IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Forgive me for posting this...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-05, 09:42 PM
Maximus350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Forgive me for posting this...

Does anyone find the new IS boring with respects to body shape? I haven't seen one up close, but I have heard people stating that the body shape is just ho hum. This is not in reference to the engine btw. Care to discuss? Btw, I have no opinion as of yet. I do love the interior though!
Old 10-10-05, 09:50 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximus330
Does anyone find the new IS boring with respects to body shape? I haven't seen one up close, but I have heard people stating that the body shape is just ho hum. This is not in reference to the engine btw. Care to discuss? Btw, I have no opinion as of yet. I do love the interior though!
I have to admit that at first glance in photographs, the IS does not catch your attention. You need to look at the details to appreciate it.

Then when you see it in person, BAM!!! The IS has so much presence: the sleek likes, the detailed curves, the intangible look of luxury, the perception of static motion, the visualization of being in one, the sense of class that few automakers can capture.

Believe me, the IS in photographs cannot capture its true essence. The IS in front of you; no, you in the IS; makes a whoooole lotta difference!
Old 10-10-05, 09:50 PM
Serene
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would honestly say it's what people have been waiting for. Especially those who always had respect for the IS series. The model looks stunning. I think the new IS 2006 couldn't be any better. No offense here to anyone who owns a new GS but I honestly think they did a **** poor job because it looks like a scion, and they did nothing with it to impress me.

I can't stress this enough but most people that have doubts about this car is because they never seen one in person. Believe me it's a totally different experience when you see it, touch it, feel it. I haven't seen one person here complain about it, so I am really hoping not only its performance but the luxury will also satisfy everyone here including you and me.

Last edited by Serene; 10-10-05 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-10-05, 09:52 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I personally think the IS has one of the most pleasing shapes of new Lexus designs, very organic and sporty with athletic proportions. Just my .02
Old 10-10-05, 09:52 PM
Maximus350
Pole Position

Great replies so far guys! I appreciate it! Philip, where do you plan on purchasing your IS in CA?
Old 10-10-05, 10:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well to be frank, between the new GS and the new IS, i actually like the new IS more
Old 10-10-05, 10:05 PM
Maximus350
Pole Position

I almost bought the new gs300 before waiting for the IS. The one thing that steered me away from the GS is that I feel the body just looks too long. Not sure if I am making sense here.
Old 10-10-05, 10:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The one thing that steered me away from the GS is that I feel the body just looks too long. Not sure if I am making sense here.
I felt the same way. I hate to say it, but the profile of the new GS mirrors dangerously similar to the Nissan Maxima. You have distinction with the front, rear, and interior or the car, which stands out as uniquely Lexus lux.
Old 10-10-05, 11:19 PM
IS JOE
Rookie

The new IS does look a lot better in person. In real life, the car has much more of a "compact" size than in pictures, so the vast barren plain looking body panels that you notice in the pictures aren't really noticable in person. IMHO the side of the car could still use some details or shape, but overall I like it.

As for the GS, I did like the way it looked, in pic and in person. But then I saw 3gs's car at the last meet, and now I'm in LOVE with the new GS. simply awesome:

Old 10-11-05, 05:48 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I like the sytling of the IS - and I think when people start getting their hands on them they will look even better. A slight drop, maybe an understated body kit, and bam - like that GS above you have a really aggressive looking, but still stylish car.
Old 10-11-05, 07:12 AM
upbull340
Pole Position

I just got back from the Chicago Taste of Lexus event. I drove 500 miles for several reasons. One is that I wanted some time to look at the car as I too beleived it was rather boring and I was afraid the rear end was going to be ugly based on some pictures I had seen.

To my suprise the car is very clean looking. I don't think boring is the right word to describe it. It has an elegent look. Very simple. I do think they could have done a better job with the rear end but I found it acceptable. I think Lexus hit a home run with the new design. I'm just sorry the 350 doesn't have a manual or AWD. I'm not sure they are going to sell as many as they think but the RX proved me wrong so who knows.

I liked the exterior and interior enough to add it to my short list of cars to consider at the end of the year. Michelin was at the show with their Pilot Sport UHP All Season tire. This may be the way I go since I want the 350 and the lowered ride height. Just need to have Lexus buy me a sandbag for the trunk come winter.

I also saw the optional 18 inch 15-16 spoke (gave up counting) wheel. That's the wheel I want to put on the 350. That is, if Lexus doesn't over price it.