disappointed......

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05 | 10:31 PM
Tha99
Driver School Candidate

Default Is it you ?

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
hashs99-

ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, DO NOT GET THE TL AT ALL and here is why.....

I cant wait to get rid of mine (2005 TL) even though it only has 5000 miles because it is crap:
WHY?
Dash fades, looks like crap after a few months and THEY WILL ALL EVENTUALLY DO IT!
Crappy build quality.....trunks misaligned from factory, exhaust tips sitting lower on one side than the other, subwoofer and speakers bust easy and repeatedly, rattles, rattles, rattles EVERYWHERE, vibration in engine at 1500 RPM is a WIDELY known problem and Acura refuses to do anything about it

Finally....their customer service SUCKS....their program should be called Acura DOESNT Care not Acura Care....their agents are rude, condescenting, and totally uninterested in helping you if it will cost them any money at all

When ever I drive on the highway I hear rattles everywhere, especially in the back seat where the speakers are....it is soooo annoying for the driver and passengers

There is crappy water based paint used on the car which makes it very prone to rock chips, I already have tons within 5000 miles! Also, the bumpers dont match the car at all, especially on the white TL's---the bumpers are BEIGE/YELLOW! Acura knows this but has refused to repaint peoples bumpers saying its normal...others that have really really *****ed have gotten a repaint of bumpers. (Not good news).

It is a car that is suffering from terrible build quality.....and materials.....my seats look worse than a 100 yr old lady's face because of the wrinkles....the leather is soooo cheap and not durable at all. And I only weigh 150 lbs.

Oh and I forget....bulbs in the dash blow out regularly and body panels come with irregular dents and corners that Acura will not address and/or you would not want it addressed because it would require extensive bodywork on your new car.

Thus, if you buy the TL you will be sorry. Take my word for it....I will be getting a Lexus...there is a reason why the Acura is cheaper....I thought it would still be a quality car with quality service and warranty....now I hate it and the company as do many others....
Do not buy it....you will be sorry.....however this is just a post.....so if you decide to buy it..... I only ask you to remember this post and 6 months later come back to it and check off how many of the problems I mentioned you have..... I think you will be unpleasantly surprised my brother.
Go for the IS just pick up some lesser options. DROP THE AWD and youll be fine.
Are you the one who's always complaning about rattles in Acura TL website? If you are the guy, I will tell you as many of those TL guys have told you. If you pay a lot of attention (yes, I mean a lot) to the rattle, you will hear rattles everywhere. My mom has an Accord 04, I could hear nothing.Anyway, good luck to you. Enjoy your new Lexus
Old 10-11-05 | 10:33 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Knock on wood, Lexus cars such as the LS stay rattle free. Built well and sound well!
Old 10-11-05 | 10:35 PM
Tha99
Driver School Candidate

oh .. one more thing. Even there is no rattle, you might still think that there is a rattle.
Old 10-11-05 | 11:47 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tha99
oh .. one more thing. Even there is no rattle, you might still think that there is a rattle.

i hate rattles. My current acura rsx rattle like 60 years old dodge truck. i hate it so much and i cant stand that noise!
Old 10-12-05 | 12:52 AM
Itsuki_23
Rookie

People please first drive the IS250, then decide if its slow or not. Too much negative talk about it before even driving it.
Old 10-12-05 | 01:04 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Itsuki_23
People please first drive the IS250, then decide if its slow or not. Too much negative talk about it before even driving it.
I think you're posting this comment in the wrong thread. Nobody on this thread is saying the IS250 is slow at all. People here are just trying to decide whether or not the IS250 AWD is worth the asking premium over the IS250 RWD.
Old 10-12-05 | 01:28 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
hashs99-

ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, DO NOT GET THE TL AT ALL and here is why.....

I cant wait to get rid of mine (2005 TL) even though it only has 5000 miles because it is crap:
WHY?
Dash fades, looks like crap after a few months and THEY WILL ALL EVENTUALLY DO IT!
Crappy build quality.....trunks misaligned from factory, exhaust tips sitting lower on one side than the other, subwoofer and speakers bust easy and repeatedly, rattles, rattles, rattles EVERYWHERE, vibration in engine at 1500 RPM is a WIDELY known problem and Acura refuses to do anything about it

Finally....their customer service SUCKS....their program should be called Acura DOESNT Care not Acura Care....their agents are rude, condescenting, and totally uninterested in helping you if it will cost them any money at all

When ever I drive on the highway I hear rattles everywhere, especially in the back seat where the speakers are....it is soooo annoying for the driver and passengers

There is crappy water based paint used on the car which makes it very prone to rock chips, I already have tons within 5000 miles! Also, the bumpers dont match the car at all, especially on the white TL's---the bumpers are BEIGE/YELLOW! Acura knows this but has refused to repaint peoples bumpers saying its normal...others that have really really *****ed have gotten a repaint of bumpers. (Not good news).

It is a car that is suffering from terrible build quality.....and materials.....my seats look worse than a 100 yr old lady's face because of the wrinkles....the leather is soooo cheap and not durable at all. And I only weigh 150 lbs.

Oh and I forget....bulbs in the dash blow out regularly and body panels come with irregular dents and corners that Acura will not address and/or you would not want it addressed because it would require extensive bodywork on your new car.

Thus, if you buy the TL you will be sorry. Take my word for it....I will be getting a Lexus...there is a reason why the Acura is cheaper....I thought it would still be a quality car with quality service and warranty....now I hate it and the company as do many others....
Do not buy it....you will be sorry.....however this is just a post.....so if you decide to buy it..... I only ask you to remember this post and 6 months later come back to it and check off how many of the problems I mentioned you have..... I think you will be unpleasantly surprised my brother.
Go for the IS just pick up some lesser options. DROP THE AWD and youll be fine.

You must have bought an extremely poorly made car because everyone I know who has a TL does not have any of the problems that you have and are very happy with their cars. As for the paint issue most new cars are having to use "cleaner" paint for environmental standards that does not hold up quite as well as older paint. No car or company is perfect. My 2001Lexus GS430 has squeeks and rattles and issues like moisture in the headlights, door actuator failure, rough idle that Lexus should have addressed a long time ago and will cost thousands to fix even though they are known design defects that were never addressed or recalled. I am very dissapointed but I still like the car and will try to get Lexus headquarters to address and fix these problems like they should. My parents 99TL and 03CL have no rattles, issues or problems. I am sorry you got a bad TL but not every TL has or is going to have those problems and not every Lexus is going to be trouble free and not have any issues.

The IS250 should have used the 245hp 3 liter engine from the GS which would have adressed the low power concerns and dissapointments especially if it is being applied to an AWD car , and for a TSX sized car making similiar power it is kind of overpriced, especially when you start adding up options. It is a very nice car but I hope the high price and low power on the 250 will not cause alot of people to walk away from it or be turned off to end up not selling that well like the last IS300.
Old 10-12-05 | 02:32 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BLAQ ICE
Yeah...I have changed my mind from an IS 250 AWD to an Audi A4 due to the pricing of the IS and some features that I need that the IS does not have. Lexus doesn't offer split/fold down rear seats (for my snowboard and hauling of misc small but long items) nor does Lexus offer a FREE maintenance pkg for 4 yr 50K miles like Audi does. That in itself is worth about $3K.
I can also get my A4 with a wood steering wheel only the GS offers that for Lexus
I LOVE Lexus cars. I currently own an `04 SC430 and an `04 GX470. However, when I had need of a daily commuter beginning this past August, I purchased an `05.5 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro. I knew then about the IS250 AWD, but I was worried that I would be paying about $41K out-the-door for that car. Including taxes and tags, I paid $34,400 for my A4 Quattro, which is equipped with 1-touch adjustable moonroof, leather, heated front/rear seats, sport package, satellite radio, headlight washers, clear bra, dual climate control, split-fold rear seats, and wheel/tire insurance (fix/replace tires, replace wheels damaged due to road hazards). In addition, my A4 came with Audi's maintenance package and road side assistance. I liked the IS a lot, but I didn't want to spend more than $35K all-in, and I couldn't walk away from the deal I negotiated on the Audi.
Old 10-12-05 | 07:21 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tha99
Are you the one who's always complaning about rattles in Acura TL website? If you are the guy, I will tell you as many of those TL guys have told you. If you pay a lot of attention (yes, I mean a lot) to the rattle, you will hear rattles everywhere. My mom has an Accord 04, I could hear nothing.Anyway, good luck to you. Enjoy your new Lexus
Is it me? LOL.
Anyone with any hearing at all and even those without but with a hearing aid will notice rattles always when driving the vehicle with the sound system off and even many times with the system on. If you try to turn up the system to drown out the rattles, you are pleasantly met with more rattles from the rear deck rattling from the subwoofer! Its a widely known problems with almost all TLs. So no its not me and no I'm not the sole one complaining of rattles on the website because there are tons of people on there complaining of the same thing.

Yes, the accords are built solid but the TLs somwhow built at the factory are slapped together like there is no tomorrow.
Old 10-12-05 | 07:30 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by UDel
You must have bought an extremely poorly made car because everyone I know who has a TL does not have any of the problems that you have and are very happy with their cars. As for the paint issue most new cars are having to use "cleaner" paint for environmental standards that does not hold up quite as well as older paint. No car or company is perfect. My 2001Lexus GS430 has squeeks and rattles and issues like moisture in the headlights, door actuator failure, rough idle that Lexus should have addressed a long time ago and will cost thousands to fix even though they are known design defects that were never addressed or recalled. I am very dissapointed but I still like the car and will try to get Lexus headquarters to address and fix these problems like they should. My parents 99TL and 03CL have no rattles, issues or problems. I am sorry you got a bad TL but not every TL has or is going to have those problems and not every Lexus is going to be trouble free and not have any issues.

The IS250 should have used the 245hp 3 liter engine from the GS which would have adressed the low power concerns and dissapointments especially if it is being applied to an AWD car , and for a TSX sized car making similiar power it is kind of overpriced, especially when you start adding up options. It is a very nice car but I hope the high price and low power on the 250 will not cause alot of people to walk away from it or be turned off to end up not selling that well like the last IS300.
I used to be happy with the TL but the rattles get worse and more appear as miles are put on the car. Brand new=no rattles, 5000 miles=half a dozen rattles AT LEAST

People are usually happy until they notice their dash fading, their rattles eroding their confidence and pleasure in driving the vehicle, and the poor build quality problems, their exhaust tips sitting much lower on one side and when the dealer says they dont have a fix for many of the issues and 1800acura says **** off. Acura is notorious for poor service, all Im saying is known for just the opposite.

Also, not to knock your friends or anything, but theres are widely know issues that all TLs can and WILL get the dash fade, if they just arnt particuluar enough to notice that their dash is turning milky whitish on the surface then they will be happy. Although, those that do notice bad quality will quicky realize the mistake in buying the car.

Thus, I affirm my warning to you hasha99, DO NOT BUY THE TL. If you do, all I ask if that you bookmark this forum and return to it 6 months later to see how many of these issues you do have and whether or not you go from love to hate the car within 6 months. Good luck to you!
Old 10-12-05 | 07:38 AM
NeonDan
Rookie

i actually was almost right about pricing. All i have to say to all the disappointed out there is that Lexus knows its customers best and they would not sell a car you the consumer cannot afford. While it is obvious everyone WANTS an IS-350 not everyone can AFFORD one. I think lexus realized this predicament with the 1g IS, wanted car but a little pricey so for the 2nd attempt they wanted to appeal to a broader group by filling the gap from 29k to 45k with a competitive yet feature rich vehicle. Cant please everyone though but as a Lexus employee i pride myself in being part of OUR pationate pursiut of perfection, i think the IS is another great example
Old 10-12-05 | 07:41 AM
caha14
Racer

Funny... The dash fade, rattles, squeaks, and crappy leather were also issues on the 2nd gen (99-03) TL, which I happily got rid of a year ago. And don't get me started on the transmission issue on the 2nd gen (apparently not a problem on the 3rd gen)...

Acura quality has gone downhill over time, which is a shame, because I do like the looks and gadgets on the TL. All cars have issues, but the difference is how they are handled. Acura Client Disservices does a **** poor job. Acura will never get a dime from me again. And by the way, all my Hondas have been great.

Last edited by caha14; 10-12-05 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-12-05 | 07:53 AM
scottsRX
Driver School Candidate

I was as soon as I heard no man trans, did not even need price.

I have a e90 with prem, sports, heated seats, and best option of Man trans. it is also white so no charge for paint. I did not want navi since it is not as good as my wifes RX and I only drive my car to work 10 miles each way. I ordered it in the May and paid 40k even. About $1300 off mrsp. not bad since It was a new model and nothing was sitting on dealer lots. This is my 2nd BMW. I think the is350 is a great car, but IMO Lexus missed the boat on price. It should have been 3k cheaper and then they could have stole some BMW buyers. I love my wifes RX 330 more then I would like to admit but, BMW's are just more fun to drive! If the is was 3k cheaper and came with a 6spd man. I would have also been driving a Lexus but as soon as I heard no Man trans I ordered my E90 without even thinking of price. I am glad that I did not wait for the pricing. Good luck to all future IS owners you will have a great car!

Some of you are off with BMW Prices!
Old 10-12-05 | 07:59 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by caha14
Funny... The dash fade, rattles, squeaks, and crappy leather were also issue on the 2nd gen (99-03) TL, which I happily got rid off a year ago. And don't get me started on the transmission issue on the 2nd gen (apparently not a problem on the 3rd gen)...

Acura quality has gone downhill over time, which is a shame, because I do like the looks and gadgets on the TL. All cars have issues, but the difference is how they are handled. Acura Client Disservices does a **** poor job. Acura will never get a dime from me again. And by the way, all my Hondas have been great.
My point exactly.....there was also a big problem with 2nd gen TLs and CLs dashs WARPING.....they pushed people around on that also......they will also never get another dime from me.....lets just hope they got one thing right and a few years from now we dont hear about 3rd gen TLs dashes warping....but I wouldnt hold my breath on it.... or expect Acura to step up to the plate and fix the warping......their customer (no) service's famous response will be just be repeated "its normal".
Old 10-12-05 | 08:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
I LOVE Lexus cars. I currently own an `04 SC430 and an `04 GX470. However, when I had need of a daily commuter beginning this past August, I purchased an `05.5 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro. I knew then about the IS250 AWD, but I was worried that I would be paying about $41K out-the-door for that car. Including taxes and tags, I paid $34,400 for my A4 Quattro, which is equipped with 1-touch adjustable moonroof, leather, heated front/rear seats, sport package, satellite radio, headlight washers, clear bra, dual climate control, split-fold rear seats, and wheel/tire insurance (fix/replace tires, replace wheels damaged due to road hazards). In addition, my A4 came with Audi's maintenance package and road side assistance. I liked the IS a lot, but I didn't want to spend more than $35K all-in, and I couldn't walk away from the deal I negotiated on the Audi.
it seems that you wouldnt pay that much for IS250 AWD anyway...

Quick Reply: disappointed......