Drove a 330i for the 2nd time

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-05, 06:55 AM
OneHump
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove a 330i for the 2nd time

I'll get to the 330i in the sec...

I went to Lexus yesterday to see if the Mark Levinson option really is a "marginal upgrade" as the dealers are saying it is. I brought a CD of tracks that would really push a sound system. I listened to the standard GS stereo first, and was impressed. I figured I could easily live with that.

Then I listed to a GS with Mark Levinson and Whoa! The difference is astounding. At this point, I'm quite sure I won't take delivery without ML, even if I have to wait 90 days. THAT is how good ML is.

This is where I get to the 330i part of the story. I went to BMW to see if they had a comparable sound option. I had already driven a 330i, but also wanted to drive it again to see if it was really that much better than the GS430 I drove.

The sales guy was too "busy" for me, so he let me take it out on my own. The first thing I noticed is that the "standard" sound system, which is the only sound system I was told they offer, is crap. It was horrible. My Honda Civic sounds just as good.

The driving part was OK, but it was far from an earth shattering experience. Without a sales guy in the vehicle, I pushed it pretty hard. No biggie in my opinion.

The interior of the BMW reminds me of something from the late 80's. No technology and very plain. I really didnt like it at all.

The bottom line is that the Lexus stock sound is way, way better than BMW's, but I won't touch it with a 10-foot pole when considering how much better Levinson is.

You have to hear it to understand it.
Old 10-10-05, 07:17 AM
VitB6
Pole Position

Keep in mind that the sales guys are probably correct in that the IS stock stereo and the IS ML sound pretty close. There are less speakers and the woofer is much smaller in the IS compard to the GS. So I certainly woulnd't use a GS to compare what a ML system would sound like in an IS. Will ML be better than stock,...of course. How much better remains to be seen.
Old 10-10-05, 09:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by VitB6
Keep in mind that the sales guys are probably correct in that the IS stock stereo and the IS ML sound pretty close. There are less speakers and the woofer is much smaller in the IS compard to the GS. So I certainly woulnd't use a GS to compare what a ML system would sound like in an IS. Will ML be better than stock,...of course. How much better remains to be seen.
There's a huge difference. Trust me on that one.
Old 10-10-05, 09:21 AM
OneHump
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
There's a huge difference. Trust me on that one.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I swear I'm going to keel over and die if I can't get an ML equipped 350 in the next 30 days.
Old 10-10-05, 09:24 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OneHump
I'll get to the 330i in the sec...

The bottom line is that the Lexus stock sound is way, way better than BMW's, but I won't touch it with a 10-foot pole when considering how much better Levinson is.

You have to hear it to understand it.
BMW 330i comes with standard premium logic 7 sound system. but it still sucks!
Old 10-10-05, 10:58 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 330i's upgrade system isn't worth the money, but a definite improvement over the stock one. Maybe it's because I have the Nakamichi in my ES though..? I dunno

iDrive =
Old 10-10-05, 11:38 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VitB6
There are less speakers and the woofer is much smaller in the IS compard to the GS.
There are 14 speakers in the ML in both the GS and IS. The layout is very similar and the speaker sizes are almost identical. The ONLY difference between the two systems are in the subwoofer, with the GS getting a 10" and the IS getting a 8".

GS:

IS:
Old 10-10-05, 12:16 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
There are 14 speakers in the ML in both the GS and IS. The layout is very similar and the speaker sizes are almost identical. The ONLY difference between the two systems are in the subwoofer, with the GS getting a 10" and the IS getting a 8".
I actually found the GS's 10" to be a little overwhelming yesterday when I had my iPod plugged into the tape player
Old 10-10-05, 12:41 PM
BillinSoBe
Driver School Candidate

Default 30 more watts.

The ML in the GS actually has 30 more watts then in the IS.

Went to my Lexus dealer on Saturday and they told me they were only getting 2 350's and neither was loaded... in fact none of the ISes they were getting were loaded. Needless to say I bought a GS300. I was on the waiting list for an IS350 since June. I'm not going to compromise. Loaded is the only way to go. I also won't mind the additional space.
Old 10-10-05, 01:13 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I actually found the GS's 10" to be a little overwhelming yesterday when I had my iPod plugged into the tape player
I guess depending on the genre of music you play you might have to adjust the equalizer accordingly. When I tried the ML system in the new GS with my favorite test CD consisting of a bit of every music genre, I set the equalizer with no boost at all and found the bass to be totally satisfying but never overpowering. In my current '02 ES the 8" ML subwoofer is lacking even with bass boosted to the max.
Old 10-10-05, 01:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
haha you can always tone it down. imho that's better than my sc430, where i think the bass is lacking!!!!

and yes, the systems on the lexus are really good. the ML is just ridiculous imho. that's why i made it very clear if there is no ML, i am not taking that lexus
Old 10-10-05, 01:26 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BillinSoBe
The additional power requirement is only a direct result of a larger subwoofer, so that's already taken into the account.
Went to my Lexus dealer on Saturday and they told me they were only getting 2 350's and neither was loaded... in fact none of the ISes they were getting were loaded. Needless to say I bought a GS300. I was on the waiting list for an IS350 since June. I'm not going to compromise. Loaded is the only way to go. I also won't mind the additional space.
Yeah... again, stupid sales move by Lexus. There definitely are enough people who appreciate and can afford the ML to justify the cost of including the option even in the initial batch.

Lucky for them they still get your business with the GS, but I seriously doubt if your case is a typical one at all, that people who are originally getting the IS will compromise by getting a GS w/ML instead. I know I won't.
Old 10-10-05, 01:34 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I for one would really like to hear a revamped ML system. Drop in some Dynaudio speakers and I'd bet that it would improve greatly across the board. Metal dome tweeters just don't cut it...too much "ringing". That includes the "grade 1" titanium that some of the manufacturers HYPE the heck out of.

The electronics in the ML system are good, but I've been reading about burnt out tweeters and subs in the audio forum. Makes me wonder what type of quality the ML system is skimping on.

And yes, the ML system does sound quite good in stock form.

Percy
Old 10-10-05, 01:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Percy
I for one would really like to hear a revamped ML system. Drop in some Dynaudio speakers and I'd bet that it would improve greatly across the board. Metal dome tweeters just don't cut it...too much "ringing". That includes the "grade 1" titanium that some of the manufacturers HYPE the heck out of.

The electronics in the ML system are good, but I've been reading about burnt out tweeters and subs in the audio forum. Makes me wonder what type of quality the ML system is skimping on.

And yes, the ML system does sound quite good in stock form.

Percy
percy, so you saying that with the ml systems, upgrading the speakers would give it much better results huh>
Old 10-10-05, 01:52 PM
mikeIS250
Driver School Candidate

Default 30 Watts

Originally Posted by BillinSoBe

Hello all... I haven't test driven the IS yet but lookin forward to it on Oct. 17. Pricing is out tomorrow

I am lookin at maybe a 6MT 250 or a 350. I dunno, but it all depends on test drive. However, regarding the 30 watts more in the GS: It takes 10 dB to make an increase of double the sound. 10 dB is also interchangeable with 10 times the power output. So, say there is 270 watts in the IS and the GS has 300 watts (abstract numbers I think... not sure what they are measured at.), then that is most deffinately a difference you cannot hear. Sound increases logarithmically in dB for power. Say for instance you are going from 10 Watts to 100 watts, that is an increase in double the sound.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you increase 30 watts from 270, you will not notice the difference in sound output...

Good first post ? lol...

I know that the ML system is amazing and all, and I am a big fan of Harman Int'l, but not having a Mark Levinson system in my future Lexus will not make a difference to me; it is not make or break. If I can't get it in the 250 then I will simply go aftermarket and put in the JL's I have in my 04' Corolla and then add a quality amplifier and DVD in dash system and subwoofer as well. There are a lot of high-quality products out there and the IS cabin is already acoustically tuned and a greatly insulated structure, so the cars interiors will not be a weak link in an aftermarket audio system for sure.

Last edited by mikeIS250; 10-10-05 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Addition.

Quick Reply: Drove a 330i for the 2nd time