IS 250 vs. BMW 325 i

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-05, 09:05 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS 250 vs. BMW 325 i

Hello everyone,

This compassion might not be fair as I not test driven the IS 250. But that being said, I may be committing a hearsay here but I needed to share my 2 cents. On Saturday, Affinity Credit union has arranged for some dealers to show their cars in NJ. I was wishful that Lexus would bring the IS, but they did not (understandably so, the car is new). Nevertheless, BMW was showing their 325. Well, with all the hype about the 3, I had to jump in the car to test drive it. Well, as soon as I sat in the car, I had to remind myself that this is the 3 Services. The interior is really bad, I think Acura TSX has a better interior than the 3. The materials were plastically, the finish was almost not finished and it reminded me of a car that might be 20 years old. Oh well, so much for the nice interior.

So I wanted to start the car, you have to insert the key first in the ignition, then press the start key? What am I missing here . But that is not all, I had to press that button 3-4 times and nothing, then the dealer took the key out and tried a few time, finally the car started. I pulled out of the lot and pressed on gas and waited, and waited for the car to respond. Finally the car did decide to pull some weight and responded. I also noticed that the power assisted steering wheel, could rally use some assistance, the wheel is very heavy and does not feel at all like power assisted wheel. The car feels very heavy and sluggish, Not sure what I am missing, but I did not like the car at all. Is me that would not give into the psychological pressure to say wow it s BMW !!!!!
Old 10-17-05, 09:28 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's odd that the car did not respond to you as it should. Perhaps because driving a new car (the BMW) can be so much different that one that you are used to driving everyday? Did you push the car to perform?

I have to agree with the interior. Some people have described the interior cabin as "cold" or "utilitarian". I think that BMW has great exterior design, but their interiors are unspirited and uninspired. It doesn't stand out as much as it should for a luxury performance car. Compared to the new IS and how the car is a flowing work of style and technology, especially when you turn it on, the BMW just cannot compare.
Old 10-17-05, 09:36 AM
IS 250 FAN
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was the major decision on why i chose to get the IS 250 over the 3. I felt the interrior was much better in the IS and the engine and steering were better too. The IS was much lighter (not like a crappy light just not likea 10 ton truck).
Old 10-17-05, 09:41 AM
LexFather

Both are great cars. Since 99% of the people in IS 250s and 325 won't be taking the car to the track but rather stuck in traffic, I'd much rather sit in the IS than the 3. The 3 interior, especially without the NAV, is spartan and does not give a feeling of luxury. Both cars seem to have top quality, well built interiors though.
Old 10-17-05, 10:22 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Yes, I did push the car around, perhaps I test drove the 3 right after the new Passat, that car rocks in responsiveness. The Bimer by far was a slug. I also am inclined to say there was nothing top quality about its interior, very generic and dull.
Old 10-17-05, 06:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

but it was tested 6.1!!!! As we all know, BMW hp is more and they under-rate their cars... I have 5 different magazines to prove it!!!!!

:-)
Old 10-17-05, 08:25 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NjDude
....... I also noticed that the power assisted steering wheel, could rally use some assistance, the wheel is very heavy and does not feel at all like power assisted wheel.
I went from a 540 to a GS. The first three times I brought my GS in for service, I told them that something was wrong with the steering wheel - that basically I could turn it with just one finger and it was way over boosted. They kept looking for the hidden camera.

My point is, if you drive a Lexus all the time you get used to overboosted steering - move to the BMW and it feels like something is wrong - almost too much effort is required. Move the other way (BMW to Lexus) and the same thing happens. You get used to it however.
Old 10-18-05, 04:55 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Steering heaviness...

may be a personal preference. I doubt that Lexus will be making anymore hydraulic power steering in the future cars. The electric motor is very responsive and lighter with no maintenance and no power drain on the engine output. The German cars always have a heavier feel and seem stable and secure but definitely more effort to park and more inertia to overcome in quick back and forth maneuvers IMO.

Lexus has toned down their Horsepower figures this year as the automotive engineers came up with a more precise way to calculate this mysterious number. Getting the power of the engine to the pavement is the goal and the 0-60 times become the bottom line which are more torque related. The 350 doesn't have a German peer to play with in terms of performance without going to the M3. Lexus initially stated 5.6 seconds and now AMCI is certifying 5.3 seconds. That's a surprising variance but everyone now knows that the IS350 will beat up a BMW 330 and send it home crying.....no matter what the magazines say as SPWolf jokes..
Old 10-18-05, 06:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rockville
no matter what the magazines say as SPWolf jokes..
I think BMW should offer giftpack to their new 330 buyers, which would contain at least 10 magazines their drivers could use to talk about their new BMW once they get taken by IS350...

Old 10-18-05, 07:26 AM
Ratman009
Driver

Default Unless the two compete on a road course

Originally Posted by spwolf
I think BMW should offer giftpack to their new 330 buyers, which would contain at least 10 magazines their drivers could use to talk about their new BMW once they get taken by IS350...

Then the IS gets owned. The IS will certainly win on a drag strip or a race course consisting of mostly long straights and loose turns (or even a few tight turns), where the IS can really stretch its horsepower advantage. On a tight roadcourse, the 330 takes the taco. Compare the numbers from I believe Road and Tracks review. The 350 finished the R+T figure 8 course (a composite of acceleration and handling) over a second behind the 330, while spanking it in the quarter mile and 0-60 tests.

But for the stoplight drags, no IS350 owner should have anything to worry about, unless they are next to a GTO, a new Mustang GT, M3, S4, Evo, or STI, anyAMG, etc. Even with those cars, the driver better know how to drive a stick properly or he/she still may lose to the IS.
Old 10-18-05, 12:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ratman009
Then the IS gets owned. The IS will certainly win on a drag strip or a race course consisting of mostly long straights and loose turns (or even a few tight turns), where the IS can really stretch its horsepower advantage. On a tight roadcourse, the 330 takes the taco. Compare the numbers from I believe Road and Tracks review. The 350 finished the R+T figure 8 course (a composite of acceleration and handling) over a second behind the 330, while spanking it in the quarter mile and 0-60 tests.

But for the stoplight drags, no IS350 owner should have anything to worry about, unless they are next to a GTO, a new Mustang GT, M3, S4, Evo, or STI, anyAMG, etc. Even with those cars, the driver better know how to drive a stick properly or he/she still may lose to the IS.
Actually, Tacoma V6 finished better than IS350 due to VDIM and the fact that figure 8 is small tight course where you slide your car around. A lot of mags have small tracks where you litteraly slide around tight bends, at which VDIM wont help you.

In real life, on real road 330i would see IS350 for around 9 seconds... then it would be out of its sight. 3 series suck on real track too, where you dont get to slide around because you lose time... Both A4 and C350 were faster than 330i on real track tested by german Autobild.

Which is another reason all german media think of 330i as slow car.
Old 10-18-05, 06:33 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I believe the new 335 will fix things for the BMW camp.
Old 10-18-05, 11:25 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

as a lexus owner and a former bmw owner, i still prefer the bmw steering..my gs and even the new IS is way too light imo..so yeah, i hate the overboosted feeling!
Old 10-20-05, 04:02 PM
ABR
Driver School Candidate

I've just did back to back drive tests of IS250AWD and 325xi. Handling of BMW is outstanding, roof line is higher and visibility is better. IS250 is really underpowered, I drove it second time (with PWR mode on) and after 325 it was very uninspiring. My wife said it behaves just like our Sienna. Still IS interior is much better and has more luxury items: ventilated seats, side mirrors changing position as you put car in reverse, better controls layout juts name of few.

Finally it comes to me that 325 and is250 are way too different cars. I’m not even sure if they can be really compared. As I’m personally after fun driving plus IS roof line is too low for my height, I probably settle on BMW this time.