IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Xenon HID Headlight Output

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05, 01:55 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nissan's HID's aren't auto-levelling. I'm pretty sure Infiniti doesn't have them either, which is why they can shove them off as standard.

It's also sort of a part & labor lock, since the xenon bulbs themselves can go for $300 a piece
Old 10-18-05, 02:06 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp

It's also sort of a part & labor lock, since the xenon bulbs themselves can go for $300 a piece
I wouldn't know the exact dealer cost, but $300 each for Xenon D2S/D2R bulbs are very expensive. The cost of the part surely is much lower. I used to pick on new phillips OEM D2S bulbs on eabu for $50 -$60 for two. That is $25-$30 each. Sure, ebay prices are not always real world prices, but if people are willing to sell them that cheap the actual manufacturing cost as well as dealer or wholesale cost is probably fairly low. Back in 1997 my friend used to co own one of those aftermarket HID companies. Their cost for OE speced fabricared D2S bulbs, ignitors, and ballasts was about $500. Back in 1997 these types of kits were selling for about $2000. Now, granted the auto leveling and in some cases the AFL systems add to the cost of the HID system as a package, but I would bet the actual hardware cost of the HID system themselves is closer to about $150-$200 or even less. I mean, if dealer cost was about $500 8 years ago for an aftermarket compant surely it can't be the same or more today can it? Especially for a large high volume car manufacturer.
Old 10-18-05, 02:09 PM
andyroo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the West Coast allocation there are no luxury or sports performance packages, so does that mean we don't get Xenon HID lights?
Old 10-18-05, 04:05 PM
brewkp4
Pole Position

Just a quick thought.... do you think lexus didn't make HID standard because they predicted that more people would be willing to buy a more expensive package just to get them? With that they would be assuming that they would lose relatively little business as a result to HID not being standard. I probably do not know what I am talking about...just a thought...what do you think?
Old 10-18-05, 04:09 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brewkp4
Just a quick thought.... do you think lexus didn't make HID standard because they predicted that more people would be willing to buy a more expensive package just to get them? With that they would be assuming that they would lose relatively little business as a result to HID not being standard. I probably do not know what I am talking about...just a thought...what do you think?
I just find it a little odd that the completely new, more Lexus-esque 2006 doesn't come with the same standard headlights as the first generation did.
Old 10-18-05, 04:11 PM
LexFather

From my understanding the IS DOES have Adaptive HID steering. I just read it in a brochure. YesTHE IS WITH HIDS HAS AFS, ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYSTEM

lexus has had self leveling HIDs since 1998 with the GS/LS. THey don't offer cheap crap. As for the flicker you see in some cars, its not the bulb. All OEM bulbs are 4300k per the GOVERNMENT. Its the design. The best HID system is projector lamps, thus you see Lexus going that way. BMW has it and the S2000 has it. (and others).

I am not sure why the Is 300 has HIDs standard but its not standard on the next gen car. I am sure what will happen is in 3 years or so, they will make it standard.

As for Nissan's $150 delete, well its just a bulb your getting. Whereas with Lexus, either it was self leveling or now Adaptive. That costs way more money is is much more advanced than just a cheap bulb.
Old 10-18-05, 07:54 PM
LexIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Nissan's HID's aren't auto-levelling. I'm pretty sure Infiniti doesn't have them either, which is why they can shove them off as standard.

The M35/45 has auto leveling with the HID lights.
Old 10-18-05, 08:02 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default the original IS300 had 1st gen HID's...

now they are getting better with the Fresnel lense focus and the Adaptive left/right swivel when you steer. You will need that and some flamethrowers too when you are rallye driving your IS350 at night and need to anticipate your next bend...Whew!
Old 10-18-05, 08:48 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

just wondering, does the non HID IS come with halogen projectors or halogen reflector?
Old 10-18-05, 09:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
From my understanding the IS DOES have Adaptive HID steering. I just read it in a brochure. YesTHE IS WITH HIDS HAS AFS, ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYSTEM

lexus has had self leveling HIDs since 1998 with the GS/LS. THey don't offer cheap crap. As for the flicker you see in some cars, its not the bulb. All OEM bulbs are 4300k per the GOVERNMENT. Its the design. The best HID system is projector lamps, thus you see Lexus going that way. BMW has it and the S2000 has it. (and others).

I am not sure why the Is 300 has HIDs standard but its not standard on the next gen car. I am sure what will happen is in 3 years or so, they will make it standard.

As for Nissan's $150 delete, well its just a bulb your getting. Whereas with Lexus, either it was self leveling or now Adaptive. That costs way more money is is much more advanced than just a cheap bulb.
thanks for the clarification, that means all lexus will have the same headlight systems. which is good!
Old 10-18-05, 10:39 PM
RYL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jlin101
Perhaps Nissan only gives $150 credit for HID delete so not very many people would opt that (that's not the same as saying HID costs only $150).
Nissan offered the HID delete on the 6th gen Maxima because when the 5.5 gen Maxima came out with with HIDs, they were getting stolen. It is very easy to steal those HIDs. It happen very often here in NY and NJ. Some people that bought the 6th gen Maxima, didn't want to go through the same thing.
Old 10-19-05, 01:47 PM
savant17
Driver School Candidate

Default bulb size

any body know headlight bulb size on a base new IS? Trying to avoid getting entire lux pacakge just for HIDs.
Old 10-19-05, 01:59 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RYL
Nissan offered the HID delete on the 6th gen Maxima because when the 5.5 gen Maxima came out with with HIDs, they were getting stolen. It is very easy to steal those HIDs. It happen very often here in NY and NJ. Some people that bought the 6th gen Maxima, didn't want to go through the same thing.
I am aware of the unfortunately high theft rate of HID headlights in Nissans and Hondas in the NE, but I am sure Nissan's primary concern is their financial gain, which means selling as many cars with HID (or other high-priced items) as possible. Giving measly $150 back for a delete option is just a measure to appease concerned prospective buyers.