IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson -vs- Pioneer - The Showdown

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-07, 02:29 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
I don't understand some of the animosity towards the ML system. It's a fantastic upgrade.
I don't think there is any "animosity" towards the Mark Levinson system. True it is the best out there, but you have to remember, it is Levinson in name only. It is actually a Harmon International product. I don't even think Madrigal Labs (under the Harmon umbrella) is manufacturing it.

My feeling of what has happened in all the news groups about the differences is from people making remarks about "how superior" it is to the stock system. Then you have all of the people with the stock system that feel like they've been shafted because they 1) either could not get it or 2) decided against it or 3) did not want to spend the money.

While it cost about twice the stock system, I do not think it sounds "twice" as good.

If Mark Levinson the man, were making a system for auto's I don't think anyone except the ultra wealthy would be able to afford it. Madrigal charges these prices for the Mark Levinson home equipment.

Go check out http://www.redrosemusic.com/about.shtml sometime for the "real" Mark Levinson.

I think what has caused the "animosity" are these threads that run in ad infinitum between the "haves and have nots" of the ML system which only spur the "have nots" to feel like they've got a second class system.

I don't see this mess between the 250 and the 350 owners. Everyone should be happy with what they have, because personally everyone has one of the best cars on the road if you're a Lexus!

Cheers,

Old Oiler
Old 05-26-07, 02:34 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

I wanted ML, but unfortunately it's not available in the Northeast. The only option was to special order it which means waiting 4-6 months and taking delivery in the winter. Not sure why Lexus plays these games with only offering mostly 250 AWDs to begin with and then not allowing for any options like ML while other parts of the country can get it on their cars.
Old 05-26-07, 03:23 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
I don't think there is any "animosity" towards the Mark Levinson system. True it is the best out there, but you have to remember, it is Levinson in name only. It is actually a Harmon International product. I don't even think Madrigal Labs (under the Harmon umbrella) is manufacturing it.

My feeling of what has happened in all the news groups about the differences is from people making remarks about "how superior" it is to the stock system. Then you have all of the people with the stock system that feel like they've been shafted because they 1) either could not get it or 2) decided against it or 3) did not want to spend the money.

While it cost about twice the stock system, I do not think it sounds "twice" as good.

If Mark Levinson the man, were making a system for auto's I don't think anyone except the ultra wealthy would be able to afford it. Madrigal charges these prices for the Mark Levinson home equipment.

Go check out http://www.redrosemusic.com/about.shtml sometime for the "real" Mark Levinson.

I think what has caused the "animosity" are these threads that run in ad infinitum between the "haves and have nots" of the ML system which only spur the "have nots" to feel like they've got a second class system.

I don't see this mess between the 250 and the 350 owners. Everyone should be happy with what they have, because personally everyone has one of the best cars on the road if you're a Lexus!

Cheers,

Old Oiler
I understand what you're saying, but if anyone is that bent out of shape about it, they should have special ordered their vehicle like I did. It's lame to not get a particular option and then spend time trying to devalue it in forums.
Old 05-26-07, 03:46 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

I would have loved to do a special order, but to me no option is worth waiting more than 2 or 3 months when I only keep cars for maybe two years at a time anyway.
Old 05-26-07, 05:04 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by 15951
I understand what you're saying, but if anyone is that bent out of shape about it, they should have special ordered their vehicle like I did. It's lame to not get a particular option and then spend time trying to devalue it in forums.
It's sort of like the chicken and egg, who started it first the people with the ML or the people without it. I don't really understand why these quibbles start in the first place. I think people should be happy from the mere fact that they can afford any Lexus in the first place.

All of this quibbling about who has what compared to the next is nonsense. We are a community, not a bunch of foes.

Enjoy your Lexus and hopefully everyone else that may not have gotten everything they wanted can too!

Cheers

Old Oiler

Last edited by Old Oiler; 05-27-07 at 08:23 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-26-07, 06:12 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Weird question: I don't have ML but I still have a small speaker in the center of the front console on top near the windshield. I thought that was the ML's 14th speaker?
Old 05-26-07, 07:13 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i said it once already and i'll say it again, OF COURSE ITS GONNA SOUND BETTER THAN STOCK, ITS A UPGRADE.... DUH!

If you wanna talk about dollars vs performance over stock then things can become interesting because its all Point of View. If it was free dealer upgrade? HELL YEA i'd be a damm fool to say no. So the question is would i pay more money for it? well i didn't and i have no regrets. Course everyone who paid for it loves it over stock, its a upgrade after all, BUT ITS STILL A STOCK system when you come right down too it. 300w ISNT really something to brag about especially when its spread around 14 skprs...

BUT this not a thread about ML vs aftermarket custom set up, its stock vs an upgraded FACTORY set up.
Old 05-27-07, 08:21 AM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
i said it once already and i'll say it again, OF COURSE ITS GONNA SOUND BETTER THAN STOCK, ITS A UPGRADE.... DUH!

If you wanna talk about dollars vs performance over stock then things can become interesting because its all Point of View. If it was free dealer upgrade? HELL YEA i'd be a damm fool to say no. So the question is would i pay more money for it? well i didn't and i have no regrets. Course everyone who paid for it loves it over stock, its a upgrade after all, BUT ITS STILL A STOCK system when you come right down too it. 300w ISNT really something to brag about especially when its spread around 14 skprs...

BUT this not a thread about ML vs aftermarket custom set up, its stock vs an upgraded FACTORY set up.
Well said!

Old Oiler
Old 09-24-07, 12:16 PM
Ella
Driver School Candidate

ML is a 5 month wait in NY State!

HARSH!!!
Old 09-24-07, 01:03 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ella

HARSH!!!
+1 - that was my wait, but it was well worth it IMO
Old 09-24-07, 01:30 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ella

HARSH!!!
Wow... Strong bumping skills we have here...
Old 09-24-07, 01:32 PM
JensBoo
Pole Position

I personally think if anyone is "bent out of shape" about not getting an ML system, they should just go get a sub and amp and Voila! You will have a better sounding system than ML. 300 watts isn't anything to go waiting 5 months or so for.

I love the stock personally Stock plus my sub is sweet too.
Old 09-24-07, 02:08 PM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JensBoo
I personally think if anyone is "bent out of shape" about not getting an ML system, they should just go get a sub and amp and Voila! You will have a better sounding system than ML. 300 watts isn't anything to go waiting 5 months or so for.

I 2nd that...After I got my sub it sounds ALOT better. I think the highs are pretty good, all it needs is some extra bass.
Old 09-24-07, 03:09 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JensBoo

I think some people are content not modifying their cars in any way. It's funny because I used to always put in my own sound system the first week I got a car. Now that I'm a little older and have less time for tinkering, I'm willing to pay for whatever options you can get on a car even if I won't use them all the time or to their full abilities. Plus I don't want the regret that a lot of the non-nav buyers have within a month of driving off the lot wishing they had spent the extra to get the nav.
Old 09-24-07, 03:35 PM
JensBoo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdanon
I think some people are content not modifying their cars in any way. It's funny because I used to always put in my own sound system the first week I got a car. Now that I'm a little older and have less time for tinkering, I'm willing to pay for whatever options you can get on a car even if I won't use them all the time or to their full abilities. Plus I don't want the regret that a lot of the non-nav buyers have within a month of driving off the lot wishing they had spent the extra to get the nav.
I hear you. We installed a switch on mine so that when I don't need the boom-boom to wake the neighbors, I just shut it off and enjoy the stock stereo. It works great. No regrets here. I would like to hear the ML though, just to see what all the hype is about.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson -vs- Pioneer - The Showdown