IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

disappointed......

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-05 | 09:54 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
it seems that you wouldnt pay that much for IS250 AWD anyway...
That's the point. I think I would have paid much more than $34,400 for the IS250 AWD. The MSRP for that car is just under $35K; add the features I have on my A4, plus taxes and tags (another $2600), and that will bring you to about $41K for an IS250 AWD out the door. The $34,400 I paid for my A4 included all of the features I identified, taxes, and the cost to register the car. Since my goal was to pay no more than $35K, I couldn't have gotten there if I had went with the IS250 AWD.
Old 10-12-05 | 10:18 AM
markulele
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Lexus has been putting the IS350 to get people's attentions. But they have admitted that they plan to sell appox. four IS250 for every one IS350.

The IS250 may not have the room and power compared to the 325i, but don't forget, the IS250 has over $5000k of options that now come standard. I believe that people who get the IS250 will want luxury over (much much over) performance. The IS250 lacks in performance, but it will compensate with comfort, safety, and luxury that other cars in it's class can't offer.

The IS250 is not slow, but it isn't fast either. So it won't win speed races -- at least it will get you from point A to B with all the luxury amenities that Lexus is known for.

well said.
Old 10-12-05 | 10:23 AM
markulele
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
That's the point. I think I would have paid much more than $34,400 for the IS250 AWD. The MSRP for that car is just under $35K; add the features I have on my A4, plus taxes and tags (another $2600), and that will bring you to about $41K for an IS250 AWD out the door. The $34,400 I paid for my A4 included all of the features I identified, taxes, and the cost to register the car. Since my goal was to pay no more than $35K, I couldn't have gotten there if I had went with the IS250 AWD.

does having AWD makes a lot of difference?
i have driven in colorado using studded tires, very good in snow/black ice.
i live in silicon valley, i thought about that it would be nice to have AWD, I can
drive to ski resort this coming winter without using chains. But i only do that only
one weekend out of a whole year, so I think i will not opt for AWD.
Old 10-12-05 | 10:27 AM
markulele
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
"The new IS exterior showcases additional standard features including projector beam headlamps, 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels, dual exhaust, LED tail lamps and brake lamps, and nighttime side-mirror puddle lamps that activate as you approach the car."

"The IS has an impressive lineup of standard interior features such as a 13-speaker premium audio system with an in-dash, six-disc CD changer and an auxiliary input for iPods or MP3 players, separate driver and passenger climate controls, HomeLink®, direct tire-pressure monitor, outboard rear- seat pretensioner seatbelts, steering wheel audio controls and Optitron gauges with personalized shift and speed settings."

"A new twin-chamber front-passenger airbag is... a part of the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) featuring eight standard airbags, including driver and front passenger knee airbags, front and rear side curtain airbags, front-seat-mounted side airbags and front passenger airbags."

"All IS models come standard with electronic vehicle stability control, a feature which helps prevent loss of traction in a turn. While the IS 250 features Lexus' sophisticated Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), the IS 350 comes standard with Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM)."

--These are a lot of standard options. Compared to BMW, some of these would be hundreds of $$$ extra, such as leather seats ($1450), sunshade ($350), in-dash multi-CD changer ($595, and that's in the trunk), power seats ($995), VSC/VDIM (no safety feature for BMW), HomeLink ($179), etc...

that is nice, i would take a bare bone IS250, do you think they will sell a standard
IS 250, without any options?
Old 10-12-05 | 10:32 AM
markulele
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TMQ
You know, I wouldn't worry too much about the price of the options. whatever the number is, the final price of the car is negotiable. unless of course, you have to have the IS in your driveway tonight. the market will correct itself, especially in metropolitan areas where competition is abundent. If people find the options too expensive, naturally Lexus will offer discounts; but if the car sells really well, you just have to take it.

so everyone, let's not buy lexus car this weekend..
let's all wait a few more days...
maybe Lexus will wonder what happen, they might reprice it lower
Old 10-12-05 | 10:40 AM
markulele
Driver School Candidate

do you compare lexus with audi?

is like comparing banana with apple.
Old 10-12-05 | 11:18 AM
jimmyis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by markulele

is that why car and driver , other magazines, and people in forums compare a4, g35, 3 series, and tsx/tl to the IS? cuz they all seem to be in the same category to me. i think he was making a fine comparison
Old 10-12-05 | 11:21 AM
VitB6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jimmyis
is that why car and driver , other magazines, and people in forums compare a4, g35, 3 series, and tsx/tl to the IS? cuz they all seem to be in the same category to me. i think he was making a fine comparison
No kidding. Why not compare Lexus to Audi? Audi's interior is full of class and they are a fine comparison to Lexus. If anything Audi is a much better comparison than say BMW since BMW goes for Performance and then luxury. Lexus goes for luxury and then performance and Audi is much more in the middle for both performance and luxury.
Old 10-12-05 | 11:52 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by markulele

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. However, I think comparing the A4 with the IS is fair comparison for my particular circumstances. I already own 2 Lexus automobiles. I've owned a total of 5 Lexus cars. I don't need to buy a third Lexus car just to prove how savvy I am about Lexus' quality. My circumstances were that my job was moving further away from home and I needed to get a car that would serve as my "daily driver" that also would be good on gas, have all-wheel drive, and have a certain amount of style (cause I'm not dead yet). Because this car would be serving as an "extra" car, I set a goal in price ($35K out the door) and promised myself that I would stick to that goal. Based on what I wanted and the fact that I also wanted a car that had a certain amount of "quality", I selected the Audi A4. To use your analogy, I happen to like both apples and bananas and am fortunate that I was in a position to afford either one. It just happens that my selection of the one was a matter of personal and informed choice.
Old 10-12-05 | 12:00 PM
jimmyis
Driver School Candidate

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. However, I think comparing the A4 with the IS is fair comparison for my particular circumstances. I already own 2 Lexus automobiles. I've owned a total of 5 Lexus cars. I don't need to buy a third Lexus car just to prove how savvy I am about Lexus' quality. My circumstances were that my job was moving further away from home and I needed to get a car that would serve as my "daily driver" that also would be good on gas, have all-wheel drive, and have a certain amount of style (cause I'm not dead yet). Because this car would be serving as an "extra" car, I set a goal in price ($35K out the door) and promised myself that I would stick to that goal. Based on what I wanted and the fact that I also wanted a car that had a certain amount of "quality", I selected the Audi A4. To use your analogy, I happen to like both apples and bananas and am fortunate that I was in a position to afford either one. It just happens that my selection of the one was a matter of personal and informed choice.
personally i think you made a fine choice based on your needs. i too am deciding between an a4, is250 and a g35. a4 looked great, i liked the interior, mpg, 4 years free maintenance and the price tag. on the other hand, though i've heard audi has progressed quite well in this category, reliability is an issue for me. you just cant top the japanese cars and once a german car does breaks down...that means more $$$ and i dont have 5 other lexus' to fall back on . i still have awhile to decide but man that a4 is so tempting...
Old 10-12-05 | 12:11 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

personally i think you made a fine choice based on your needs. i too am deciding between an a4, is250 and a g35. a4 looked great, i liked the interior, mpg, 4 years free maintenance and the price tag. on the other hand, though i've heard audi has progressed quite well in this category, reliability is an issue for me. you just cant top the japanese cars and once a german car does breaks down...that means more $$$ and i dont have 5 other lexus' to fall back on . i still have awhile to decide but man that a4 is so tempting...
I currently have a 2004 A4. I need to get rid of it because I changed jobs and am driving farther to work. I leased the car because I like to get a new car every 3 or 4 years. I am giving it to my dad (as he needs a winter car) so I have 1 month to decide on a new car. I have nothing bad to say about the A4. It is quick, has all the luxury interior styling and the exterior styling is solid too. Free maintenance and reliable. Good luck.
Old 10-12-05 | 12:21 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

I encourage you to test drive the A4, if you haven't already. I can't speak for the G35, but everything I hear about it sounds like it's also a very good car. As for the A4's reliability, I have some prior experience with Audis going back to the mid-`80s to early `90s. I was never stranded in one of them, and I was a LOT harder on cars back then. Audi's quality may not be up to Lexus', but all of my research disclosed that it is clearly above BMW's and Mercedes Benz's (see JD Powers). Even though my choice was primarily driven by the amount of money I wanted to spend, I think I probably would have chosen the A4 anyway because of Audi's long and proven track record on all-wheel drive technology. Also, as you point out, having to only put gasoline in the car for the next 4 years is not a bad deal either.
Old 10-12-05 | 12:25 PM
LexFather

The A4 has always been based off the VW golf, much like the ES 330 is based off the Camry. And both are great cars. the A4 and Audi as a whole still is out the publics eye in America, but in Europe, they are now the best seller.

They make great cars, not the most reliable, but quality parts, good power, and awesome luxury.
Old 10-12-05 | 03:38 PM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

I LOVE Lexus cars. I currently own an `04 SC430 and an `04 GX470. However, when I had need of a daily commuter beginning this past August, I purchased an `05.5 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro. I knew then about the IS250 AWD, but I was worried that I would be paying about $41K out-the-door for that car. Including taxes and tags, I paid $34,400 for my A4 Quattro, which is equipped with 1-touch adjustable moonroof, leather, heated front/rear seats, sport package, satellite radio, headlight washers, clear bra, dual climate control, split-fold rear seats, and wheel/tire insurance (fix/replace tires, replace wheels damaged due to road hazards). In addition, my A4 came with Audi's maintenance package and road side assistance. I liked the IS a lot, but I didn't want to spend more than $35K all-in, and I couldn't walk away from the deal I negotiated on the Audi.

Leslie...THX for the comments VERY helpful. I have talked my wife into getting the new 2007 ES 330 when it becomes available (she currently has a ES 300) so I will get to drive a Lexus after all. The A4 fits my cost plus analysis model. So I will lease one for 3yrs and who knows then buy/lease a LEXUS. All I have to do is make my lease pymt and put gas in the car. That fits my budget constraints in this WORLD of taxes, and ever changing economy.

Last edited by BLAQ ICE; 10-12-05 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-12-05 | 04:07 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BLAQ ICE
Leslie...THX for the comments VERY helpful. I have talked my wife into getting the new 2007 ES 330 when it becomes available (she currently has a ES 300) so I will get to drive a Lexus after all. The A4 fits my cost plus analysis model. So I will lease one for 3yrs and who knows then buy/lease a LEXUS. All I have to do is make my lease pymt and put gas in the car. That fits my budget constraints in this WORLD of taxes, and ever changing economy.
You nailed it. The debate of the IS250 AWD versus the A4 boils down to personal wants and simple economics. Both cars do an excellent job of marrying the concept of fun to drive with practicality. I think both these cars are going to be compared and discussed in the same conversation for a long time to come. As that occurs, they will become better and we (the consumer) will be the beneficiaries.