IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Special Orders

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-05, 04:05 PM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special Orders

Does anyone know how special orders work? Is it possible to completely customize the car or are you still restricted by the various option packages? I know that it will likely take 3 months to take delivery.
Old 10-12-05, 04:10 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyarous
Does anyone know how special orders work? Is it possible to completely customize the car or are you still restricted by the various option packages? I know that it will likely take 3 months to take delivery.
Sorry, but you are restricted to the option packages. If it's standard, you can't order it without one. If it's a stand-alone option (such as PCS and Radar Cruise), then you can opt to leave it out of the car. If they don't even make it (such as a exterior-interior combo that does not exist), don't even think about it. Port installed accessories are subject to availability.

Best thing to do: go to the website and "build your own" car. Print it out and bring it to your dealer. They then order it for you. They may try to sell you extra stuff, but that's your decision.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-05, 04:13 PM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

What I was hoping for, as an example, would be to get the 250 AWD + Premium Plus package. Then I'd add on the HID/AFS option which is otherwise only available with one of the Luxury packages.
Old 10-12-05, 05:01 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

What I was hoping for, as an example, would be to get the 250 AWD + Premium Plus package. Then I'd add on the HID/AFS option which is otherwise only available with one of the Luxury packages.
You can have a 250 AWD with the Premium Luxury Plus Package (pg. 24 of the dealer education brochure)...

Premium Luxury Plus Package and 17-Inch Wheels (IS 250 AWD)
• Perforated leather trim
• 10-way power front seats including lumbar support
• Leather console
• Rear armrest storage
• Heated and ventilated front seats with three-level adjustments
• Three-position memory system for front seats, steering wheel and
outside mirrors
• Outside mirrors with auto-dimming electrochromic and reverse-
linked auto tilt-down features
• Illuminated aluminum scuff plates
• Auburn Bird’s-eye Maple wood interior trim
• Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) and High-Intensity
Discharge (HID) headlamps with dynamic auto leveling
• Rain-sensing front windshield wipers
• Power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel
• Power rear sunshade

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Sorry, but you are restricted to the option packages. If it's standard, you can't order it without one. If it's a stand-alone option (such as PCS and Radar Cruise), then you can opt to leave it out of the car. If they don't even make it (such as a exterior-interior combo that does not exist), don't even think about it. Port installed accessories are subject to availability.

Best thing to do: go to the website and "build your own" car. Print it out and bring it to your dealer. They then order it for you. They may try to sell you extra stuff, but that's your decision.

Good luck!
Not quite right!

For example, try to "build your own" GS430 on the west coast. You ARE NOT given the option for PCS. But if you special order you CAN add PCS. The build you own site ONLY yields cars that Lexus is already building as part of the pre-determined allocation for your area. Dealers seem VERY resistant to special orders, they want your money NOW.

Last edited by TimboIS; 10-12-05 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-12-05, 05:45 PM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TimboIS
You can have a 250 AWD with the Premium Luxury Plus Package (pg. 24 of the dealer education brochure)...

Premium Luxury Plus Package and 17-Inch Wheels (IS 250 AWD)
• Perforated leather trim
• 10-way power front seats including lumbar support
• Leather console
• Rear armrest storage
• Heated and ventilated front seats with three-level adjustments
• Three-position memory system for front seats, steering wheel and
outside mirrors
• Outside mirrors with auto-dimming electrochromic and reverse-
linked auto tilt-down features
• Illuminated aluminum scuff plates
• Auburn Bird’s-eye Maple wood interior trim
• Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) and High-Intensity
Discharge (HID) headlamps with dynamic auto leveling
• Rain-sensing front windshield wipers
• Power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel
• Power rear sunshade
Well, this was just an example, but I was thinking along the lines of not wanting everything extra in the Premium Luxury package. Instead, I could maybe just add 1 or 2 options (like HID for about $800), instead of the whole package for $3500. It's going to be tough for me to skip on any of those options though.
Old 10-12-05, 05:54 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Well, this was just an example, but I was thinking along the lines of not wanting everything extra in the Premium Luxury package. Instead, I could maybe just add 1 or 2 options (like HID for about $800), instead of the whole package for $3500. It's going to be tough for me to skip on any of those options though.

Oh. Then you're SOL.
Old 10-12-05, 06:18 PM
Ratman009
Driver

Default So PhilipMSPT, I guess you are getting a sunroof on your 350???

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Good luck!
As I recall, a family member of yours works for Toyota, so you got to "order" your car ahead of time. I remember you saying that you did not order a sunroof. Now that a sunroof is standard on all IS's, I guess that means that you are getting one too.. Not trying to sound like a wise ***, just wondering if your car was forced to "conform."

Last edited by Ratman009; 10-12-05 at 06:25 PM. Reason: edit
Old 10-12-05, 06:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Ratman009
As I recall, a family member of yours works for Toyota, so you got to "order" your car ahead of time. I remember you saying that you did not order a sunroof. Now that a sunroof is standard on all IS's, I guess that means that you are getting one too.. Not trying to sound like a wise ***, just wondering if your car was forced to "conform."
As far as I know, due to the fact that the moonroof is "standard", my car will have it.

But then again, I won't see the car for a while. I did put in the request prior to the mass production of the IS. Perhaps Lexus honored my request? I will find out in about four weeks...

I'll keep my fingers crossed. I want my half inch of headroom!!!
Old 10-12-05, 06:32 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

I would like to hear from anyone that has placed or tried to place a special order.

My delership is completely confused between allocation and "special order". For example, they say Lexus doesn't build Breakwater Blue with black interior. The brochure clearly lists that as a valid choice. None of the allocations have that combo, but does that mean it CAN'T be special ordered? The dealer seems to think that is cannot. I get the sense they either don't really care, or they are actually just clueless.

Last edited by TimboIS; 10-12-05 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-13-05, 07:26 AM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

Take a look at the transcripts of the Bob Carter chat on Edmunds. Someone asked about exterior/interior color combinatoin restrictions and my recollection is that he said there would be none.

If your dealer is not familiar with the special order process, I would find one who is. The last thing you want is a delay in your order or, worse yet, your vehicle to show up in 4 months with the wrong options.

You will absolutely find different expertise between dealers and sales people, even in the same dealership. I believe a single sales manager places orders in most cases, so that person needs to have his/her act together.

I went through a knowledeable dealer. I asked for the Performance package and got a call back the next day confirming the Luxury package. He got confused because I said "wood interior trim". The performance package apparently comes with "sport trim", which I believe is the metallic trim. Even though he had that down wrong, he called me to confirm before entering the order, and will call me again once it is done so there are no mistakes.

i would have been furious had a Luxury-equipped car arrived after 4 months of waiting.

FYI on a couple of things:

I originally ordered PCS, but scrapped it becuase it is $2,800. I thought the radar cruise control would be neat, but not for that price. As for PCS, I read some posts about how the seatbelt kept clicking during aggressive driving. I was already on the fence about the option, but the price tag made the decision easy.
Old 10-13-05, 07:59 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by GonzoBuggs
Take a look at the transcripts of the Bob Carter chat on Edmunds. Someone asked about exterior/interior color combinatoin restrictions and my recollection is that he said there would be none.

If your dealer is not familiar with the special order process, I would find one who is. The last thing you want is a delay in your order or, worse yet, your vehicle to show up in 4 months with the wrong options.

You will absolutely find different expertise between dealers and sales people, even in the same dealership. I believe a single sales manager places orders in most cases, so that person needs to have his/her act together.

I went through a knowledeable dealer. I asked for the Performance package and got a call back the next day confirming the Luxury package. He got confused because I said "wood interior trim". The performance package apparently comes with "sport trim", which I believe is the metallic trim. Even though he had that down wrong, he called me to confirm before entering the order, and will call me again once it is done so there are no mistakes.

i would have been furious had a Luxury-equipped car arrived after 4 months of waiting.

FYI on a couple of things:

I originally ordered PCS, but scrapped it becuase it is $2,800. I thought the radar cruise control would be neat, but not for that price. As for PCS, I read some posts about how the seatbelt kept clicking during aggressive driving. I was already on the fence about the option, but the price tag made the decision easy.

Thanks for the reply. I called Lexus Corp to cpmplain about my dealer being unwilling or unknowledgeable about special orders. The response from Corp was find andother dealer. I was a little shocked by this attitude. If I didn't get results with a different dealer, then they would follow up. I was willing to pay MSRP initially, but there's no way I'll pay that if I have to wait 3 - 4 months.

Just to comment on the color combinations, according to the little 12 page IS brochure, every exterior color can be had with any interior color except:

Tungsten: sterling or black only
Mystic Gold: cashmere only
Desert Sage: cashmere or black only

But my dealer says Breakwater Blue with dterling only. Apparently they don't even bother to read their own material.

Last edited by TimboIS; 10-13-05 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-13-05, 08:45 AM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

I would try to avoid getting frustrated with Lexus and/or the dealers. Many of the dealers are just plain stupid and Lexus is useless.

But that doesnt matter because you're really just after the car, and not a relationship with the dealer or Lexus.

As bad as Lexus sucks, they seem to be a lot better than anyone else since they ACT like they want to help you despite being useless.

My best advice is to do your own research AND find a salesperson with a clue. The first salesperson I spoke with at the dealer I ended up ordering from was dumber than a bag of hammers. The second one I spoke with when I called back was brilliant.

Also, be aware of how dealers set your expectations. Their goal is to sell you a car, so don't ask for advice or opinions as they will all favor that goal.
Old 10-13-05, 09:14 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by GonzoBuggs
I would try to avoid getting frustrated with Lexus and/or the dealers. Many of the dealers are just plain stupid and Lexus is useless... As bad as Lexus sucks, they seem to be a lot better than anyone else since they ACT like they want to help you despite being useless... My best advice is to do your own research AND find a salesperson with a clue... Also, be aware of how dealers set your expectations. Their goal is to sell you a car, so don't ask for advice or opinions as they will all favor that goal.
HARSH!

Here is the deal: yes, salemen sell cars, but they also go through Quality Evaluations. That includes surveys and follow-ups from both the dealership's PR and Lexus PR. A poorly educated and trained salesman will be spotted and addressed by the dealership and corporate heads.

Salesmen learn as much as they need to. For most salesmen, it's the price and options available to the cars already on the lot. Salesmen that do not make special orders do not know a lot about it; it is for typically the manager who knows from higher authorities. Some of these managers keep constant communications here in ClubLexus.

Conclusion: the best source of information are the enthusiasts, the fanatics, the hard-core die-hards. You're talking to them here on the forum.

Good luck with your search!
Old 10-13-05, 09:30 AM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

It does sound harsh, doesnt it, but it's simply the experience I had with dealers and corporate CS. It would have sounded much less harsh, or maybe even complimentary, had things gone how I expected them to go.

I think we can all agree that we would prefer a better experience than that. It is my opinion that the best experience can be obtained by simply placing an order and patiently waiting. Trying to force it is just going to get you frustrated.

Conclusion: the best source of information are the enthusiasts, the fanatics, the hard-core die-hards. You're talking to them here on the forum.
I could not agree more.
Old 10-13-05, 04:20 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

I went to a different dealership this afternoon. They told me the same thing as the other, showed me their allocation sheets. Said you'll have to wait for the next allocation, or the next, or the next, to see if what you want comes up in the builds.

I told them I spoke with Lexus corp about special ordering. They didn't know about doing that. So I asked them if they'd call the District Manager while I waited. They obliged, and now know they know they can do special orders. So I put down a healthy deposit for exactly what I want (IS 350, ST, VN, PS, PA, HW). Just have to survive the 12-16 week wait.

Quick Reply: Special Orders