Lots of talk of new IS350 on the BMW forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-05, 10:51 AM
thermal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of talk of new IS350 on the BMW forum

edit

A lot of BMW people were impressed with the IS350's numbers, and some doubt they're real

Last edited by LexFather; 09-12-05 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-10-05, 02:49 PM
DingDingDao
Rookie

My favorite quote from that thread:

"...when I see the Lexus "L" logo, I think of "loser." Not for any particular reason. It's just the first thought that comes to mind. For this reason alone, I could never buy a Lexus no matter how good it is..."

Cracks me up.
Old 09-10-05, 02:54 PM
ID1
Driver School Candidate

I don't know why they are so happy the BMW came in at number 1, it had a bunch of electrical problems and the car was friggin new! Now that i think of it, i honestly dont know how it got number 1 on that test. Maybe it was just a "driving experience" test, but overall i know the IS is a better vehicle... and the beemer guys know it too.
Old 09-10-05, 03:12 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Actually the BMW didn't come in first. They did the math wrong when they added up the points and it turns out that the IS and the 3 are tied.
Old 09-10-05, 03:17 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I laugh at the fact that eveyone on that thread is trying to make excuses for why BMW is better than Lexus. We will never Objectively be able to determine if one car is better than another, but I love how some people tried to break it down Subjectively:

"The "L" makes me think of loser..." (well, BMW makes me think of wannabe racers)

"They probably forgot to add one second to the 0-60 time..." (how can you forget looking at a stopwatch?!?)

"Even though they're tied, BMW is still number 1" (even though Lexus is more comfortable, luxurious, faster, has more safety and standard options, and [hopefully] less expensive)

"C&D must have had a ringer from Lexus..." (C&D is soooo BMW biased anyways)

"You know I could really give a ****** about CD's numbers. What it boils down to is what you look for in a car...I don't want a Toyota...I want a BMW...bottom line" (he's biased too)

"it's easy for a company like Lexus to purchase a Bimmer, take it apart, evaluate and attempt to mechanically DUPLICATE what makes BMW's a superb road machine" (and I'm pretty sure BMW is doing the same thing to make their cars more reliable and user friendly; Damn that iDrive button!!!)

Oh well, the fight continues...
Old 09-10-05, 03:26 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

i smell denial...
Old 09-10-05, 03:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Excuses excuses excuses. All hail das mighty deutschland BMW.
Old 09-11-05, 11:28 PM
Christian8
Pole Position

Talking

Hey everyone,

I read part of the BMW forum and i was amazed to see the good feedback that they are giving the IS350

I'm just as proud of my 'baby' as is the next 330i owner, but:

Lexus IS350 zero to 60 in 5.1 ??? Man, I know 300 ponies is a lot but, Jee-Heezus, that is pretty quick. How in God's name did they manage that with an auto no less?

Seems sad to say that even if BMW comes out with a 335 model, it is going to have to have one significant jump in performance over the 330 to keep up with that thing!
IS350's 5.1 sec vs. 330i's 6.0 sec is night-and-day difference. I knew IS350 would be fast but not this fast! Its 13.7sec @104mph puts it in the real sport car category.

To me, this C&D test means absolutely nothing. If you guys want to blag about 330i's win by 1 point, that's pretty sad.

IS350's 306 hp is only 4% less than the mighty Supra TT's 320 hp without using any turbo or supercharger! With Luxus' proven reliability, that is really something. And its 5.1 sec is equal or even better than Supra TT with auto. Amazing.

I'm not too crazy about IS's new style, but I'm not too crazy about 330i new styling either. If IS handles even 90% close to the BMW, it will be my next car for sure.
I'm not so sure about that 5.1 but what caught my attention is that a lot of BMW owners are considering or saying that they will make the IS350 their next car just because it has proven to be better than the BMW.
Old 09-12-05, 01:03 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

This whole Toyota argument has bugged me since day 1, but to say it about the new IS is just idiotic. There is no more Toyota Altezza or any other Toyota equivalent to the IS. This car was designed from the ground up as a Lexus and will be sold world wide (yes, even in Japan) as the Lexus IS. People who make that comment aren't even worth arguing with because they are obviously misinformed.

James
Old 09-12-05, 03:32 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jet864
This whole Toyota argument has bugged me since day 1, but to say it about the new IS is just idiotic. There is no more Toyota Altezza or any other Toyota equivalent to the IS. This car was designed from the ground up as a Lexus and will be sold world wide (yes, even in Japan) as the Lexus IS. People who make that comment aren't even worth arguing with because they are obviously misinformed.

James
they're not misinformed, they're closed-minded. Denial is a better word.
Old 09-12-05, 05:11 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
they're not misinformed, they're closed-minded. Denial is a better word.
There ya go!

Fanboys from any side make my blood boil.

James
Old 09-12-05, 07:10 PM
Agni88
Driver

Originally Posted by Christian8
Hey everyone,

I read part of the BMW forum and i was amazed to see the good feedback that they are giving the IS350

I'm not so sure about that 5.1 but what caught my attention is that a lot of BMW owners are considering or saying that they will make the IS350 their next car just because it has proven to be better than the BMW.
By "They" you mean one person right?

BMW drivers are obbessed with handling and the driving experiance, they could careless about a refined sports sedan(IS)

no need to argue which is better, they both offer something different for everyone.
Old 09-12-05, 07:22 PM
LexFather

No cross posts please.
Old 09-12-05, 11:00 PM
Christian8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Agni88
By "They" you mean one person right?

BMW drivers are obbessed with handling and the driving experiance, they could careless about a refined sports sedan(IS)

no need to argue which is better, they both offer something different for everyone.

Thats true, every car has something different for everyone.
and i actually meant "they" as a couple of different people. If i remember correctly, at least 3 different owners talked about considering or getting an IS over a 330.
Old 09-14-05, 06:46 AM
leogsx97
Driver

If BMW owners liked the car that handles well they would get an evo vIII. The only thing that
they like about BMW; is that BMW sign is stamped on their car

Quick Reply: Lots of talk of new IS350 on the BMW forum