New IS review by jruhi4 @ my.is

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-05, 07:10 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New IS review by jruhi4 @ my.is

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=265698

Is love really better the second time around?

You remember her. She was your high school sweetheart. She was beautiful. Sexy. Drop-dead gorgeous. And she had a unique sense of style. Her penchant for chronograph watches and amber and red-on-silver illuminated jewelry were somewhat controversial and polarizing. Some people loved it. Others thought it was unbecoming of the youngest member of a rich, conservative family. They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, though, and, by the time she was a high school senior, many freshmen tried to imitate her look. None of them, however, could pull it off with the panache that she could.

It was her looks that first captivated you, but her intellect, smoothness and class were every bit the match for her beauty. Better yet, she was reliable and trustworthy, and a very willing companion for any adventure you wished to embark on.

Alas, you both graduated and went your separate ways. Now, though, after college and grad school, she's back. She's gotten a little bigger and put on a few pounds. The unique jewelry is gone, and the halter tops and jeans have been replaced by Prada and Manolo Blahnik or whoever the designer du jour is. The look is more sophisticated and "grown-up" now, but it's still sexy and no less alluring. You can't help but wonder, however, how her personality has evolved. Is she still as much fun to be around as she was back in the day?

Most people will find such use of allegory a bit insane or "over-the-top", but an automotive enthusiast that has been smitten by the Lexus IS300 totally understands where this is coming from. The Lexus IS wasn't for everyone, as sales that went from one IS300 sold for every seven BMW 3-Series sold in the U.S. in the year 2000 to a 1 for every 10 ratio this year will attest. Sometimes, though, the passionate intensity of "cult" appeal will trump boring, sanitized mass appeal. Just ask the fans of bands like the Grateful Dead, Phish or the Dave Matthews Band.

Indeed, creating a sequel to the Lexus IS300 was surely a daunting task. Lexus wanted a bit more mass appeal and higher sales numbers for the new IS, and make it "fit in" more with the rest of its model lineup. With its totally unique styling cues and an interior far more redolent of sporting function than luxury, the first-generation Lexus IS (née Toyota Altezza) could well be described as "the accidental Lexus". Further, Lexus is in the unique position of having two entry-luxury sedans, one for the younger, sportier crowd (the IS) and one for an older, more conservative crowd wanting a cushy plushmobile (the ES), and squandering this advantage would be foolish. The more intense "Lexification" of the second-generation IS, however, also runs the risk of "cannibalizing" sales from the ES or, conversely, turning away potential conquest sales from folks currently driving entry-lux competitors with a sportier bent. So, has Lexus hit upon the right formula with the new IS?

The original IS300/Altezza was a beautiful aesthetic breath of fresh air on the automotive scene. My only quibble was the jarring contrast between the bright silvery surround of the round taillights and the surrounding bodywork, especially when the car was painted in a dark color. "Smoking", or darkening this silver surround on dark-colored cars neatly solved this problem. The IS250/350? It's a less "original", but no less beautiful shape. The quibbles here are Lexus' silly penchant for different "mesh" patterns in the main (upper) grille versus the bumper (lower) intake. Only now, with the vertical "fan" pattern in the top grille and a horizontal squished honeycomb in the lower grille, the contrast is even more jarring. Let's hope the aftermarket comes to our rescue on that one. The other complaint is that, absent the subtle, gorgeous side spear sculpturing of the IS300/Altezza (surely a precursor to what the L-Finesse look is all about), there appears to be too much "sheetmetal" between the top of the rear wheelwells and the bottom of the greenhouse (cabin/window area) of the IS250/350.

All right, enough philosophizing. It's time to drive! The first of the new-generation Lexus IS models I stumble upon happens to be one of the two most appealing configurations for a true enthusiast: An IS250 Manual with the Performance Plus Package, among whose highlights are the same, identical drilled aluminum pedals as found in the IS300/Altezza (in fact, this is the most surefire way to tell that a given IS250/350 has this very desirable package, since otherwise, your new IS will have conventional full black rubber pedals, and the 18" wheels are available as a separate option without this package). The single main feature included in that package, though, is the sport suspension, which includes the 18" wheels and tires in conjunction with a ½" lower ride height (courtesy of shorter springs) and slightly stiffer overall shock damping. This vehicle had no sunroof and the standard (built by Pioneer) stereo, with a Breakwater Blue exterior and a Sterling (gray) smooth (non-perforated) leather interior.

Step inside, and it's a wholly different world from the IS300/Altezza. The ambiance is classier and more luxurious, even in models that lack the wood interior trim, as this IS250 (and all ISs outfitted with the Performance Plus Package) do. In fact, other than the aluminum pedals, the cruise control stalk (redesigned on 2004-5 IS300s) is seemingly the only carryover item in the interior. Settle into the seats, and you’ll note that they feel more comfortable and “embracing”. New to the IS is a manual telescoping function for the steering wheel (a manual tilt function remains) and power lumbar support for both driver’s and passenger’s seats, both welcome extra adjustments. Even the mundane ritual of firing up the engine is totally different. Now, as long as the “key” is in the vicinity, you press the clutch and brake pedals and hit the start button. The engine purrs to life. The clutch and manual shifter action feel smooth, fluid and reassuringly familiar to anyone who has driven an IS300 Manual. If anything, the shifter throws seem a tad shorter than the longish throws on the IS300. In a curious nod to Germanic practices, however, reverse gear engagement is the diametrical opposite of the IS300: You pull up on a ring below the shifter **** and then move the lever to the left and up.

Once under way, the IS250 Manual feels (sorry to repeat myself) reassuringly familiar. The 4GR-FSE V6 feels every bit as silky smooth as the IS300’s inline 6. (How much of the smoothness is inherent to the engine versus the result of much judicious insulation, however, is something I can only speculate about). The steering also feels similarly weighted to that of the IS300, and, while quite decent for an electric power steering system, it shows no improvement in feel over its predecessor. Even the standard radio’s sound quality is comparable to the IS300’s. On the limited twisty bits of road on our route, the handling was very good and firmly planted. With all this talk of similarity to the IS300, though, the roughly 180 extra pounds of weight and 30 less lb/ft of torque of the IS250 made themselves felt. Make no mistake, the IS250 moves at a very respectable clip, but you do have to mash your foot deeper into the gas pedal than you would in the IS300.

Conversely, the extra work Lexus put into the wind tunnel fine-tuning the new IS’ shape and outside mirrors has really paid off with MUCH less wind and road noise than in the IS300/Altezza. And, for those who regret the loss of the IS300’s amber fog lights and groundbreaking “Altezza” taillights, don’t fear, Lexus hasn’t given up on lighting innovation on the new IS. Like the C-pillar area, the taillights of the IS250/350 are full of refined, faceted sculpturing that is hard to capture in photographs. And that sculpturing isn’t strictly for aesthetics’ sake. As Lexus describes it, an “air kicker” molded into the taillight lens cleans airflow around rear corners to reduce drag. Consider it Lexus’ homage to sculptor Horatio Greenough and architectural giant Louis Sullivan, the father and first major disciple, respectively, of the credo “form follows function”. Upon braking, the new IS is a beautiful combination of large and small LEDs. Also, the “light show” has been brought inside. When the car is turned on, the instrument numbers remain invisible. What you do see is the instrument needles doing a Star Warsesque light saber demonstration before the Optitron lighting kicks in, showing the characters on the gauges. The speedometer and tachometer each have a glowing blue circular ring running below the numerals. This “speed indicator” and”tach indicator” can be set to change to a glowing orange warning that “kicks in” between 30-100 mph and between 2000-6500 rpm, respectively. The change from blue to orange looks really cool, and fans of Disney’s Space Mountain roller coaster will find it reminiscent of the illuminated tunnel before the coaster blasts into hyperspace.

My time in the IS250 Manual now done, I find my way to a Matador Red Performance Plus Package-equipped IS350. Unlike the IS250 I drove, this one has Cashmere (beige) perforated/vented seats, power tilt-and-telescope steering wheel, sunroof and the Mark Levinson Audio System with Navigation. (As of this writing, Lexus has not firmly decided whether or not the Performance Plus Package will include the perforated/vented seats and the power tilt-and-telescope steering wheel.)

I actually approach the IS350 with a glimmer of disillusionment best summed up by two words: automatic transmission. This feeling was compounded by my first-ever extended drive of an IS300 E-shift automatic just a few days earlier. The inability to manually select first gear, the fact that changing over to the “manual” mode from drive brought up 5th gear and manual shifts (via the steering wheel buttons) that felt both harsh and slightly delayed did not make me a fan of this tranny at all. Still, I hopped in, buckled my seat belt, hit the starter button, lazily moved the gearlever into “D” and stepped on the throttle. YOWZAH! The powerful, kick-in-the-back thrust of the 306 hp engine was such a revelation! As I approached a stoplight, I decided to slide the gearlever over into the “S” gate. In another interesting twist of IS300/Altezza to IS250/IS350 evolution, I noticed that the Ferrariesque chrome ball shifter **** of the former has given way to curved, elongated “-” and “+” paddle shifters that are dead ringers for those on Ferrari’s “F1” clutchless manual gearbox. I stare at the instruments looking for the gear indicator light. Lo and behold…do I see a 1? Yes! As the light changes to green, I take off in 1st, keeping it there until I decide to shift to 2nd, near the redline. And the shifts are noticeably smoother than those of the IS300 E-shift. Now this is what a manumatic should behave like! On a whim, I vary my driving route from the one I took in the IS250. I hop on an expressway, hoping to achieve higher speeds, but the on-ramp rush is cut short by heavy traffic. I reach over to turn on the Mark Levinson stereo. Appropriately, Donna Summer’s Hot Stuff blasts from the speakers, and even a half-deaf non-audiophile like me can hear the difference between the standard and optional audio systems. Fortunately, the next exit off the freeway includes some twisty bits. The car felt nice, taking the curves with poise and aplomb. The VDIM did not seem intrusive at all, although a drive on a twistier, emptier mountain road such as Tennessee and North Carolina’s legendary “Tail of the Dragon” would surely be a more rigorous test for this all-inclusive electronic system.

In the end, the drive in the IS350 left me speechless (notwithstanding the lengthiness of this article). This car has made me, an avowed manual-transmission lover and automatic-transmission hater, rethink my perceptions. Sure, an IS350 Manual would be even better, but this IS350, automatic and all, is quite a revelation!

Going back to that allegory at the top of our story, how did the post-grad-school reunion with your high school sweetheart go? Amazingly well, it seems. The flame was definitely rekindled. It was an unexpected pleasure to find such raciness under a more demure exterior. We definitely want to spend more time together. And she looks so good wearing Breakwater Blue…
Old 09-07-05, 09:33 PM
Christian8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Very nice review..
Im glad to see that the automatic is350 is getting good reviews from people
Old 09-07-05, 09:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Sure, an IS350 Manual would be even better, but this IS350, automatic and all, is quite a revelation!
I know this is what most people are concerned about, and hopefully, when we all get to drive it, the automatic will please every type of driver out there.

The excitement is overwhelming!!! (As much as the criticisms from people who have yet to even touch it...)
Old 09-07-05, 10:01 PM
ny888
Pole Position

Nice review and good reading. I like his writing style.
Old 09-09-05, 05:24 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Another review of the same event written by METEORO @ my.is. A job well done.

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=265815

The New IS: A Ride, Drive and Handle

As an avid autocrosser, I was especially anxious to put the new Lexus IS250 and IS350 through its paces and feel how the new generation compared to their IS300 predecessor. First, though, we had the preliminary “meet and greet” with Brad Nelson and the rest of the Lexus crew. Since we had some decent sunlight, we took the opportunity to take some pictures of the cars. We opened the hood on the IS350, but, much to our dismay, the engine was all was covered by plastic shrouding. John (DasGalloway) removed some of the pins holding parts of the plastic panels to see if he could get a closer look. The Lexus representatives were kind enough to remove the main silver plastic cover to reveal the engine.

The intake runners are now plastic à la BMW. There are individual coils for each spark plug. The throttle body is now fully electric; there is no cable as the current version. There are two servos controlling the throttle body (I am assuming that one is the main and the other is there for backup). The engine bay is really tight. Supercharging or turbocharging will be a challenge, but not an impossibility. We asked why there was so much plastic hiding the engine. Aside from making the engine look tidy, we were told, it serves the purpose of directing airflow and minimizing drag and lift. The airbox is on the same side as the current IS, and it has a similar air scoop as well. Access, however, is difficult as it is covered by plastic panels.

Afterwards, we had a technical presentation led by Charles Hubbard of Lexus College. He went into quite of bit of detail regarding the new engines, suspension, lighting, safety features, wheels, colors, braking system and basically all that we needed to know about the vehicle. Even small details were covered, such as why the taillights have small flares on the sides (to help decrease wind noise and drag). The presentation was followed by a short yet informative Q&A session.

Once we were done, we got some general instructions on our drive (basically, DO NOT CRASH THE VEHICLES!) With that, we were turned loose with the cars, which consisted of five IS350s and five IS250s covering all 3 versions (all wheel drive, manual, and auto). In each, there were printed directions for five or six different loops around Tarrytown and the neighboring towns. Out of the box, we were warned about two of them, as rush hour traffic would have made it difficult to test the vehicle. The loops were all between 11-16 miles long with a combination of two lane roads, and highways. The two lane roads comprised of nice sweepers, sharp right angle turns, and decreasing radius turns. All the routes allowed you to test the vehicle’s handling capabilities, acceleration, and the ride quality. I wish we could have had more time to enjoy the area more, but we were running out of daylight rather quickly.

My plan was first to drive the IS250, then the IS350. At the time of choosing a vehicle, though, all the IS250s were taken, so I took an IS350 with the Performance Luxury Plus (sport) Package. This package stiffens the suspension a bit, lowers the suspension by ½” and includes 18 inch wheels and grippy Dunlop SportMaxx performance tires. Tony (Webmaster) rode along with me since he wanted to take some rolling shots, and the usable light was going away fairly quickly.

The car’s interior is very luxurious and very well built. Fit and finish is topnotch and has Lexus written all over. The front seats are very comfortable and offer plenty of support for spirited driving. I was able to adjust the seat rather quickly. The controls for the seat are very intuitive and are nothing like the BMW 5-Series I drove at last year’s Taste of Lexus, which took me a couple of minutes to adjust! The steering wheel has both height and reach adjustments, and in no time I was ready to drive. The thickness of the steering wheel felt just right, as well as the size. Though it was my first time inside the car, I quickly felt comfortable with the vehicle and all the controls.

Once we started driving, the feel of the car is all Lexus. There is hardly any engine noise at idle, and once under way the NVH are “LS”-like. The car is very smooth, silky shifting, and the steering effort is just right. As we drove around, we saw that the ride was very supple, not jarring at all like the current version, even when going over rough pavement, potholes, cracks on the pavement, and the like. The suspension just absorbed all the bumps. The feel of the controls again, is very luxurious, nothing like the current version. Yes, I know, some of you might be thinking Lexus took all the fun and sharpness out of the car. I was a bit worried myself, to tell you the truth, but that was until I pushed the gas pedal to the floor. Once I mashed the pedal for the first time, and was nailed against the seat of the car, I realized that this car meant business! The acceleration is fierce and tons of fun! From the seat of the pants, the 0-60 figures Lexus claims for the IS350 seem pretty accurate. I found myself downshifting for no reason and nailing the throttle just to feel the rush of acceleration, though, the car, in any gear will pull hard all thru the RPM range. Having driven the new 3 series and G35 recently, there is no comparison, hands down the IS will beat them in a straight line.

The way the loops were set up, we had to take some very short on-ramps onto highways/parkways. In one instance, we were basically stopped, and had to merge onto a parkway. As I merged onto the parkway, there was a car going about 50-60 miles per hour on the left lane. I merged, and hammered the throttle, to my surprise, the car on the left lane did not leave me behind, and in no time I had passed him. Pretty impressive! I did not have a chance to launch the car, but with the VDIM controlling the vehicle dynamics, I do not think there will be too much of a science to properly launch the car, just mash the throttle and go. The only way you can break the tires loose will be most likely to rev it in neutral and drop it into gear, and then again for just a bit, because once the VDIM realizes what is going on, it will bring the traction control into play. Heating up drag radials will be a challenge, unless someone comes up with a way to defeat the VDIM. For the casual drag racer, this will most likely not be a problem. As for the hardcore straight line racers, yes, the VDIM will be a challenge. But, then again, just like the first generation IS300, this car was not designed to be drag racer. In brief, the IS350 has plenty of power out of the box to bring smiles to all.

The car really shines when the road becomes twisty. Though I could not explore the handling limits of the vehicle (since we were on public streets and in the middle of rush hour traffic), I was able to put the car through its paces, I’d say at 6/10ths [Tony: That was 6/10ths?!?!]. Through the two-lane back roads, I was able to push the car to some extent. Having Tony by my side, almost as a rally co-pilot reading off the upcoming turns and their degree of sharpness, it allowed me to set up properly for the turns even thought neither of us had ever driven on these roads. This allowed me to push harder through the turns.

One would think that having such a supple ride, the car would not behave well. On the contrary, the new IS is a very capable handling vehicle. The first thing I noticed is the high level of grip the car has. I was able to push very hard through low and medium speed turns, in some instances, pulling some very uncomfortably high G’s. A couple of times Tony and I started grunting from the high G’s we were pulling! Body roll was remarkably minimal. The new IS definitely has less body roll than the current generation IS300 yet at the same time providing a better ride. Keeping the body roll in check gives the driver a high sense of security and inspires confidence to push the car further. The car’s behavior is very neutral, with no tendencies toward understeer or oversteer. Much of this has to do with the multi-link suspension in the rear. There is a new link to control the toe of the rear tires. A couple of times I nailed the throttle out of a turn and was waiting for the tail to step out and for me to use a bit of countersteer, but that never happened, the car just stayed true to its intended course. Also, I was waiting to feel the VDIM kick in intrusively, but that never happened, either. If the VDIM kicked in, I did not feel it whatsoever. Overall the car felt very nimble, surely planted, yet light on its feet. The steering feel, for my taste, is a bit numb and lacking. I did not feel the steering communicating enough of what is going on up front. The current IS300’s steering is better in this regard. Tony, on the other hand, said it felt just right. By no means did I feel uncomfortable, or isolated, but I just wished for a bit more communication.

I opted to use the paddle shifters for most of the test. The paddles are very easy to operate and intuitive to use. They are just the right size and their user-friendly placement and perfect length make clicking off fast shifts a cinch. The shifts are very smooth, not abrupt like the current IS300’s E-shift. A downside, though, is that upshifts lag a bit. I was very annoyed at first by it, as I kept bouncing off the rev-limiter! They do not lag as much as a regular shift in an auto transmission, but they are not as crisp and lightning fast as in the current IS model. Once I adjusted to actually shifting about 400 rpm before the redline, I found that this translated into smooth redline shifts. Downshifting, again, was very smooth, not jerky whatsoever, and the lag was not as perceivable. Oh, and yes, it will shift to first gear, and hold it! Yes!

I did try the full-auto mode a couple of times. In this mode, the car behaves just like any other Lexus. The shifts are very smooth and barely noticeable. The car’s behavior changes dramatically, though. I tried a couple of times to drive it in a spirited manner in full-auto mode, but I was not very smooth as the transmission would upshift as soon as I would ease off the gas and, once I would nail the throttle, it would have to downshift once again. In summary, if you’re going out on a date, use the auto mode, but if you’re going auto-xing, drag racing, or any sort of spirited driving, use the paddles.

I also drove the IS250 with the manual six-speed transmission. Handling-wise, the car behaved pretty much like its bigger-engined sibling. For some reason, the car did not feel as sure-footed as the IS350. I cannot put my finger on it as to why; it may be a byproduct of its inferior power-to-weight ratio, or the lack of VDIM or the pseudo- limited-slip differential offered on the IS350. At first, I thought it was because the car did not have the Dunlop summer tires, but I later remembered that all sport package-equipped IS250s and 350s use these tires. Maybe the tire pressure was different. I just did not feel as comfortable pushing it to the limit. Maybe it was just my head playing tricks on me. Even so, I found some nice right-angle turns to push the car, and explore the handling capabilities of the car. The car is pretty balanced, and offered plenty of grip. The chassis felt very solid, with no flex whatsoever, similar to the IS350. On the IS250, you have the option of turning the TRAC off, which I did, of course. With the traction control off, I was able to induce some nice, very controlled oversteer slides. With the throttle I was able to modulate the degree of the slide, and it was certainly tons of fun.

As far as power, well…it leaves a lot to be desired. It would have not been as noticeable if I had driven the IS250 first, but, after driving the IS350 with gobs of power, and torque, the IS250 feels inadequate by comparison. Compared to the current IS300, the difference is not huge, although, by the seat of the pants, it certainly feels a bit slower. This may be aggravated by the lack of torque. Compared to the current vehicle, which at any speed just seems to take off, the new IS250 Manual just felt sluggish at higher speeds. On the other hand, the transmission was a nice surprise. The shifts were solid and crisp, an improvement over the current offering. Also, the throws felt shorter than in the current IS300, though I still wish for even shorter throws. A nice touch is that hardly any vibration is transmitted via the shifter. Reverse is on top, besides first gear. You pull a ring around the shifter in order to engage it. The clutch is nicely weighed, maybe a bit on the light side. It is very easy to engage and modulate.

Now, having driven both models, and recently driven the new 3-series, the question begs to be asked, which is a better car? Well, it depends. The new IS, is a grown up version of the current version. It offers a superior level of refinement, luxury and sporty feel. Fit and finish are unparalleled, almost jewel-like. Performance wise, the IS350 offers more than enough performance out of the box for the average enthusiast. The IS250, aside from straight line performance, it is very similar. The new IS does not make any excuses for what it is, or for its character. It is not a 3-series by any means, nor intends to be one. It has its own personality, like it or not. For the hardcore enthusiasts, the BMW offers more communication, almost like the car is an extension of you, and if that is all you are looking for, it may be a better choice. But if you are looking for a complete package with the utmost in quality and reliability thrown in, the IS250/350 is a better alternative.
Old 09-12-05, 03:46 PM
TMQ
Rookie

Thanks for the wonderful reviews , especially of the IS250, as this is likely our vehicle of choice, and likely to be an automatic (like most avg consumers). We are in no hurry to get a new model yet with a baby on the way, but it's always good to hear the thorough reviews and see how the reactions to the vehicle progress after 1 or 2 years.
Old 09-14-05, 10:32 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Default Another great write-up from the my.is boss, webmaster

The third write-up regarding the same event.

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=265873

2006 Lexus IS350: The Car I've Always Wanted...Again

In 1999, when I first discovered the Toyota Altezza was coming to the US as a Lexus, I knew I had found the car for me: Rear wheel drive, four doors, sporty looks, great suspension and Toyota/Lexus quality. Five years and two IS300's later (one automatic, one manual), I still love it. Obviously, I must have some kind of unhealthy obsession, after all, I started this website when the car didn't even exist. Nevertheless, I still consider myself a well-rounded enthusiast - my other car is a boosted Mazda Miata - and I like to think I know a good car when I drive one.

Fast-forward to 2005 and I have the same feelings all over again. As much as I have changed over the last few years, so has this car. With the IS300, I felt like I was the poster-boy of the target market: a young professional moving up from a 4-cylinder import, but still wanting to stay sporty. Now with the 2006 IS, I think I fall smack in the demographic again: a slightly-older professional who wants a little more luxury with his twisties.

So what about the car? Let's start with the outside. The styling is not as dynamic as the outgoing model, but the package is most definitely attractive. Gone are the Altezza-style taillights, replaced with simple, streamlined LED-inside tails. As others have mentioned, the "kick" molded into the light helps push air away from the back of the car. Another aspect of the design affecting aerodynamics are the side mirrors. The IS300 had its mirrors attached to corner of the front windows. The new car pushes them out onto the body of the door. Allowing the air to go "between" the mirror and the door reduces drag - and pushing the mirror further out to the side of the body results in the return point (where the air meets the body again) being BEHIND the front window. This makes a drastic difference in wind noise with the front windows down. G-G-Gone is the head-crushing wind buffeting you get in the old car.

There are, of course, a few things I don't like about the new design. The side panels are very slab-looking. The crease running from hood to trunk sits above the door handles, leaving a solid slate from handle to side sill. It's just enough to make the car look a bit boxy. It's not the lack of detail that bothers me (like the indentation in the side of the Acura TL), it's simply the amount of blank space there. While I love the new vertical bar grill, I wish the lower grill looked at least somewhat similar, the black plastic honeycomb seems out of place. And my last gripe is with the rear end, just a bit too big for my taste - though this probably goes with the taller side panels. These issues aside, the new car is a head-turner. It has style and grace in spades, but maintains an adult attitude, never arrogant.

On the inside, things have certainly been stepped up a notch from the old car. Gone is the chronograph style gauge pod, another first generation trademark. In its place, we find slick Optitron-lighted instruments with light-saber needles (have you seen the start-up sequence?) and glowing inside rings that change color according to user-settable parameters (movable redline, desired speed). In the automatic models, the up/down buttons have been replaced by perfectly positioned paddles behind the wheel, exactly at your fingertips. The steering wheel is a bit more massive in the middle (like all air-bagged wheels) but it still pulls off some style. On the left are your radio controls (Yay!) and the right, Bluetooth and navigation controls (in equipped models).

I am a horribly fidgety person when it comes to car seats. In very few cars can I sit down and be comfortable without some butt wiggling and shoulder scrunching. But I found the seats in this new car to be incredibly inviting and a decided improvement over the current seats. While I didn't get to test the heating or cooling ability, I certainly look forward to the latter in our hot and humid Florida weather. Rear seat leg room does not look much improved, if at all, the extra length must've gone to the trunk and engine compartments. One improvement to the rear seating area: it gets its own vents at the rear of the center console. If I have one gripe about the interior it's on the front passenger side. Our slab motif appears again around the glove box which holds the first dual-chamber air bag [thanks flashsim] and continues to the knee-height air bag area. A little crease here or there would help, the passenger has nothing to look at, the interior being VERY driver-centric. Then again, this is only a bad thing for passengers - who needs them anyway!

What the passengers do get to enjoy is a great sound system. Even the standard stereo is an improvement over the original - quite impressive as the stock system in the IS300 is quite good. A pantload of speakers in a tuned arrangement should satisfy most customers. There's even a line-in jack for your MP3 player AND the ability to play MP3 files off a CD. The all new Mark Levinson system, available only with Navigation, kicks it up more than a few watts. With 7.1 surround available from DVD Audio, all but the crack-addicted "all stock stereos suck" diehards will be suitably impressed. With the vault-like Lexus cabin, you'll probably find yourself sitting in the parking lot WELL after you've arrived at your destination, simply enjoying the sounds of silence and music.

I got this great view of the passenger seat from riding shotgun with another my.IS event attendee, Rudy (Meteoro). Rudy's not a bad driver (South Florida D-Stock AutoX Champ), so it was a fairly exciting ride. The car is SMOOTH like butter but still bites into corners. It's a great ride and I found it very comfortable. The IS finally has some meaty stock tires (225/45 and 245/45 on the 17" wheels, 225/40 and 255/40 with the 18" wheels) and the grip is quite noticeable. Rudy drove hard enough to keep the seat belt tensioned and provoked more than a few grunts with cornering forces - the car never came unglued. Out of the box, I think the new car handles better than my modified IS300 and certainly better than a stocker. The rear stays where you plant it - this must be due to the extra toe control arm in the rear - and feels entirely neutral front to back.

When I finally got behind the wheel myself, I was not disappointed. The engine start/stop button is simply glorious - simply press the brake pedal (and clutch in the manual) and hit the button - the key fob in my pocket unlocked the doors and engine by proximity. Once started, the 350 leaps off the line. If I had one complaint of the IS300, it was that it needed just a wee bit more power. Rated at just over 300, the power of the new car is a welcoming and eye-opening improvement. Color me nostalgic, but while I think the I6 has a smoother power delivery from anywhere in its rev range, I've not felt a smoother V6 than this one. The extra tech in this engine (direct and port injection, dual VVTi, etc) must doing a fine job. A keen eye will notice there is no Torsen LSD available. Instead, the IS350 comes with a "pre-torque" semi-LSD. Rudy curses his non-Torsen-equipped IS300 at autocross, but he still wins - I didn't notice him having any complaints about this diff.

Much criticism has been laid on the new Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management system (VDIM), particularly the fact that it is non-defeatable. But it's not your typical traction control - it's an integration of all subsystems with some serious thought and intelligence. I never felt the VDIM intruding until I tried to get its attention - it would let the car slip, but not slide. In the end it's still a baby-sitter, but a very lenient one. It will be interesting to see how the car behaves in tight motorsports like autocross. In the stopping department, four-pistons up front grab large 13.5" rotors and halt the car with grace and enthusiasm. The rear calipers are so small they appear almost vestigal in comparison.

A few years ago, I traded in my original IS300 to get one with a manual transmission, so I'm going to be critical of the automatic - still, I knew I was going to like it - and I did. Shifts are fast and crisp, and when the car is pushed, they happen at the last possible second. You're still going to need to pop the paddles when hunting corners, but for your freeway driving let the automatic do the work, it does a pretty good job. While we all clamor for a manual on the IS350, personally, I'd find it a difficult decision over this automatic. And yes, you can force the car to stay in 1st gear.

There is a lot to like about the new car. From the improved power to the standard gadgetry, this new IS is everything I wanted it to be, and then some. Granted, I would've done a few things differently, but this package hits a very desirable mark in a tough market. However, I'm quite afraid of what the price of this sedan will be. An IS350, nicely equipped, should be in the mid to high $40ks. This is the upper end of the entry level luxury sport sedan market. Enter the IS250. Do you really need so much power? If not, here's the car for you. Everything you wanted in the car, and less. About $10k less. I think Lexus will pull a lot of Audi A4 customers into the IS250, but will there be as many BMW 3-Series customers choosing the IS350?

The new Lexus IS350 has exceeded my expectations. But it does come with a price - 300 pounds (over the IS300) and ten thousand dollars. Nevertheless, at this point in my life, I'm willing to pay that price for the end result - a VERY satisfying car that leaves very little to be desired.
Old 09-14-05, 10:55 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Jeez...they are just pouring in the reviews. They all sound great.