IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Eventual IS hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-05, 12:27 PM
Final Word
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eventual IS hybrid?

I believe Toyota has mentioned that all of their products will have a hybrid option by the year 2010. If that is the case, an IS hybrid may not be that far away. If and when this does in fact happen, do you think Lexus will offer a hybrid using the 2.5 liter engine or the 3.5 liter engine or possibly both?

I'm guessing the 2.5 liter would offer the greatest gas mileage of ANY Toyota product out there. From the EPA estimates, 32mpg highway is already attainable on the 2.5 as is. Could you imagine what the performance and gas mileage could be on an IS 350h?

Then of course, there could be the IS450h, which could offer the ultimate in performance and mileage.

I wonder if Lexus will offer hybrid options for both engines or just on one. It always seems Lexus seems to offer more for their smaller enigines (ex: AWD, Manual transmission, hybrid), but that may change in the next few years.

Thoughts?
Old 09-22-05, 12:44 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Final Word
I wonder if Lexus will offer hybrid options for both engines or just on one. Thoughts?
I think Lexus will lean more towards adding the hybrid with the 3.5 L engine, making an "IS450h". I don't think they would undermine the power of the IS by making an hybrid with the 2.5 L engine. The "IS350h" will be outdated rather quickly. Lexus will most likely want the IS hybrid to offer more to buyers: more power and better fuel economy. I mean, why pay more of the hybrid IS350h when you can get the regular IS350 for about $4K less?

Currently, the fad is more power with better fuel economy. "More power" is around the mid-to-upper 200 hp range. Better fuel economy (in the minds of car buyers right now) is somewhere in the high 20-mpg range.

As nice as the Prius is (as well as the Civic/Accord hybrids), the general public does not like the slow acceleration, nor the engine struggling at 80 mph. The Prius is only 143 hp and it really struggles on the highway.

Note that most of the current and upcoming hybrids offer V8 power with V6 fuel efficiency. Think RX400h (268 hp), GS450h (300+ hp), and the Highlander Hybrid (268 hp).
Old 09-22-05, 02:04 PM
Final Word
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think Lexus will lean more towards adding the hybrid with the 3.5 L engine, making an "IS450h". I don't think they would undermine the power of the IS by making an hybrid with the 2.5 L engine. The "IS350h" will be outdated rather quickly. Lexus will most likely want the IS hybrid to offer more to buyers: more power and better fuel economy. I mean, why pay more of the hybrid IS350h when you can get the regular IS350 for about $4K less?
Because the fuel economy will be much better with the possible "IS350h" than the regular IS350 with the same or more power.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Currently, the fad is more power with better fuel economy. "More power" is around the mid-to-upper 200 hp range. Better fuel economy (in the minds of car buyers right now) is somewhere in the high 20-mpg range.
Well, since the IS250 already produces 204hp as is, with the electric motor, could produce somewhere in the neighborhood of 275hp or more with outstanding gas mileage.
Similar to the power of the IS350, but with better gas mileage.

This seems to be the route Lexus is going with the GS as well. With having a GS450h and a GS460. One would assume that the power of those 2 vehicles will be similar, with the 450h of course getting the better gas mileage.

Imo, an IS450h would be more under a "supercar" category, producing probably over 350hp.. similar to what the LS600h will be.

If Lexus ever does do a "GT" line as expected, i would think an IS450h, GS600h, and LS600h would be the obvious designations for that lineup.. i just don't see Lexus offering an IS450h without offering the other 2 as well.