IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

E46 M3 or IS350

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-05, 07:46 AM
2ndGenIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E46 M3 or IS350

Sorry, sorry, I know, just another stupid comparison thread. Really need some advice here though.

Here are my pros/cons so far:

M3 true drivers car
M3 is going to be replaced next year
IS350 all new spiffy technology
IS350 $10K cheaper which will allow me to fix it up w/ rims, suspension, etc.
IS350 way better expected MPG, but every gallon in the M3 would be well spent
Most of my driving time is in L.A. freeway traffic, so M3 would not be utilized to full extent much
Obviously, the M3 is faster
If I order the M3, won't bother w/ the extra $$ for Navi or heated seats, IS350 would be fully loaded

I know the M3 is an amazing car (just test drove the SMG version last week), but not sure it is the right choice for me. Price is a consideration, but whatever extra $$ I save with the IS350's lower MSRP would go into tuning the IS.

Thoughts??
Old 10-10-05, 07:52 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The M3 is an awesome car. We really can't deny that. We also cannot deny the fact that the IS350 will not be able to match the M3's performance and handling. That is why you pay for that extra $10k.

However, if you are planning to use the car on an everyday basis (and I know how LA traffic is...), the IS350 provides a good balance between everyday performance and luxury. You get good gas mileage, excellent performance, enough space (unless if you have carpool buddies), and bells and whistles that the M3 cannot provide. And believe me, you will get the same looks and attention with LA car aficionados as much as the M3!
Old 10-10-05, 09:27 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

as much as i LOVE IS350, when it comes to M, I would still go for M!
Old 10-10-05, 09:29 AM
Agni88
Driver

The M3 hands down!
Old 10-10-05, 10:22 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

M3 is good...but reliability is not. I had an '03.5 M3...recalls, TSBs, and other electro stuff...i would get IS350. However, i would wait at least A YEAR before getting IS350...Lexus is excellent but they are not perfect.
Old 10-10-05, 02:09 PM
suprabob
Driver School Candidate

You're comparing 2 cars from different class.
Old 10-10-05, 03:05 PM
Robot78
Driver School Candidate

Good discussion !

Interestingly, I have a 2002 M3 convertible with SMG and I'm thinking about getting the IS350 in a year or so. Nothing wrong with my M3, but I just like to change every few years.

Have to agree that the technology and most likely the reliability and longevity of the Lexus will best the BMW.

Acceleration and (presumed) handling - nod will go to the M3. Please note that I haven't driven the IS, so this simply based on presumption/perception.

I've had two "recall" services done on my engine due to bearing problems. Hopefully this has been sorted out and is not a problem on current engines.

With SMG and typical options like premium package, the M3 will start to reach the mid or upper 50's.

I use my M3 as my daily driver, but the nod will certainly go to the Lexus in this regard.

Bottom line, Close call in balancing performance vs luxury (with plenty of performance too ! ). If I were buying one nex week, I'd probably get the 350.
Old 10-10-05, 03:27 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

having owned an e46 M3 SMG with 19".

There really isn't anything out there that will match it in performance, handling, and fun factor in a 2 door coupe at mid 50k range.

However, if you want to use it as daily driver, it is not really a good choice. M3 rides very rough with optional 19" (even worse with competition pkg). With LA traffic the way it is, your back will fall to pieces.

I would suggest that you look into E90 330i with sports package and IS350. If you have the time to take a trip to europe in a BMW ED, you can get a loaded 330i for about $44k including tax. (BMW ED price is significantly lower than BMW MSRP, for $44k large you can get a loaded 330i with sports pkg, prem pkg, navigation, rear sun-shade, and free maint for 4 years/50k miles). I am in process of dumping my wife's CLK 320 convertible for a ED 330i. So you might want to look into that.

Anyway, for everyday driving in LA traffic. I will not recommend M3.
Old 10-10-05, 04:35 PM
2ndGenIS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the opinions so far guys. I'm sort of surprised how many M3 people there are in here. One person did note that these are two cars from different classes, which is true, but both are on my list. I know that a $10K spread is a big difference, but I am a techno buff and I am someone who really loves to drive, so both cars really apply to my situation.

If anyone else has anything I would appreciate the feedback...

Chiawei, I am definately considering ED, but I did not see the M3 on the list. Maybe it does not qualify??
Old 10-10-05, 05:34 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I feel for the IS350 in this comparision. Really, it's a no brainer - if you're willing to spend the extra 10k get the M.
Old 10-10-05, 06:14 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Buy the M3 so the demand for the IS350 will be slightly less and everyone will get a slightly better deal...
Old 10-10-05, 06:33 PM
Maximus350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had this very same question, and believe me, it wasn't easy to answer. So far, I have chosen the IS350 over the M3 because of a few factors. Basically, I am in love with new technology and it seems the IS will be far technologically advanced over the E46 M3. I am also not a speed freak, but do like to push it now and then. I figure 300+ horses should be enough to quench my thirst for speed. My current car is a 330I so I would be going with another similar BMW with a lot more power. I figure owning the same type of car for the next 4-5 years isn't what I want. Yes, I know they are a different beast, but interior wise, they are real close. Just can't wait to dirve it!
Old 10-10-05, 08:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 2ndGenIS
Sorry, sorry, I know, just another stupid comparison thread. Really need some advice here though.

Here are my pros/cons so far:

M3 true drivers car
M3 is going to be replaced next year
IS350 all new spiffy technology
IS350 $10K cheaper which will allow me to fix it up w/ rims, suspension, etc.
IS350 way better expected MPG, but every gallon in the M3 would be well spent
Most of my driving time is in L.A. freeway traffic, so M3 would not be utilized to full extent much
Obviously, the M3 is faster
If I order the M3, won't bother w/ the extra $$ for Navi or heated seats, IS350 would be fully loaded

I know the M3 is an amazing car (just test drove the SMG version last week), but not sure it is the right choice for me. Price is a consideration, but whatever extra $$ I save with the IS350's lower MSRP would go into tuning the IS.

Thoughts??
I can see how they are compared but in all honestly
1. M3 is one of the best bargain sports cars out there. Its really a focused car. Some luxury, way more sport.
2. The IS 350 is a blend of both worlds. Not as focused on sport.
Old 10-10-05, 10:56 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGenIS
Chiawei, I am definately considering ED, but I did not see the M3 on the list. Maybe it does not qualify??
M3 is avaliable for ED. However there is no discount on it. Moreover, all M comes out of dealer allocation. A lot of dealer does not like to do ED on the M as they will incur extra cost.

There is a $500 rebate on the M3 if you have BMWCCA membership for more than a year. $1000 on the regular 3 series.
Old 10-11-05, 12:27 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

But the new M3 would have a V8 engine. Considering the price would be similar to the current M3, would you regret not getting the new one by then?

Quick Reply: E46 M3 or IS350