IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS250/IS350 Allocation WEST COAST

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-05, 01:13 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, my point was that lexus don't encourage people to customize coz' that will bump up the price for everyone else. another extreme is acura, where there is pretty much NO options, it's nav or not. their cost becomes much lower with no customizations. so to me lexus' idea is to allow some customizations while keeping the cost in the medium. if they do something like bimmer then yeah they can do that however we definitely expect the general price to be higher than what it is now
This would be a great idea if they made better choices if what they bring in though. I can understand certain regional things like winter packages for the east coast but not for California, or run flats for the west and not for the north east. But simple things like ML audio? DVD entertainment systems? Fortunately you are in a state where everything happens so you have so much choices and generally get all the good stuff. For guys like us out of the happening states it gets tiresome that we don't get what you guys can so easily get by walking into the dealer and picking it out. Like I mentioned before, even if we wanted to custom order certain things often we can't because it is not offered in our regoin and the dealer can't or won't build it that way. I guess I might be one of the few with the largerst complaints because of where I live, but it really isn't as easy and simply as what the mainland dealers are making it out to be. Either that or our local dealer is so full of BS and know they can dictate whatever they want.

It might be hard to understand, but the frustration with buying the perfect Lexus from our local dealer can get high. Even with Acura my brother in law had no trouble building his 05 TSX they way he wanted it to be. It took a few weeks to deliver from the factory, but it wasn't hard at all. You could go to Acura website and build it there (Minus navigation) and they would order it for you. I can't do that here with Lexus.
Old 10-04-05, 01:19 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
You need navigation in Hawaii?

Oh well, I get lost getting to work, and my boss doesn't take that excuse anymore...

You can always buy an IS on eBay when one becomes available.

On a lighter note yes. Actually, you don't really need it but I do use navigation on my PDA. For the most part you don't need it but it works so great when we go to places that we don't normally go to or when you are going to peoples houses that you are not familiar with. the Island is small, but we don't always to to all parts of it. There are a lot of one way streets as well and also road signs are not as well places as in the mainland. The more importent part is I want the LCD screen. This would not be as major a deal if it were like the GS and the LCD screen was standard even in the non navigation cars, but it sounds like the non navi cars in the IS will NOT have a screen and be more like the RX330s.

Anyway, that is pretty much what I'm going to do. Not buy off ebay but buy in the mainland on the west coast somewere. It is either the IS350 or if the price for what I want in the IS350 gets too high I'll just jump into the GS430. Then I'll et the ML and LCD screen I want anyway
Old 10-04-05, 01:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your dealership doesn't put the permanent plates on, when they arrive, for customers as a convienence? I don't know how CA works, but here on the East Coast that has been a dealer courtesy for many years. People here expect it. And...new cars here come with the front license plate bracket already attached so all you have to do is screw the plates on.....they don't in CA even though front plates are a state law? Or is this just a special and unusual request from someone who just doesn't want holes drilled or the brackets attached?.....from the looks of the thread that is what it seems like.
they all put on the front bracket for you in general, unless you request them NOT to be put on (like me). that's why i have to sign the liability release

uesd to be the case that some dealerships they didn't put on the front bracket unless the owner come and asked for it. but now it's the other way around
Old 10-04-05, 01:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh that i can totally understand, chris. don't get me wrong, personally i like the customization idea. remember i have always wanted the white on black sc430 myself? that never happened coz' they don't come that way unless i paid msrp for custom order. so i did the compromise

in this case of the new IS, i do agree on the ML. i can't believe they drop this feature, to me it goes together with the nav easy. it's just that good and necessary. other stuff like pcs and laser cruise now that's kinda "optional" imho.

and of course we need to separate what's available from factory and what the dealership wanna do for you. some dealerships they are just stupid and don't want to go through any of the hassle. my local bmw dealership? the manager orders all the m3 with stupid options, and they straight out said they don't do custom order for people. they can kiss my ***....

and btw, OT but.... tsx has options? i thought it's just either nav or no nav didn't pay attention though
Old 10-04-05, 01:34 PM
Hollywd IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Californians.

We are required to put the license plate in the front of the car. If you get pulled over, it's $50 every time. The dealer is not required to sell you the car with holes in it, but you are required to get the plates on it.

Anyone know how to put plates on without drilling the bumper?
Im not sure what California you're from (maybe it differs by city) but Ive just received two of these tickets in the last month and they are $35 each. Plus if you can send in $10 with a picture of the front of the car and a plate on they will clear it.

$10 is SO worth the risk!
Old 10-04-05, 01:35 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

and btw, OT but.... tsx has options? i thought it's just either nav or no nav didn't pay attention though
It was minor things like exterior and interior color combinations with the manual. The didn't have exactly the right color combos with manuals on the lot. Also the addition of the OEM body kit. You could also order the option rims as well and spoiler I think too. It was just seemless though. Tell me what you want, negotiate the price then the dealer goes and finds the car whether it be from another dealer or the factory.
Old 10-04-05, 01:38 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hollywd IS
Im not sure what California you're from (maybe it differs by city) but Ive just received two of these tickets in the last month and they are $35 each. Plus if you can send in $10 with a picture of the front of the car and a plate on they will clear it.

Man, you guys are lucky. In my state it is more than $85 fine. Also it is an equipement violation and not a fix it ticket so the only way to get out of paying the full fine is to plead not guilty and try and plea bargin at trial
Old 10-04-05, 01:53 PM
vwong
Driver

Originally Posted by Hollywd IS

Yeah, I think it differs by the city because the last time I had a ticket for no front plate (which was in 2001, I think), it was only $10.

It seems like this thread has been hi-jacked. Maybe we should leave the front plate talk in the thread I started, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181313.
Old 10-04-05, 02:09 PM
Lexus3oi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well obviously the main reason i would be interested in "custom ordering", is to get the colors i want, as well as making sure i get the options i want, while not paying for the options i don't want

basically the Performance Luxury Plus Package + colors of my choice are the must haves....the Nav & ML will depend more on how much they cost...may be nice to have, but not deal breakers
Old 10-04-05, 02:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

they all put on the front bracket for you in general, unless you request them NOT to be put on (like me). that's why i have to sign the liability release

uesd to be the case that some dealerships they didn't put on the front bracket unless the owner come and asked for it. but now it's the other way around
Well, Henry.....I'm at least part way with you on that. I'd like to see the laws changed so that in states with front-plate requirements you could put them in the front window instead...provided, of course, the windshield is not tinted too darkly and they are legible.

I wonder if anyone has suggested this to Governor Schwartznegger in Sacramento....my guess is he would be favorable to it. He is an auto and SUV enthusiast and owns 3 Hummers.
Old 10-04-05, 03:56 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexus3oi
well obviously the main reason i would be interested in "custom ordering", is to get the colors i want, as well as making sure i get the options i want, while not paying for the options i don't want

basically the Performance Luxury Plus Package + colors of my choice are the must haves....the Nav & ML will depend more on how much they cost...may be nice to have, but not deal breakers
If you want to custom order for less than MSRP you might try to talk to a fleet manager. The sales person is on commission and makes their money on the markup from cost. The other reason there are few custom orders is not many are willing to wait 3 months for the boat.
Old 10-04-05, 04:20 PM
IS JOE
Rookie

Sorry Californians.

We are required to put the license plate in the front of the car. If you get pulled over, it's $50 every time. The dealer is not required to sell you the car with holes in it, but you are required to get the plates on it.

Anyone know how to put plates on without drilling the bumper?

Well mine are held on right now by zip ties to the grill (cheesey I know). It was a temporary solution that I never got around to making permanent.

On the the mk2 IS, there's a square cut out for the tow hookup a little right of center on the front bumper. I bet it would be easy to rig up a license plate mount to that. And you can easily take it off and cover it up again for any meets or shows and no one would even know.

BTW, I got pulled over for no front plate, when it wasn't on yet, and it was a $10 fix it. But it gave the cop an excuse to stop me and poke around to see what else I had that wasn't quite legal. Can become a pretty expensive risk depending on what you've done to your car......
Old 10-04-05, 06:39 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by ntran18
If you want to custom order for less than MSRP you might try to talk to a fleet manager. The sales person is on commission and makes their money on the markup from cost. The other reason there are few custom orders is not many are willing to wait 3 months for the boat.
Fleet Managers are on commission too, so are Internet Sales managers.....eventually it all comes down to sales.
And in the beginning the new IS will pretty much sell for MSRP. If you are interested in negiotating over invoice, I would suggest waiting it out until all the people who want to be the "first on the block" to get a new car.
Me, I am not a person to wait, if I want something I will just buy it. In fact, this waiting game is pure torture, I cannot wait to drive my new IS250. WOO HOO!!!!
Old 10-04-05, 07:59 PM
LexFather

1. Liz thanks a million for the info to supply the phines
2. Lexus has been the best selling luxury brand 5 years in a row.
3. Lexus is a business. Do you know in the car business, the longer a car sits on the lot, the worse? And if you look at inventories, Lexus dealers sell the cars pretty quickly compared to the competiton.
4. This keeps dealers happy, thus you get loaners, coffee, crack, whatever your desires are.
5. Lexus has studied the individual markets and what gets what, they have the WHY'S behind it. There must be a great reason ML is not available initially. Maybe to keep down some sticker shock? I expect the loaded IS to top 40k, and those cars usually all have ML.
6. If you don't want it, someone else will. The new IS is going to sell like crazy.
7. You cannot compare Lexus to BMW when it comes to ordering cars. Do you know in Europe, you can get
320d
335d
wagons, coupes, Ms, converts.
Since they build the cars to taste already, they can offer that here. But that is ALSO why the cars are much expensive. From a business standpoint, it will cost BMW tons of $$$$ to build maybe 20 cars a certain way, though that is what 20 people want. I more efficient business, will not cater to such a small audience, and offer a more limted selection.
8. Thus no IS 350 manual

Lexus will be Lexus, it is QUITE DAMN GOOD at that. Lets stop wishing it was something else.
Old 10-04-05, 09:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, Henry.....I'm at least part way with you on that. I'd like to see the laws changed so that in states with front-plate requirements you could put them in the front window instead...provided, of course, the windshield is not tinted too darkly and they are legible.

I wonder if anyone has suggested this to Governor Schwartznegger in Sacramento....my guess is he would be favorable to it. He is an auto and SUV enthusiast and owns 3 Hummers.
well trust me, if we say people who is willing to pay 100 bucks more a yr can get away with no front plate, he will approve it

Quick Reply: 2006 IS250/IS350 Allocation WEST COAST