IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

disappointed......

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 12:17 PM
hashs99
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disappointed......

Have had a deposit with my dealer for 2 IS 250's AWD for months (one for me, one for my business partner) expecting the cost to be 35k before TTL, with navi and PLP but now that number is closer to 40k +.

Even though I know Lexus makes amazing cars, I can't justify spending 40k for a 2.5 liter TSX sized car. Probably going to have to get the TL, is anybody else thinking about changing their minds?
Old 10-11-05, 12:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by hashs99
Have had a deposit with my dealer for 2 IS 250's AWD for months (one for me, one for my business partner) expecting the cost to be 35k before TTL, with navi and PLP but now that number is closer to 40k +.

Even though I know Lexus makes amazing cars, I can't justify spending 40k for a 2.5 liter TSX sized car. Probably going to have to get the TL, is anybody else thinking about changing their minds?
Nope. The end result is, you get what you pay for. THe IS has shown to be tied with the 3 pretty much as the car to have in its class.

Cars are not about who have the most power, nor "percieved" value.

Size has nothing to do with it. THe TL and IS have almost identical wheelbases. The TL just has much longer overhangs.

Who buys a car based on size alone?
Old 10-11-05, 12:19 PM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

I'm in the same boat as you. I was really hoping for the same config for about $35K or $36K. It's going to be tough to skip on the TL with about $3-4K in savings.
Old 10-11-05, 12:24 PM
sjava
Driver School Candidate

Extra $3000 for AWD setup is just too much in entry luxury class in my opinion.
Old 10-11-05, 12:27 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sjava

i think you got some other added options such as automatic tranny, better seats and stuff like that. It's not AWD alone that's costing 3000K. I might be wrong but that's just my thought.
Old 10-11-05, 12:28 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Room and power are important considerations to many people. The IS250 lags behind its competitors in these regards.

The mags have touted the IS350. Not sure that anyone has said that the IS250 is the car to get in this class.
Old 10-11-05, 12:30 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sjava
It's $2000 for the AWD setup.
About $600 for the heated/ventilated/perforated seats and $400 for the wood trim.
Old 10-11-05, 12:30 PM
hashs99
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Size has nothing to do with it. THe TL and IS have almost identical wheelbases. The TL just has much longer overhangs.
and a backseat.
Old 10-11-05, 12:32 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tonyarous
I'm in the same boat as you. I was really hoping for the same config for about $35K or $36K. It's going to be tough to skip on the TL with about $3-4K in savings.
The real world difference right now is more like $6000, since the IS will probably stay at MSRP for a couple months.
Old 10-11-05, 12:33 PM
hashs99
Driver

Originally Posted by tonyarous
closer to 5 - 6k savings.

jrock beat me to it.
Old 10-11-05, 12:37 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
The mags have touted the IS350. Not sure that anyone has said that the IS250 is the car to get in this class.
Lexus has been putting the IS350 to get people's attentions. But they have admitted that they plan to sell appox. four IS250 for every one IS350.

The IS250 may not have the room and power compared to the 325i, but don't forget, the IS250 has over $5000k of options that now come standard. I believe that people who get the IS250 will want luxury over (much much over) performance. The IS250 lacks in performance, but it will compensate with comfort, safety, and luxury that other cars in it's class can't offer.

The IS250 is not slow, but it isn't fast either. So it won't win speed races -- at least it will get you from point A to B with all the luxury amenities that Lexus is known for.
Old 10-11-05, 12:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go for what makes you happy.

The IS 350 may have stolen the limelight, but the IS 250 has trademark Lexus luxury and convenience--admitedly you do pay a premium compared to some of its competitors. Its power is not as substantial as others, but it's still not bad. Take a test drive and see how it feels...
Old 10-11-05, 12:52 PM
hashs99
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Lexus has been putting the IS350 to get people's attentions. But they have admitted that they plan to sell appox. four IS250 for every one IS350.

The IS250 may not have the room and power compared to the 325i, but don't forget, the IS250 has over $5000k of options that now come standard. I believe that people who get the IS250 will want luxury over (much much over) performance. The IS250 lacks in performance, but it will compensate with comfort, safety, and luxury that other cars in it's class can't offer.

The IS250 is not slow, but it isn't fast either. So it won't win speed races -- at least it will get you from point A to B with all the luxury amenities that Lexus is known for.
$5k in options?? Which options are these? The leather, power seats, leather console, rear armrest storage, heated / ventilated seats, and wood trim???

So to get auto tilt mirrors, illuminated scuff plates, AFS / HID, rain sensing wipers, power steering wheel, and rear sunshade is another $3500???

If the 250 AWD the the PLP was $35k without navi it would be a good value.
Old 10-11-05, 01:27 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

$5k in options?? Which options are these? The leather, power seats, leather console, rear armrest storage, heated / ventilated seats, and wood trim???
"The new IS exterior showcases additional standard features including projector beam headlamps, 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels, dual exhaust, LED tail lamps and brake lamps, and nighttime side-mirror puddle lamps that activate as you approach the car."

"The IS has an impressive lineup of standard interior features such as a 13-speaker premium audio system with an in-dash, six-disc CD changer and an auxiliary input for iPods or MP3 players, separate driver and passenger climate controls, HomeLink®, direct tire-pressure monitor, outboard rear- seat pretensioner seatbelts, steering wheel audio controls and Optitron gauges with personalized shift and speed settings."

"A new twin-chamber front-passenger airbag is... a part of the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) featuring eight standard airbags, including driver and front passenger knee airbags, front and rear side curtain airbags, front-seat-mounted side airbags and front passenger airbags."

"All IS models come standard with electronic vehicle stability control, a feature which helps prevent loss of traction in a turn. While the IS 250 features Lexus' sophisticated Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), the IS 350 comes standard with Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM)."

--These are a lot of standard options. Compared to BMW, some of these would be hundreds of $$$ extra, such as leather seats ($1450), sunshade ($350), in-dash multi-CD changer ($595, and that's in the trunk), power seats ($995), VSC/VDIM (no safety feature for BMW), HomeLink ($179), etc...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 10-11-05 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-11-05, 01:53 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

BMWs come standard with Dynamic Stability Control.

Quick Reply: disappointed......