IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250 vs. TSX

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-05, 05:59 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS 250 vs. TSX

Ever since I saw the IS at the NY auto show, I have been following the car and any related topics and discussions. Have been passively and patiently waiting for the car to arrive. Before the NY auto show, I was convinced that I was going to buy the Acura TSX. Liked the style and performance of the car, but had reservations at times. Since the I had the opportunity to sit in the IS at the NY US open, I am pretty sure that IS 250 AWD fully loaded will be my choice.

That said, I posted an innocent post at the Acura forum and complemented the TSX and wished everyone there luck and informed that I would now buy the IS since I lost my heart to this IS, at that point, I did not know what was starting there.

That forum is now half divided, people who now feel the same as I do, and of course you have the hardliners who are bashing the IS 250. Gee, hope I did no offend anyone, and I hope IS 250 is everything I want, luxury, performance and Reliability.
Old 09-16-05, 06:11 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NjDude
Ever since I saw the IS at the NY auto show, I have been following the car and any related topics and discussions. Have been passively and patiently waiting for the car to arrive. Before the NY auto show, I was convinced that I was going to buy the Acura TSX. Liked the style and performance of the car, but had reservations at times. Since the I had the opportunity to sit in the IS at the NY US open, I am pretty sure that IS 250 AWD fully loaded will be my choice.

That said, I posted an innocent post at the Acura forum and complemented the TSX and wished everyone there luck and informed that I would now buy the IS since I lost my heart to this IS, at that point, I did not know what was starting there.

That forum is now half divided, people who now feel the same as I do, and of course you have the hardliners who are bashing the IS 250. Gee, hope I did no offend anyone, and I hope IS 250 is everything I want, luxury, performance and Reliability.
Between the TSX and IS250 you will find a lot of devide. Obviously an Acura forum will be a little more biased toward the TSX and here in the Lexus forum a little more baised toward the IS250. Still though both cars are good and offer a lot. Even here you will find a split. I myself have my own opinion, but I wont post it here since there was a large IS250/TSX/IS350 topic a little while ago where a lot of us gave our opinion.
Old 09-16-05, 06:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

honestly though, TSX is not in the same league with IS, just as ES could never be....
Old 09-16-05, 07:15 AM
sjava
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish IS250 will join SCCA Touring competition to show it's potential. TSX has shown that it can run with E46 325.

Originally Posted by spwolf
honestly though, TSX is not in the same league with IS, just as ES could never be....
Old 09-16-05, 07:31 AM
Minarets
Driver School Candidate

i am now afraid! is the TSX the same size as the Is350?

when i first saw them i thought they reminded me of the TSX--and i immediately ruled it out. but then all the comparison tests show it against the likes of the TL, G35 and so on....a bigger car. the TSX and so on is "too small" for my wants. the G35/TL/330i was my cutoff as far as small goes.

so for those who have seen it in person....which is it? comparison to the TL or the TSX?
Old 09-16-05, 07:32 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
IS 350 I agree. IS250 I disagree especially if you don't include the IS250 AWD. I'm basing this all from what specs we know of the IS250 currently and driving my brother in laws 2005 TSX on occation.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 09-16-05 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-16-05, 08:23 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Minarets
Honestly, there is less than two inches difference between the two cars in all measurements: overall length, width, height, headroom, legroom, shoulder room, hiproom, and the same trunk capacity. The big difference will be the "feel" of the car. You'll find that one will "fit" you better than the other.

Sometimes, even a small car can fit you comfortably as well as a big car. It just depends on what you need. For example, check out the IS350 vs. GS430 discussion and you'll see that the interior dimensions for the driver and front passenger are pretty much the same...
Old 09-16-05, 09:54 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Minarets

when i first saw them i thought they reminded me of the TSX--and i immediately ruled it out. but then all the comparison tests show it against the likes of the TL, G35 and so on....a bigger car. the TSX and so on is "too small" for my wants. the G35/TL/330i was my cutoff as far as small goes.

so for those who have seen it in person....which is it? comparison to the TL or the TSX?
330 and IS are compact cars, G35/TL/TSX are midsizers - at least far as EPA classifications go. In real terms it depends.

Biker, who hangs out at TSX forums but thinks the IS is better overall.
Old 09-16-05, 10:02 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great part about the TSX....rear seat room is nice.

We'll have to see about the price of the IS 250...
Old 09-16-05, 10:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

I think the TSX is a great value. The IS250 is also going to be a great value for what it's worth as we'll. It's all preference. A FWD car w/a 4cylinder or a much more fun to drive RWD car with a 6 cylinder (that get's great gas mileage that rivals many 4cylinders out there)? I'd go with the latter.
Old 09-16-05, 10:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I'd take a RWD V6 over a FWD 4 banger anytime even if I have to pay a little more.
Old 09-16-05, 11:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I'd take a RWD V6 over a FWD 4 banger anytime even if I have to pay a little more.
thats what I am saying.. they are not in the same class really. of course, you can compare them, you can cross shop them, but they still are not same class of cars..
Old 09-16-05, 12:05 PM
IS350spd
Driver School Candidate

The TSX is a little longer, and the interior is a little bigger in the back, but interior quality on the TSX is that of an Accord (rember it is the euro accord), and is very plasticy.

I drove one for several days as a loaner when I had my 04 TL (which was in the shop a lot), and the TSX was like a tin can compared to the TL.

I am sure that the IS will have a much better interior quality to it.

If you want a hard plastic interior that sounds like a tin can when you close the doors (and sit in it in the rain), get the TSX.

The TSX does drive well, but it still pushes in the turns (heavy nose syndrome).
Old 09-16-05, 01:15 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by biker
330 and IS are compact cars, G35/TL/TSX are midsizers - at least far as EPA classifications go. In real terms it depends.

Biker, who hangs out at TSX forums but thinks the IS is better overall.

I think 330i,IS,G35, and TSX are all compact. TL is a mid-sized. EPA determines this by the total cargo space inside the cabin and the trunk.
Old 09-16-05, 01:21 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

My two cents ... both cars are great in their own regard and should offer great value, but I just think the IS will have that extra bit of refinement and luxurious interior over the TSX.

That and the IS250 will get better fuel economy than the TSX ... even a 250 AWD gets 22/28 according to EPA .. the city number beats the TSX, but TSX has a slightly higher highway number. Still, not bad for the IS, considering it's AWD, and weighs more

Quick Reply: IS 250 vs. TSX