing someones opinion isn't going to happen so why bother flaming each other over it.

I am sure your 330i rocks for you and I am sure the IS350 will rock for those that purchase one.
Old 08-28-05, 04:53 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Beautiful car PBM i love it.
Old 08-28-05, 06:47 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

plain and simple.. lexus is still #1. for the is350, offering only auto keeps it easy to drive.
and adding the vdim makes it safer for everyone. i can't complain about that.. who would want to see someone wreck this beautiful piece of machinery? plus, lexus had to differentiate the i-s from the 3 series somehow. they seem to have decided to play smart instead of listening to the few enthusiasts that want to drive like a madman or wannabe drifter.
Old 08-28-05, 06:49 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

pbm317, I never said you slamed the new IS. Your name was not anywhere in my post. You have a nice car, Like I mentioned, I prefer the E46 over the E90. I've had & still have a 99 E46. it has never given me any trouble and it was first year production. I've kept it this long cause I still love everything about the car, looks, cabin, drive. Still puts a smile on my face. I'm in a position that I could go out & buy a new E90 if I wanted to, however for me, the car just doesn't spark me like the E46 did when I first saw it in pics & in person. On top of that my dealings with service at BMW is little to be desired. Since I've had my SC400, Lexus service has been first rate. I get people that ask me about my SC400 everytime I drive it, I guess because there are so few of them on the road & the style was & still is way ahead of it's time.

No car is perfect, only you can decide what is best for you. I just think the interior of the new IS blows the new E90 out of the water and that is where I spend all my time inside the cabin not hanging on the exterior. Plus with power of the IS 350, even though it's an auto, you have to admit it is impresive.
Old 08-28-05, 06:52 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Well, this is all certainly good news for Lexus, as I never expected the IS to disappoint. I think we all need to cool down and stop throwing jabs no matter which side we're on. The mods here don't like cross-forum flame wars either .

Beautiful 330, that's the best color I've seen it in yet, and can't wait for the coupe to come out (IS & 3), as I'm really a coupe kinda guy.

James
Old 08-28-05, 07:18 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

The IS350 is the ultimate package. Lexus delivered exactly on what an entry level sport sedan should be.

New IS is a rocket, slightly slower than the new SRT8's w/twice the fuel economy.

Anyone in need of more sport should be driving an Evo or WRX.
It would have been nice if Lexus offered a 6spd manual.
Old 08-28-05, 09:47 PM
IS350spd
Driver School Candidate

PBM, great photos of your 330, same color combo as my current 530 sport (E39). Dash is much cleaner without the i-drive extra hump.

I love both cars, right now I am a leaning more to the IS since I saw both at the NY Auto show last April.

In person the exterior and interior of the Lexus had the BMW edged out.

I am waiting to drive the Lexus and BMW back to back in my everyday world to make my final judgment and where to put my purchase $$

I bought the 04 Acura TL and was disappointed big time at the problems the car had, especially driveline and NVH issues, car never felt smooth (remember the Lexus commercial with the champagne glasses on the hood of the LS, well my 04 TL would have knocked everyone off and broke them off). Only good thing was that Acura gave me my money back and would not swap as I "would get the same thing" per the Acura reps. Anyway, last dollar Acura/Honda gets from me.

I did not go BMW by choice; it was Acura that drove me there, and only a matter of a friend selling it at the same time Acura told me they could not fix my car.

I look forward to my test drive of the Lexus IS, in either case it will be hard to decide between the IS and the 330i, but with little or no track time for my cars, it may be the Lexus as I have seen too many BMW mechanical issues (from friends, family and own experience).

PS - Flipside, your right, a lot of BMW fans are visiting the site, along with Acura, infinity, etc. I would not have thought Lexus until the new GS, but the new IS started me realy looking at the Lexus brand.
Old 08-28-05, 10:26 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

wow 0-60 in 5.1s is FASSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTT! CnD always manage to reproduce very low time and those are almost always off. But hopefully, not too off this time.
Old 08-28-05, 10:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350spd

PS - Flipside, your right, a lot of BMW fans are visiting the site, along with Acura, infinity, etc. I would not have thought Lexus until the new GS, but the new IS started me realy looking at the Lexus brand.
Hehe...it looks like Lexus' target has been on par so far! I'm pretty sure once you dip in to the IS350's throttle like I did a few weeks ago, you will not be disappointed!

Quick Reply: Oct Car & Driver Comparison (0-60 in 5.1 seconds)#1 330, #2 IS 350// Scans pg 6