IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS Sneak Preview Toronto Area

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 06:28 PM
tifosi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just back from the event. and to me, it was a big disappointment.

As far as the event goes, credits to where credits are due, I think it is very well organised. the venue is great, the food is superb, and I was especially pleased Lexus invited Jack Soul to perform for the launch.

However, this IS a car launch event. And as far as a car launch goes, I can't believe how Lexus gets it so horribly wrong. There were 2 IS in the event, and both of them were locked for the whole time. When I asked the Lexus representitive to unlock the car for me to get a feel inside, he told me he was ordered to lock the car for the whole time by the event organiser (one of the car was actually unlocked momentarily before the event officially started, but only few people managed to get inside of the car), and the cars shown within the event was actually in pre-production spec and thus are very expensive. Firstly, this is an entry model Lexus and I honestly don't know who are they protecting the car from, fellow Lexus owners?! this is afterall a private event for Lexus owners to check out their new car, and all we could do is to stand around the car like the Lamborghini stand in the auto show. and Lexus is defintely no where as exotic as a Lambo. Secondly, because the cars in the event was in pre-production spec, which means the cars will be destroyed shortly after the production of the new IS begins. And the purpose for a pre-production spec car is only to show people how the car is like, even if they successfully prevented everybody from touching the car, they won't be able to sell the car either way. And I absolutely have no idea why they are trying to lock the cars.

And throughout the whole event, the cars were barely mentioned, if at all. There were no film clips of the new IS shown, nor a presentation by some top Lexus executive. During the entire event, I felt I was in Jack Soul's concert rather than an event about cars. I am sure there are some car people within Lexus, but I event was totally organized by people that are not enthusiastic about cars at all. This is after all a car launch, and I just couldn't believe how Lexus can get it so horribly wrong.
Old 09-21-05, 08:11 PM
IS350spd
Driver School Candidate

tfosi,

So sad they blew it, I kind of feel the same way after going to the taste of lexus with long lines and no time to figure out the interior or controls, but at least we got to drive it.

The car inside on display was in a dimly lit area, and had a dead battery with a black interior, so it was hard to see anthing in detail (it might as well have been locked), I did manage to get the White LED map light to work (barely).

After leaving the Taste of Lexus event, I felt I knew the car no better, and instead, had a higher appreciation for the BMW 330i, now that is what I call a marketing flop.
Old 09-21-05, 08:26 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I have a good feeling they overbooked these events. When my friend tried to register for the days I did for the SoCal events just last week, they indicated that all were already booked up. I loved the exclusivity of these drive events as they were by invite only, but as the general public finds out about them, it gets out of hand.

Sorry guys. Maybe you guys can get that up close and personal test drive when the car comes to your local dealership next month.
Old 09-22-05, 07:59 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well after reading tifosi recap of the event I am really glad I didn't go. Was tied up in a meeting until 6:30 in Oakville and didn't have the energy to go home and pick the wife up and head downtown.

Kinda stupid they would let you sit in the cars at least. Sounds like it was just about Jack Soul and the Bistro.
Old 09-22-05, 10:15 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The longer Lexus drags out the delivery of the new IS, the less excited I am about getting one as the days pass. The hype is starting to fade, at least for me. Lexus is handling the release very poorly, thenewis.com is a total waste, no real useful information, dealers know less than nothing (to the point of mis-information). I put down deposits at two dealerships in June, but I'm getting close to asking for them back. I'm booked for the Taste Of Lexus in Nov, but at this point it sounds like they're a waste of time, especially if the cars are in showrooms by then.
Old 09-22-05, 10:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

May be that's why they dare not invite someone from the west coast , now I'm glad they didn't . . . . . .
Old 09-22-05, 11:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

i think flipside already mentioned that there are only few IS's in the whole USA. They probably needed them for some other major even (press?) or maybe something was wrong with pre-preduction cars.

I am pretty sure it is better not to allow customers inside the car, than to let them into the car whose battery is dead.
Old 09-22-05, 06:59 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Originally Posted by TimboIS
The longer Lexus drags out the delivery of the new IS, the less excited I am about getting one as the days pass. The hype is starting to fade, at least for me. Lexus is handling the release very poorly, thenewis.com is a total waste, no real useful information, dealers know less than nothing (to the point of mis-information). I put down deposits at two dealerships in June, but I'm getting close to asking for them back. I'm booked for the Taste Of Lexus in Nov, but at this point it sounds like they're a waste of time, especially if the cars are in showrooms by then.

I find myself feeling the exact same way at times, then I tell myself how awesome the new IS will be and it seems to help, at least a little.

My wife and I flew to New York back in March just to see the new IS in person (New York Auto Show), so I know how hard it's waiting, but I'm first in line at the local Lexus dealer.

In about two weeks I will get to drive one at the Taste of Lexus in Arlington Heights, IL. About a week or two after that, my car should arrive at the dealer.
Old 09-22-05, 09:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
The longer Lexus drags out the delivery of the new IS, the less excited I am about getting one as the days pass.
Be careful. Innovation leads to anticipation , anticipation leads to expectations , expectations lead to disappointment , and disappointment leads to anger .

Don't be angry at Lexus. This is pure Marketing stategy. The new IS will still provide the excitement and desire that you've been looking for in months.

Can someone put up a countdown clock?