IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Taste of Lexus Chicago Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-05, 01:07 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taste of Lexus Chicago Review

Just got back from the Taste of Lexus event at Arlingotn Park Chicago. Drove the 250, 350 and 330i.

All 250's and the 350's were automatics and AWD only. No RWD and no sticks. The 330i were only RWD as there were no Xi's there. That in and of itself is a very unfair comparison, but I guess it is expected since this is a Lexus event.

The 350 is an effing missile. The 300i and the 250 finish a distant second and third. There is a big difference between the 350 and the 250 obviously. I wonder how the 250 would fair once you get rid of the AWD and put a stick in there. As far as handling both the 250 and the 350 out-handled the 330i by a VERY large margin. But keep in mind it is AWD v.s. RWD. A RWD v.s. RWD I would bet a million dollars the BMW handles better. But the AWD on the Lexus is very impressive.

The size of the 250 and the 350 was much better than the IS300 and on par with the BMW. The leather was very plush and soft. Perhaps it was too soft, but comfortable nonetheless. I personally had no problem with the window controls being were they were. I mean, who cares they are controls for windows. It is nothing to complain about.

The only manual they had was a stationary car in the tent. The stick felt a little generic. If I end up going with the stick 250 that will be the first thing that gets updated.

The nav was bright and fast. The touch screen was great. While ML was not available the audio system sounded great to me. I will admit I have an untrained ear, I can only imagine how much of an upgrfade the ML is. To me personally it is not worth the expense.

I loved the lines on the car and have no problem with the rear end look as some people have complained about. It is kind of a cross between the 3 series and a TL.

My only complaint is that the gear box (for the manual) is huge. The bag seems to be everywhere. I wish they would have tried to conceal it a little better, but definately not a deal breaker.

And I wish there was like 1 more inch of headroom. I am 5'11" and noticed the the ceiling was a little low and that was with the seat as low as it would go. Again not a deal breaker but for those taller people that could be an issue.

Overall both the 250 and the 350 are really nice cars and you can't go wrong with either of them. Put a stick in the 350 and you have an 'M' competitor at a MUCH more reasonable price.

Overall it will come down to price. I really want a stick but would deal with an automatic and get a 350 if the price is right. The 350 is an effing missile.

No new info is here, but thought that I would share my experience.

Last edited by VitB6; 10-08-05 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-08-05, 01:26 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 108 Posts

I wish more people took video of these events at TOL. Where is all the video?
Old 10-08-05, 01:36 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VitB6
Just got back from the Taste of Lexus event at Arlingotn Park Chicago. Drove the 250, 350 and 330i.

All 250's and the 350's were automatics and AWD only. No RWD and no sticks. .
IS350 only comes with RWD, as far as i know. I am pretty sure that you drove RWD IS350.
Old 10-08-05, 02:11 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great review!!! Thx, I'm looking forward to Taste of Lexus in SoCal!
Old 10-08-05, 02:50 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

IS350 only comes with RWD, as far as i know. I am pretty sure that you drove RWD IS350.
Hmmm, I suppose you are right. If that is the case thent eh 350 handles much better than the 330i and it is much fast to boot. From my driving experience I would have thought to be impossible. It wasn't even close. Actually I would take it one step farther and say that the 350 handled even better than the 250. They must have different suspensions or something. Perhaps the 350 had the performance suspension and the 250 did not. I don't know, but the handling was impressive.
Old 10-08-05, 04:25 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For sure....there is no AWD 350. I should have been at this event, but I didn't make it. Sounds like you had a lot fo fun.
Old 10-08-05, 04:49 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

I too attended this event and the IS350 was a hoot to drive. VDIM interference wasn't as obnoxious as I expected it to be.

The food wasn't as good as previous years and there were more people early than previous years but overall I had a great time.
Old 10-08-05, 06:50 PM
Robot78
Driver School Candidate

Default Headroom

"And I wish there was like 1 more inch of headroom. I am 5'11" and noticed the the ceiling was a little low and that was with the seat as low as it would go. Again not a deal breaker but for those taller people that could be an issue."

Thanks for the comments.

I've been waiting to see what kind of headroom it has. I recently test drove the new GS and thought it was pretty tight. I'm 6'0" and if I tilt or lean my head even slightly to the left when in the driver's seat, then my head brushes the ceiling. I was hoping the proportions of the IS would give it more headroom.

Have to see.
Old 10-08-05, 07:23 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Robot78
"And I wish there was like 1 more inch of headroom. I am 5'11" and noticed the the ceiling was a little low and that was with the seat as low as it would go. Again not a deal breaker but for those taller people that could be an issue."

Thanks for the comments.

I've been waiting to see what kind of headroom it has. I recently test drove the new GS and thought it was pretty tight. I'm 6'0" and if I tilt or lean my head even slightly to the left when in the driver's seat, then my head brushes the ceiling. I was hoping the proportions of the IS would give it more headroom.

Have to see.
Depends on your body type. I'm 6' 1" and snugly fit in my 2000 GS but had no problems in the IS350. YMMV...
Old 10-08-05, 08:05 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

My wife and I attended the Taste of Lexus event in Arlington Heights today. We got there at 10:30 a.m. and got in line to drive the IS350, after signing the waiver and getting our arm bands.

They had 4 IS350's, 4 IS250's and 2 BMW330's so the lines went rather fast. My wife and I drove the IS350 several times each and also drove the IS250 once and the BMW330 once.

Like everyone has been saying, the IS350 is a rocket. The drive confirmed what I already knew, this is the car for me. I have an IS300 now and really love the new IS350. Both my wife and I drove the car rather aggressively and never noticed the VDIM that so many people have complained about (including many of the auto magazines). I was very concerned about the VDIM before today and now all my concerns are gone.

Some of cars did have Mark Levinson which sounds great, but did not have enough time during the test drive to really listen long enough to make a comparison.

We left the event for awhile (went to Woodfield Mall) then came back for the Enthusiast briefing by Charles Hubbard from Lexus Corporate. Brad Nelson was also there. We had an hour long presentation and got to ask a lot of questions.

We had a great time, but it made waiting for the official launch even harder!
Old 10-08-05, 08:50 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

I must say my self I had a great time 2 vey nicely done
Old 10-08-05, 10:33 PM
NEEDanIS
Driver School Candidate

Hey I was just wondering if the people who attended the event in Arlington arrived at their specified times or can you go pretty much at any time of the day without a problem?
Old 10-08-05, 11:06 PM
hashs99
Driver

was at Arlington race park today and must say that the car looks much better in person.

Had a lot of concerns about the 250 AWD in terms of power, however I was gladly relieved. The 250 has plenty of power for myself. At one point in driving the 350, I said to myself "oh wow," that thing is quick.

All I gotta say is that I can't wait for my 250 to arrive!!!!! I love this car.
Old 10-09-05, 05:41 AM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Originally Posted by NEEDanIS
Hey I was just wondering if the people who attended the event in Arlington arrived at their specified times or can you go pretty much at any time of the day without a problem?

Our scheduled time was 11:30 a.m. but we arrived early (10:30 a.m.) and got to drive right away (after waiting about 10 minutes in line). You can drive any car as often as you want. The longest time we had to wait in line for any car was 15 minutes.

I drove the IS350 8 times throughout the day!
Old 10-09-05, 08:47 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I am signed up and confirmed for this coming weekend in Chicago so I will be there, definitely.

Quick Reply: Taste of Lexus Chicago Review